The Dark Mod Forums

Minimal Model List

Domarius

This list is about creating meshes and applying anims to meshes, and settings like damage and speed etc in the def files. Voices will come later when NH does the whole bunch.

Level 1

• Professional Guard (will also be used as mesh for archer)
  • Elite City Watch
  • Builder Guard

Level 2

• Builder Priest
  • Revenant
  • Builder Alcolyte

Level 3

• Noblewoman
  • Pagan woman

(stuff we don't have is next)

Level 4

• Nobleman
  • Pagan man

After 1.0 release

• Archer, different from sword guard (less armour etc.)

Not sure what else is availabe, but once Level 1 is covered, it should be okay to just move onto what's already been made and just work with that. If we do a seperate archer model, that should be pretty much least priority I think.

Well, I wasn't as minimalist as you, but this is a list I created of what we need (plus what we already have, which includes some fluff). Now that I look at it though, I don't think it's feasible for us to do in two years.

It would probably take us that long just to get the existing models in-game (at our present speed, anyway).

Already have:

The Thief (use for NPC thieves as well)

Builder Guard

Builder Priest

Builder Prelate

Builder Forger/Blacksmith (could be reskinned for Inventor Engineer)

Builder Acolyte

City Watch (could be reskinned as different guard type)

City Watch Elite (could be reskinned as different guard type)

Professional Guard (could be reskinned for variety)

Elite Soldier

Noblewoman (could be reskinned for variety)

Peasant Woman (reskin for use as generic townswoman or maid)

Werewolf (might as well finish it)

House Guard (might as well finish it)

So we have plenty of guards and plenty of builders, who will be the two most commonly used adversaries. What we're lacking are generic townsfolk types.

Need:

Nobleman

Generic Peasant Male (multiple heads and skins for variety)

Mage

Inventor

Spider (partially done)

edit: Steambot?

Well I didn't base the original list on what we have - just because we have it, doesn't mean its crucial for basic game play. Almost each one requires animating seperately. The robed builders have flowing robes, the guards have pauldrons, etc.

That's why I suggested just starting with completing the guard and the noble man.

Also it won't take this long to get each model into the game - I've just been away on a sudden business trip is all, and now have to complete my assignment in the remaning 3 days before its due since I got back.

Almost each one requires animating seperately.

I feel like I keep getting mixed messages about this. When I asked about this a month or so ago you said:

I know it should be as simple as importing the anim from one file into another, attach it, and boom - done.

So which is it? Can we reuse animations across multiple characters, or does each one need to be done separately?

Oh you quoted me out of context, tsk tsk.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=3768

That was in regards to applying the Elite guard anims to the standard guards. They share the same features - pauldrons, swords, that leather flap in front of them.

Robes will require tweaking - I could apply the same run anim for the limbs, but the extra bits will need to be animating seperately.

Ok, just to be clear, AI models of the same 'type' can reuse most animations--the robed characters can reuse the same walk animation, the guards can reuse the same search animation, etc. Is that right?

And even in cases where there are some differences, you can resuse certain parts of an animation and make modifications for specific models, rather than starting from scratch for each model?

In more concrete terms, if you get the basic search, draw weapon, etc, done for the elite guard, you'll be able to easily translate them to the other guard models already in game?

Archers won't be separate models, they'll just be regular guard types. Pros and City Watch for sure should have the animation for bows, perhaps the elites as well (though they should have standard melee weapons). Don't know about Builders. If it's easy to apply to a townsfolk we could use them for hunter or even pagan characters.

We should make it standard for all models to have an AF attachment on each side of the hip, and one on the back. The back one is for a bow, or a hammer.

In the long run it might be good to make seperate models for archers, because I'm not sure its convenient to wear that much armour when you want to fire a bow.

Of course now we are going to see builder priests searching as if they are holding a sword in front of them, but as long as you all understand we're resorting to this, then okay.

That sounds a little disgruntled. Wasn't it your idea to make a list of the *bare minimum* animations? Nobody is saying we can't make two different search animations if there's time, but you wanted a list of the absolute minimum we could get away with for gameplay. That was my understanding anyway, if we've misinterpreted you please let us know.

(Btw, the Builder Priest carries an ornate hammer, so he would be carrying a weapon anyway)

We should make it standard for all models to have an AF attachment on each side of the hip, and one on the back. The back one is for a bow, or a hammer.

Agreed.

In the long run it might be good to make seperate models for archers, because I'm not sure its convenient to wear that much armour when you want to fire a bow.

That's probably true, but I suspect something that will have to wait for after the 1.0 release.

That sounds a little disgruntled.
Sorry, it's not. I'm just warning you.

Agreed

Where should we document the desicion for 3 standard AF attatchments on all characters?

That's probably true, but I suspect something that will have to wait for after the 1.0 release.

Updated post.

Not sure what else is availabe, but once Level 1 is covered, it should be okay to just move onto what's already been made and just work with that.

I agree with that sentiment. Although what exactly do you mean by 'sword guard'?

As I see it, we currently have 4 models in the game already, with some minimal animations.

Professional Guard ('guard' for short)

Elite City Watch

Builder Guard

Revenant

(the prelate also had some animations, I thought, though I can't get him to load)

Each of these characters already has a walk, run, and one attack animation. The first three also have a draw/sheath weapon.

I can see leaving out the Revenant for now as a low priority, but since the other three are all in game with basic animations already, and can probably share most of the animations yet to be made, wouldn't it make sense to concentrate on the three of them first? Then we could move on to the noblewoman (as our only civilian model right now).

We also need to determine how important the player model is. Apparently it's fairly important that we get him in game and animated, as the camera depends on him. Though I'm still not entirely clear about how.

Would like some advice on the player model then. Programmers I think.

What do you think of the list now? I revised it - I realised that voice sets are going to come in one big heap, with as many as possible, when NH does them. So really this is just about applying anims to meshes and settings like damage and speed etc in the def files.

Gah, I saw that revenant in-game - that athletic run cycle is screaming to be made into something more inhuman and frighting... but grrr... got to wait.

That's better, but you've left out a few models that are already somewhat complete.

The regular city watch is supposedly game-ready, and should be able to use the same animations as the elite city watch.

The prelate has some animations already, apparently, and could probably reuse similar animations to the priest and acolyte (they're all robed). Though the prelate is only worth finishing if it isn't much work, personally. Not a very high demand model.

There is also the elite soldier and Builder forger who are game-ready but may need def files.

I don't think the Level 4 list is very good, but that's a long way off. I think BT has decided (and I agree) that supporting pagans right now isn't worthwhile. They're too limited in their use. It's more important to focus on generic townsfolk and AI with a lot of reusability.

Would like some advice on the player model then. Programmers I think.

Check out the following thread--apparently it already has several animations.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=3723