The Dark Mod Forums

New Computer

Arumakani

Want to buy a new computer for under £850 but willing to go upto £1000. It should run Doom3 at full specs, aswell as any Unreal 3 engined game. Should also have no probs with Crytek's Crysis.

2 places I'm looking at are:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/systems.aspx

or

http://www.goldenelectronics.co.uk/

Any help would be cool.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

less than £1000?

Prepare to scrimp on some features then.

For instance, you'll need at least 2Gb of RAM I'd say, at least a 7800 or X1800, at least a 3800+ AMD or equiv pentium, which all means you'll have to get a cheapish mobo, case, you can save a lot if you get a CRT instead of LCD monitor, but other than that, you really need those 3 main components to be pretty decent.

Also I recommend www.scan.co.uk

I just ordered the parts for my PC from them this morning.

I was going to get it from them, but can't be arsed with building it. I can do stuff without keboard, mouse and monitor. Can use my Toshiba HDTV and a spare keyboard etc.

Which one of these then Dave?

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/Category.asp?SystemMasterCategoryID=20

Edited by Arumakani

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

:D That's cool.

I keep telling sparhawk I'm new to modding, which is true. Whereabouts in the Doom3 PC CD rom stuff is the editor? I finally managed to obtain a pre-owned copy for £9.99 and got The Movies for free :D

:D That's cool.

I keep telling sparhawk I'm new to modding, which is true. Whereabouts in the Doom3 PC CD rom stuff is the editor? I finally managed to obtain a pre-owned copy for £9.99 and got The Movies for free :D

Make sure you don't get ripped off. Sometimes it's better to pay more to avoid getting scammed.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey sorry for bumping this.

Just ordered this computer for £1100, yeah I went over budget :D :

Black and Silver Jupiter case with front and back USB ports

530 Watt Hiper Power SLI PSU

Asus A8SX motherboard (Premium brand motherboard)

AMD Athlon 64 4200 x 2 Dual Core processor (2 cores each processing at 4.2Ghz in one processor)

2 GB Kingston PC3200 DDR RAM (Premium brand memory)

1GB PCI Express Asus NVIDIA 7950GX2 graphics card

Floppy Drive

250GB SATA hard drive

16 x Dual Layer DVD +/- Rewriter

Windows XP Home SP2 with free installation and original licence and CD supplied with the PC

1 Year Collect and Return Warranty

Should be ok for a few years you guys reckon?

Edited by Arumakani

That's a marketing myth. Dual-core does not give you twice the performance of single core.

Can you extrapolate? You seem to know a lot about hardware and software. You in the business or is it a hobby?

Can you extrapolate? You seem to know a lot about hardware and software. You in the business or is it a hobby?

Dual core allows the processor to "do two things at once", in certain circumstances. Many applications cannot take advantage of this, since they require things to be done in a certain order and cannot easily parallelise their operation. The main advantage appears when you are running several applications simultaneously, like encoding an MP3 in the background while playing Doom.

I'm wondering a couple of things. I stopped following comp tech years ago, when I realized it was too much work to keep up. My questions:

1. What is the current state of CPU advances? Is another "big push" coming soon, as with P3-P4? Are we going to see P5s at some point, or have we hit a barrier of some kind and there needs to be another super innovation?

2. If the answer to 1 is "yes something big and new is coming soon", then why would anyone upgrade right now? We're how many years into Pentium 4? They can only stretch these things so far.

Yeah, the feel in the industry right now seems to be an evolutionary shift to more breadth rather than more direct power/speed.

I think the driving factor is smaller portable devices, such as cell phones, iPods, new mini-laptops, smart-toys, etc. So that a lot of the research of low power consumption/low heat/small size stuff can be applied across a larger market.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif