What Can I Do For You?

PinkDot

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually I liked the fungus - I knew what it was instantly. Perhaps you could draw some different fungus, by finding some reference pics?

I think that little detail it made it look much less stark.

And its looking a lot less stark overall with the normal maps, and I see you added a bit of weathering too on the wood, which is good.

The fungus was too big - that's right. That made him unrealistic and whole roof (object) too unique. If there's only one well with such distinguishable fungus on the roof there will be OK but if there are many of them in the city mission or in many fanmissions that would look bad. It's like these monsters in Doom 3 - they all look like clones of each other because all theirs characteristic things like scars, vains, wrinkles are exactly the same.

I think that's one of the main issues with good texturing - to make object very realistic but not too much. Unless we want to use diiffrent texture for all instances...

Anyway - I'll probably make roof with fungus in the other skin for this model but maybe not now. As far as I can see this mod needs more diffrent objects rather than diffrent skins for one object, at this moment.

I'll repeat my question - what about the collision mesh?

collision mesh isn't THAT important, since you can always do it in less than 2 minutes actually..most of our models don't have a collision-model yet. but in case you want to do it now, just create an extra lowpoly model as closely around your gamemodel as possible but with as few polys as possible - for example the roll doesn't need to be really round for the collision model, but you also shouldn't draw a simple box around everything, since otherwise arrows will stick somehwere in the air.

use this as a material name for the collision model:

"textures/common/collision"

hope that made any sense ;)

@atti actually we should create a collision model for everything at some point, since it'll bring a major performance boost. I noticed that in my mansion map - when you place an AI into the map it'll run a lot smoother with collision meshes, even if the model is very lowpoly anyway

In TDS collision meshes for more complex models (concave) should be built with many separate convex objects. Is this the same with D3 engine?

And general question: is that OK for the engine if some polygons go into other? AFAIK in dark engine this caused some additional mesh divisions...

And collision mesh should be slightly bigger, shouldn't it?

not sure what you mean about the convex objects - generally the collision model should be one single mesh wrapping around the model.

it's ok to have intersecting polygons.

well yes slightly, otherwise arrows etc would stick into the air as mentioned before.

not sure what you mean about the convex objects - generally the collision model should be one single mesh wrapping around the model.

For example: simple table

a ) 5 separate elements = 4 legs + 1 top (but still one object though)

or

b ) just 1 element wrapping the table. This will produce more polygons.

If option "a" is OK then should I make all elements closed or can I delete not visible polygons?

• 2 weeks later...

It's my first time, when I'm going to commit something to CVS, so could you just tell me if it's right or wrong?

Atti's model:

well.lwo -----> models/darkmod/props/misc

textures:

well_512.tga -----> models/darkmod/props/textures

well_local.tga -----> models/darkmod/props/textures

material:

added lines in misc.mtr

well
{
diffusemap	models/darkmod/props/textures/well_512.tga
bumpmap		models/darkmod/props/textures/well_local.tga
}

Model has collision mesh which is slightly less complex, because it's made mostly of wood. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that wooden parts of model should be wrapped by collision mesh more accurately than the stone or metal ones. That's because arrow will stick into the wood and we don't want to see it stuck in the air, while it will break when hitting the harder materials so it will look OK anyway...

I found some material names (wood, metal) in material files for other models. Which one should I write for the well? It's made of three materials and at least two of them (wood, stone) should be recognized by engine. I'm not sure but doesn't the doom engine use the material maps?

if an object consists of several materials, than just give these parts different material names - just select the stonepart and give it a material well_stone und the wood part a well_wood material. since both materials are using the same texture files it's no extra work for the engine.

(btw you don't have to name it 512 - that's not important and will probably just confuse people)

if an object consists of several materials, than just give these parts different material names - just select the stonepart and give it a material well_stone und the wood part a well_wood material. since both materials are using the same texture files it's no extra work for the engine.

Something like this?:

well_stone
{
stone

diffusemap	models/darkmod/props/textures/well.tga
}

well_wood
{
wood

}

well_metal
{
metal

}

I added metal as well.

btw you don't have to name it 512 - that's not important and will probably just confuse people

OK, It was just for myself - the original well.tga is 1024x1024 but it's probably too large file (3 MB).

BTW: Can we make .DDS format images for models as well or just for brushes?

Hmm, the files are on CVS now, but when I try to import the well into the model, I just get the stone part (no roof) and no textures. Odd, because when I open it in Lightwave it looks like it's all there.

In the editor I get this:

well2.jpg

Hmm... I have no idea why... Maybe something's wrong with materials' names? In 3dsmax they were:

tdm_well_stone

tdm_well_wood

tdm_well_metal

but tags in misc.mtr are without the "tdm_" prefix. Is that OK?

---

Tommorow I should get Doom3 (eventually...) so soon I'll be able to test my models by myself before I upload them to CVS...

but tags in misc.mtr are without the "tdm_" prefix. Is that OK?

No, they'd have to be the same. I fixed those, and that made the stone texture show up, but I can still only see the bottom of the well. Bizarre.

Are the normals the correct way? If the polygons are singlesided and the normals are pointing inwards, you wouldn't see the backside. Did you try to flip the normals on the parts you cant see? Most 3D apps can also make the normals visible, so you might check that.

Gerhard

In LW, you can flip the normals by hitting "f". I'm not sure, but I think oDDity also recommended making most things 'double-sided', which is done in the surface editor of LW (you click a checkbox in the lower-right of the surface editor panel). Disclaimer: I have no clue how to resolve the issue, I'm just saying this as an addendum to Sparhawk's post.

Are the normals the correct way? If the polygons are singlesided and the normals are pointing inwards, you wouldn't see the backside. Did you try to flip the normals on the parts you cant see? Most 3D apps can also make the normals visible, so you might check that.

If the normals were flipped then you would see the back sides of polygons which you wouldn't see normally. That doesn't cause the whole mesh to dissapear. Must be something else...

It looks like doom engine recognize only first object from the file. I'll try to make them as one mesh but with several materials.

Ah right! Didn't think of that. You would see the opposite side of the mesh because they would be inverted as well. Still, it's worth to make sure. Can't hurt.

At least with ASE from Blender I also had problems with multiple materials, so this could be the case.

Gerhard

The reason was that this model was made of four objects - 3 diffrent for diffrent materials and 1 for collision mesh. I've looked into wallcandles1.lwo model, which has collision mesh as well but it's only one mesh with diffrent materials. So did I with the new well model, and now I'm curious if it works. I read somewhere on this forum, that Multi-Sub-Objects Materials from 3Dsmax (several materials for one mesh) don't work in doom engine. Let's see...

In LW, you can flip the normals by hitting "f". I'm not sure, but I think oDDity also recommended making most things 'double-sided', which is done in the surface editor of LW (you click a checkbox in the lower-right of the surface editor panel). Disclaimer: I have no clue how to resolve the issue, I'm just saying this as an addendum to Sparhawk's post.

I think you missunderstood oddity somehow - doublesided polygons don't work in d3 and even if they would work it wouldn't make any sense. it would mean a doubled polycount and nothing else.

I guess the model isn't triangulated - same problem like in the other thread with the statues. if the materials don't work the model would be there but simply black.