The Dark Mod Forums

Pinkdot's Models

PinkDot

OK, I can see how it can complicate life but what about scaling static models once, before game? Dmap creates another file with collision geometry, doesn't it? So why it can't scale them during compilation? Is it something we could potentially change when engine becomes open?

Models aren't compiled into the map geometry though, they are loaded at runtime. I imagine it is exactly as Greebo says, the collision data is baked into the compiled map (the .cm file) which means it will be out of sync if the model is scaled dynamically.

I think somebody managed to get a mover to scale dynamically with collision information on D3World, which makes sense since this collision model presumably isn't baked in during compilation.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, as I said - it only matters for models scaled dynamically. But I still can't see any major problem for static models, such as architectural models, trees and so on...

• 2 weeks later...

Couple new models I've made as a break from docks environment.

2cages.jpg

chainpadlock.jpg

padlocks.jpg

That chain uses slightly improved chain_d texture (it wasn't tiling exactly). I added local map for it. Looks like it doesn't need specular map cause highlights are in diffuse map and shines enough.

WOW! Exactly what I was looking for. I was already thinking of making such a padlock myself. Can you seperate the padlock and it's upper part (the curved bit)? This way I can make it into a proper lock which is pickable. That's why I wanted to create such a lock myself, because I wanted to create different types of locks, to create the default functions for such types.

Gerhard

Thanks, I'm glad you like it :) I found a very cool page - torture museum gallery, where's plenty of reference photos for our dungeon folder. Next one will be that Iron Maiden

@sparhawk - no problem, but what exactly do you need? Do you want two parts of padlock to be separate entities, openable like chest?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it :) I found a very cool page - torture museum gallery, where's plenty of reference photos for our dungeon folder. Next one will be that Iron Maiden

Do you also have some references to the guard rooms? I was working a bit on my lockpick map, and thought how to make the entrance room where the guard would sit, and I didn't find any references. There were plenty of torture stuff but none for the more mundane tasks. :)

@sparhawk - no problem, but what exactly do you need? Do you want two parts of padlock to be separate entities, openable like chest?

Yes. I think that would be the best solution, this way it can be used more freely. If you look at the test_lockpick.map you can see the celldoors, where I used a similar approach. The lock is just a brush with a texture, and the pin is the handle that will jiggle. I thought to make the padlocks similar to this.

Gerhard

Nice cage!

I missed the dynamically scaling of items conversation earlier. I had tried to do this, but found that something seemingly outside the SDK was always fighting me and setting the physical collision box back to the original size after I scaled it. Probably something in physics was assuming that the orientation matrix would be normalized, and I was scaling that to scale the physics and rendermodel. Worked fine for rendermodel, but engine resisted that change on the collision model.

Do you also have some references to the guard rooms?

I don't have anything like "guard room" reference. And I don't think there's anything special about this. I'd see it rather austere room with some table, chairs, maybe desk, shelves and couple props like books or bottles. It usually has kind of window open to the guarded space...

Yes. I think that would be the best solution, this way it can be used more freely. If you look at the test_lockpick.map you can see the celldoors, where I used a similar approach. The lock is just a brush with a texture, and the pin is the handle that will jiggle. I thought to make the padlocks similar to this.

OK, I'll do that.

• 2 weeks later...

I was working on graveyard skins recently. The idea was to make as easy and versatile as possible adding new inscriptions on a tombstones and blending them with existing stone textures. So if anyone needs to bury some particular character in his fanmission all he has to do is to prepare black and white texture.

Later I can post some more details on how to prepare new inscriptions - you can have them more complicated if you want, of course. Currently some inscriptions use one black and white texture used as heightmap and filtermap and some use separate maps for filter stage and separate for heightmap if necessary.

Oh, and I forgot to mention when I uploaded those models last year, that UV of models is prepared the way that lets turn them into snow covered graves. (separate UV space for horizontal and vertical planes). Here's a quick example:

shot00008.jpg

Currently only grey stone has snow version. Some tweaks might be necessary. Also there might be some typos or missing shaders - I had to write dozens of them and it's hard to find all mistakes. I'll fix them if anything appears.

A little hard to distinguish colors in that shot but it does look very cool. Sounds cool also that you have a system for applying new names easily.

Not really getting what you mean by the seperate UV space, but if it works, sweet!

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Whoa, those are great! :wub: Thanks a lot!

The only thing that I noticed was on the stone_grey_inscriptions_4 skin on grave_big_1 (and probably on other models too, I haven't looked at all of them). It looks like the carvings in the local are shifted from the darker letters in the diffuse (see image).

Edit: found some more problems. The different inscriptions do not work on grave_big_4 and grave_big_5, I always see inscription_1. The editor image of the snow_inscriptions_5 skins looks strange on the small graves, but it looks ok ingame.

One thing that is not really a problem but might be a little bit confusing is that there are skins with different inscriptions even for models that do not have inscriptions on them, such as the pole and the sarcophagi.

post-483-1185957459_thumb.jpg

I knew there would be some more bugs. :) Thanks for spotting them!

They (and a bunch of another ones...) are fixed and commited to SVN.

Editor images of inscriptions are ugly (just white and black texture) but that's because some material keywords are not recognized by DR.

Oh, I wish I had somebody to do all that dirty job... I wonder how much more I could do if I didn't have to export my models and textures to engine - just focus on next modelling job...

Not really getting what you mean by the seperate UV space, but if it works, sweet!

Graveyard models share one and the same texture (excluding insrciptions). Something like this:

gravestone_grey_snow_d.jpg

Horizontal surfaces (and sloping ones) are UV mapped in the left-upper corner, vertical ones - the rest of the texture. That horizontal white strip in the middle is for beveled edges.

Some models still need corrections - I'll do them, as soon as I get my Max working again...

BTW - some normal map tip: if you ever want to make a snowy version of your texture with normal maps, representing some vertical surface (stone wall, texture), do the following to get a piece of snow on every bump:

- in Photoshop (or other program) choose a layer with normal map.

- go to Channels

- choose Green channel, select it and copy

- paste as a layer, desaturate it (if for some reason it's not)

- invert it - now you have white light coming from the top side - we're close to snow effect...

- now you can tweak it changing brightness, contrast, levels or selecting colours etc. to get only the whitest pixels - this will look like snow on the bumps. Or at least it's a good base for manual painting snow. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody,

I've just uploaded some models, which I was going to do... I even can't remember when. My life got busy recently and I didn't have time to do it - so, sorry for that delay.

It also took me a while to get into the mod again. But I definitely want to finish that galleon model and docks theme - not much left to do, I think...

There's one more model done while ago but I never showed it yet. A rope coil: (low, mesh, hi)

zwoj_lin2.jpg

zwoj_lin_mesh.jpg

zwoj_lin_small.jpg

And I also did some cellar lamp about two months ago for one guy doing a mission in Dromed. If you're interested I can make normal and specular map for it so we can use it in TDM, but this lamp might seem a bit too modern...

lampy_dwie.jpg

I can barely fathom how that much detail comes from that mesh. Everything casts a shadow so it doesn't look like you're using alphamaps, so how the heck do you do that loop that comes off the rest and lies on the ground? :blink:

Oh, that was taken in 3dsmax, sorry about that... :). Model does use an alpha map and you won't see the shadow of that loop in a game. However model also has a shadow mesh so it still casts a shadow of the main coil.

Awesome rope coil. Great use of normals, must've been a pain to make that high poly vrs.

Curious how you made the coil, care to share the details. I probably would've made a really cylinder and bent it 1,000 degrees, making a path for it would be just as hard.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest