The Dark Mod Forums

Would Like To Help With This..

squawks

Hi i'd like to get involved in this project, I've been concepting a monster up to show, it's still wip but i'd like to concept and create 3d models for you. I'm also including a game face this face has no normal map applied to it and was not a finished item :)

ok here we go

Kane unfinished - Kane

Concept Monster also WIP - monster

I like monsters :laugh:

As soon as i finish concept sketch i going to be making the hi res version of him, then i do low poly an normal map :wub:

kirsten@ashaki.org

hi squawks

both the head and your concept look really very nice. I guess you're really the person we've been looking for so long. We need someone, who is able to model AND texture objects and especially characters, since I am at the moment the only one doing both on the team and thus everything is progressing rather slow. I'm looking forward to your monster, but I guess we could hire your right away, since your work already shows your great artistic abilities :)

btw are you also familiar with rigging/animating game models? the facial expressions look very nice and we could really use someone who has some experience in this field as well.

-BT

Gentlemen and gentlemen, I give you the affable, gorgeous, potentially our first female member, and (most importantly) extremely talented, Kirsten! Otherwise know as squawks it would seem.

She is a very competent illustrator and modeller (the former being very benificial for creating characters in the latter), and I have seen enough of her work to know that she is fully capable of rendering a beautiful (or ugly as required) human being in 3D, she has just not had much time to build a decent portfolio.

In fact what enticed her to this is the allure of low poly modeling experience, which she is very keen on, and already very good at.

What she would really love to do right now is a couple of monster characters, and very original ones (not the usual creatures of mythology), and a dose of sheer originality is always welcome, especially in the monster department. So I suggest we let her warm up with those.

This is the girl that I work with that I was telling you about. Didn't expect her to come forward with the example illustration so soon though :)

The work definitely looks great. Don't know how much of a call there's going to be for unique monsters, though. We'll need one or two, tops, and they're pretty low on the list of what's needed.

Yes but at the moment, there is no shortage of characters for me to animate. After the elite guards, I have all the other guards, all the builders, the noblewoman and the naked pagan...

So we've got time for a couple of monsters before Squawks works on humans.

...and remember Thief had cray men, insect men, ape men, tree beasts, frogs, spiders, I would still like the diversity those old games had, for all the "untouched by mortal men" areas you can explore - personally I'd like more than 2 monsters if someone's so eager to do them.

She's just what we need! An extremely competent modeler.

Damn, I can't seem to load the monster, but the human head is fantastic. Is it just me, or is that a perfect Benny*?

Dare to dream, a creative and talented woman to breathe life into this crowd of grouchy bitter old men?

*called something else in TDM, honk honk

*edited - took out toon dogs.

really large monster pic lol not exactly highly detailed

this one was a huge WIP it's not something i'd pick to show you my bodies. but at 7:47am i don't have the time to sort through max files (250gig worth) so no normal maps all crappy textures. not really a good example but tough :)kanewip early

if you want more email me they take so long to upload :laugh:

* and games i've played sam an max, baldurs gate series, nwn, bf2, cod, wow, lionheart,oblivion, starcraft,redalert , aoe, settlers. never thief. so you'd have to fill me in on the style. I think maybe base a little of you designs of thief, I am confused whether this is a mod for thief or a fan made game, so you might have to give me a little info on this as some stuff on the site seems to contradict itself. either way i'd still love to do some work.

This is a mod for Doom3, that seeks to capture the same stealth atmosphere and gameplay as the Thief games. You should check out the mod's webpage if you haven't already:

http://www.thedarkmod.com/

There are also some free demos of Thief around on the internet, I'm sure someone would be happy to send you one. Knowing Thief isn't essential, but it certainly helps to have a common frame of reference when discussing what kinds of characters/creatures fit the setting.

Dare to dream, a creative and talented woman to breathe life into this crowd of grouchy bitter old men?

Yeah, you said it :D

I already told her what we're about, started introducing her to thief, so don't worry about that. I showed her the site, but the text on it wasn't clear to her. Not to worry.

Some people said they couldn't see the monster WIP so here it is.

post-10-1148604187_thumb.jpg

Regarding lycanthropes, we have a sort of werewolf, but in all honesty, it's too traditional. I much prefer Squawk's monster. But if you guys wanna have traditional lycanthropes, that's fine with me. Rat men from T3 aren't traditional lycanthropes, but we can do so much better in the monster department than ripping off the old thief games and traditional mythology, now that we have Squawks. She's got very cool monster ideas, I'd like to see what she comes up with.

Judging from the fact that she likes modelling monsters (I'm guessing, since you said she wants to :) ), and the fact that ID is monster-full, my guess is she did a demo char for ID. Of course, you can't answer that... ;):P

• 1 month later...