The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Artist / Object Modeler Available

PinkDot

Hi!

I would like to apply for the Texture Artist or/and Object Modeler position in The Dark Mod team.

I have graduated from University of Fine Arts in Poznan (Poland), faculty: Painting (5 years studies).

I have several years experience with computer graphics - both 2D and 3D.

The programs I work with are Photoshop, 3DS Max and CorelDRAW. In 2D I work with graphics tablet.

Obviously I'm the fan of Thief games series. I was working with Dromed for more than two years. I've released one fanmission - the winning entry in small polish FM contest. (The First Day of Winter). I have some experience in low poly modelling (I've made several dozen objects) and texturing (about 150 textures made). I've made also some objects and textures for another FM authors (f.e. for Timon in Forgotten Forest 2).

Dromed and dark engine are obviously not sufficient for me, so I've decided to change the engine. Your mod looks very interesting and promising and helping you would be a great challenge for me, which I was missing in Dromed...

So, my skills I could offer for The Dark Mod are:

- hand drawing and painting

- 2D computer graphics

- 3D object modelling

- UVW unwrapping

- making seamless textures with dirt, scratches etc.

- preparing bump, specular, normal maps and all the other necessary maps

Here are few screenshots from my never finished mission (because of Dromed limitations...)

screen038ab.jpg

screen065ab.jpg

screen084ab.jpg

screen093ab.jpg

screen112ab.jpg

All custom stuff you can see (textures, objects) are made by myself.

I can post more samples (also in higher resolution), if you'd like to.

Thanks.

Edited by PinkDot

Wow, I'm very impressed! I thought those screens were from TDS for a minute. :)

- 3D object modelling

- UVW unwrapping

- making seamless textures with dirt, scratches etc.

- preparing bump, specular, normal maps and all the other necessary maps

Those are exactly the skills we need right now. I think I can safely say Welcome aboard!

Wow, I'm very impressed! I thought those screens were from TDS for a minute. :)

Those are exactly the skills we need right now. I think I can safely say Welcome aboard!

I couldn't agree more. :) How about we speed things up a bit then. Welcome to the team PinkDot, glad to have you aboard.

Welcome, those are some of the best screenshots I've ever seen in Dromed - that is not a mission you should abandon! The repairs to the cathedral one especially almost brings a tear to my eye.

Perhaps you will like to rebuild it in TDM. >:)

Thanks, SneaksieDave! Yes, I eventually decided to switch my mission to some up-to-dated engine, and The Dark Mod seems to be the right one :)

You know - I'm very selfish: I need this mod for my mission, so I want to help you complete it as soon as possible.... ;)

Sneaksie - Here you are another cathedral screen (and few more):

screen104ab.jpg

screen044ab.jpg

screen047ab.jpg

screen117ab.jpg

screen088ab.jpg

BTW PinkDot, did you ever plan to re-release First Day of Winter? I didn't get to it in time before it was pulled from thiefmissions.com. sad.gif

Yes, I did plan to finish this mission and improve a bit (for the contest I managed to make only the simplest idea due to time restrictions), but there were more important things to do in my life :)

Although you still can download the contest version from this site:

http://www.thief-forum.ehost.pl/konkurs/form_bud_en.html

Never thought that the good 'ol T2 would make such a remarkable display. smile.gif

Well, but stretching engine to 150% of its intented capabilities is a big pain and takes too much time... It's possible to make small places really wonderful in dark engine but not entire big mission.

Thx for joining.

My pleasure :)

I left myself a note (seriously - in my FM's-to-be-burned-to-CD folder) some 5 months ago to keep an eye out and watch for updates of this mission to be re-released. Now I can throw that note away!

Oh, please don't tell me that I delayed you 5 months with burning your FM CD... I should definitely finish this FM one day or remake it in The Dark Mod :)

Oh, haha no, that would've been disc... 7, I think? Not even sure why I burn them all, I still have probably 75% of them to play as of yet, but I do. Helps me keep track of what's been played and how it rated by me, and what hasn't. I currently have another 1.65G waiting to be burned (thx for the bloat, TDS!).

I stopped keeping track a couple of months ago, but it was a dozen then, so I'm guessing there's probably 15 or so, maybe a few more. You can supposedly run them fine with GarrettLoader (remember, the guy who wants to support TDM in his loader), but I've never tried it again since it erased half of the TDS folder on my work machine. Oddly, everyone else seems fine with it. So I used a tool of my own to overwrite files with renames of conflicts, and then undo it all in the end. That's all there really is to installing a TDS mission. For now, at least. There are a lot of changes in the works to make it "more simple" for the masses, which in turn will make it much harder for those doing it the way I am. At that point, I may have to start skipping TDS missions. :-\

Damn, though, spar, UnrealEd kicks some ass. ;) And no, you don't need it if the mission is assembled correctly.

Yeah, TDS FM building has become rather painless these days. Garrettloader is phenomenal and Shadowspawn just finished his .IBT stripping tool. It's going to be integrated with Garrettloader. The FM author strips out all the 'vanilla' T3 content with the IBT shrinker and then Garrettloader re-inflates them with the same tool the first time you run the mission. :) Too bad we couldn't get a few more of those T3 programmer types from the community over here to help out.

TDS FM building has become rather painless these days. Garrettloader is phenomenal and Shadowspawn just finished his .IBT stripping tool. It's going to be integrated with Garrettloader. The FM author strips out all the 'vanilla' T3 content with the IBT shrinker and then Garrettloader re-inflates them with the same tool the first time you run the mission.

Ayup.. that would be what I was referring to. So someone with very bad GarrettLoader experience (me) is now completely fucked - no way to run missions without it. Yay for proprietary design. :(

Ayup.. that would be what I was referring to. So someone with very bad GarrettLoader experience (me) is now completely fucked - no way to run missions without it. Yay for proprietary design. :(

Hopefully the newer versions of Garrettloader will work for you. Have you reported the issues to the author?

A long while back, yeah (posts by me in the "report garrettloader issues here" thread), but I haven't followed up since then, because it blowing away 1.5 G of installed data was just too scary and too much work to go through for someone's buggy tool, when my own does the job without any problems. At least, until the changes come about...

It does make me wonder - is he going to handle single folder install? Because that's what I'm doing - I'm not giving TDS 5+ G of my drive space. Does he back files up and restore them piecemeal, or does he still insist on zipping them up? There is just no reason for that step, and it only invites problems. Will he handle vanilla, dual folder, Minimalist, Minimalist + JP textures, JP tex alone, EnhancEd? Yeah there's going to be problems. And why? Because he's got all this silly complexity in there, when it really only needs to do X things:

-unzip an archive

-overwrite, backing up the old files (plus IBT expansion or whatever)

-remember those files

-erase those files and restore the originals on uninstall

My install messes up on the zipping part (dumb! unnecessary!), bombs out, and I lose 1.5G. Yep I definitely want to install that again...

Edit: We always get so sidetracked. :) Poor PinkDot's thread!