The Dark Mod Forums

What Can I Do For You?

PinkDot

All right, I'm one step further :)

Now the message I get is "Shader _emptyname" and "Renderbump = no action"

I found this:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic...ight=renderbump

This guy had similar problem but I can't find any bitmap path to correct it in .ase file (I know - you don't use ase files...)

But the other thing is that the sample material file has diiffrent paths then yours:

textures/renderbump/supportborder
{
renderbump -size 128 512 -aa 2 textures/renderbump/supportborder_local.tga models/renderbump/supportborder_hi.ase

}

"textures" instead of "models" for the name of material and place for normal map

And next thing - name of material file is renderbump - not the model name... ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that doesn't matter at all - I think he used "textures" here because he was generating a normalmap for a brush texture and not for a model. but this doesn't matter, as it's just the path of the **_local.tga and the name of the material.

I think it would make things easier if you could upload your lowpoly and highpoly + your mtr-file here so that I can take a look at them myself. otherwise I'd have to guess what's wrong ;)

Thanks Dram - it works with lwo. Don't know why not with ase... ???

But I'm not happy with the final results:

well_local.jpg

1) The flat surfaces (like roof etc.) seems to be shaded, which can cause displaying them as rounded surfaces.

2) Renderbump added a lot of colourful rubbish around every piece of geometry. Why? Shouldn't the background be black?

3) I've slightly modified the UVW mapping but it wasn't recognized.... Does Doom3 need to be restarted or something to "forget" the old version of model and its UVW mapping?

4) Bricks will be changed - I will make them on the basis of brick texture which I'll use for the wall.

That Renderbump command must not like me... if I only knew why....?

It doesn't work again. Now the error message is "Couldn't load the image models/renderbump/well". But what image is he talking about?!? The diffuse texture is at textures folder....

I'm skipping to diffuse map...

Well with just diffuse map. (1024x1024)

test_diffuse.jpg

Bricks are replaced with stones. Suits better in my opinion but if you want bricks there won't be a problem to make another one as well. Variety was what many fanmission were lack of...

Hey, that looks quite good even with just the diffusemap. :)

As for variety, yes, it's easy to add different skins that can be swapped in the editor, so we can do clean/dirty versions, etc.

Wow, that's fantastic! :) Exactly the type of thing we've been needing for our props. Send a PM to oDDity. He's the guy to ask about renderbump. I'm sure he can help you figure out what's ailing you. :)

As Spring said, it's quite easy to swap skins ingame...so you may wish to do a few diffuse variations with each object to give us the maximum variety.

looks fantastic! just curious in which program did you make the uwv map(the skinning) and how much time did it take?

just asking cause for me its taking ages,and even then it turns out shit..if anyone knows a good uwv mapping vid for lightwave or studio, dont hold it back :)

I'm glad that you like it. :)

just curious in which program did you make the uwv map(the skinning) and how much time did it take?

3DS Max and its built in UVW Unwrap modifier. I've heard that Blender has powerful UVW unwrapper.

It took me... one, two hours...? I don't know cause something still was breaking my work.

BTW: Atti - nice well :). I would have few questions for you, as an author.

1) the crank is not smoothed - is it intentional?

2) I would make the middle beam wrapped around with some rope. Adding hanging one would be optional for the mapper (cause its length will depend on actual well depth). What would you think?

---

about the normal maps - I'll do it with the Nvidia plugin. IMO this object is too complex for projecting cause it has too many "holes". (f.e. it catches crank polygons on the vertical beam)

I'll use Atti's hipoly version as a reference for height map.

Thanks,

1) well alongside it should be smoothed but the edges of the cylinder shouldnt...on my model it looks like that , maybe the export procedure changed smoothing options..it happens sometimes..or it wasnt the final version you got.

wellsmooth5cb.th.jpg

2) yes, i thought of that but the chain/rope could be made as a separate object that can be added on it..this way there could be for example one with the bucket reeled up, one with seeing only the chain going down into the deep, or one that lost its bucket somehow, and skins could be set for the well and rope/chain separately.

how about that?

1) OK, I'll change it.

BTW: I can see on your picture that this middle cylinder beam is smoothed in my object but not in yours. That's also wrong, I suppose? (I'll correct it as well...)

2) yes, that's much better idea.

Wow, that's fantastic! :)

Hey it's great and useable, no doubt, but "fantastic" is a bit much... :)

If I was going to say fantastic, I'd expect it to not look so stark - to see some weathering effects, and transitions at the edges of things, instead of those perfect hard edges.

Anyway... yeah.

That looks great, Pink. Although the white circles stand out to me as odd. What are they supposed to be?

Although the white circles stand out to me as odd. What are they supposed to be?

Kind of fungus or I don't know how to call it. In general: some result of moisture.

Actually I was looking for a texture with moss, but I found this one and I liked it at the first glance.

It might be too big - that's why it looks so oddly... Anyway - I can try something else.

The moss part looks good, but the fungal rings don't look believable to me, personally.

Nobody likes my bubbles... :(;) Well, I'm not convinced to them as well... (author always needs some time for the fresh look) - I'll get rid off them.

OK, but then what's next? What about collision mesh? Is it generated automatically or manually? Did Atti made it or not?

I can't test this model in game yet. Could anybody do it for me? And also uploading to CVS - I have no acces for this misterious repository (I think Sparhawk lost all his patience trying to install my password...).

@Black Thief - for me this wood looks fine but I can try to make it darker. But wood outside is always nearly grey (because of the weather) - not dark brown, in my opinion.

EDIT:

Here's 512x512 diffuse map version without any fungus on the roof.

well_full_test_03.jpg