The Dark Mod Forums

Pinkdot's Models

PinkDot

Curious how you made the coil, care to share the details. I probably would've made a really cylinder and bent it 1,000 degrees, making a path for it would be just as hard.

I made a spiral spline for a base (but not using spiral tool, cause it creates too many vertices) and then was moving vertices one by one.

You can make that spline renderable and set the thickness, but I used it as a path for a loft object - I needed it UV mapped for projecting height map onto low poly model.

BTW: Baddcog - you work with 3ds max as well, don't you? I wrote some simple macro script for exporting models. All you do is select the model and click on icon. It takes path from the name of a dummy object, called darkmod/folder_name_here/. It saves a lot of time when you make plenty of small changes to models.

macroScript Max2ase_conversion 
(
object = $
modelname = $.name

select $darkmod*
path = $.name

select object
copy $ isSelected:on name:modelname
$.position = [0,0,0]
convertToMesh $

filename = "e:/doom3/darkmod/models/" + path + modelname + ".ASE"
exportFile filename #noPrompt selectedOnly:true

delete $
)

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for posting that script, haven't messed with those at all. Just copy/paste in notepad? put in scripts folder?

First of all, the first line is missing category name - it's not necessary, but for easier finding you can name it somehow, f.e:

macroScript Max2ase_conversion category:"Dark Mod Tools"

or whatever.

Yes - save that macroscript using notpad with .ms extension in Script folder.

Then in 3dsmax choose Utilities, Max Script, Run Script and pick it in dialog window.

Rightclick on the Toolbar and click Customize...

In the dialog that will pop up, in Category list choose Dark Mod Tools (or any name you specified)

Select your macroscript and drag in onto Toolbar. The button will appear with a name of the script on it. If you want some icon you can choose one by pressing RMB and choosing Edit Button Appearance...

I found some quite suiting icon in CWS_Output - the "Export" one. I didn't bother doing any special one but it's possible if you need to.

And that's it. But remeber to create in a scene some object, let's say a box with a name darkmod/folder_name/. This is a small trick to avoid dialog window while exporting a file - the script looks for a object with a name starting with "darkmod" and uses that name as a part of the path for exporting the file. Usually when I work with models I have several diffrent models of one theme so it's OK to have only one path for all models in a scene.

Oh, one more thing - name your models as you want the files to be named in the mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more models to put into warehouses, attics and such.

packages2.jpg

The galleon model is finished in 95%. I'm trying to get it into game right now.

BTW: How do you record movies? I know about fraps, but we can't change the resolution in our current menu, can we? (I need 640x480 for fraps).

Cool model! I'd like to see the normalmap of that one. :)

For the rope physics videos I used the built-in startRecording/stopRecording console command. This saves a demo file to your darkmod/demos folder. Then I fired up FRAPS to record the demo during replay (playDemo). I was hoping that this gives a better framerate during FRAPS recording, because the CPU isn't busy with running the actual game code, but I didn't check that.

The resolution can be changed with r_customWidth/r_customHeight in DoomConfig.cfg, in case you didn't know that. I think it can be adjusted in the menu as well.

Thanks, greebo. Last time I was trying to change the resolution it didn't work. But that was a while ago... Good to see it working! :)

EDIT: No, changing the resolution settings does not do anything - resolution stays the same. I'll try those in DoomConfg.cfg.

Here's the normal map:

package_normal.jpg

Very nice, as usual. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yeah, if we're going to merge some of the model textures into the regular texture folders, we'll need some new ones. I've actually created a new "textures/fabric" folder but haven't commited it yet. Canvas could probably go there. Only generic, fully tiling stuff should go in the main textures tree, however, everything else should stay in models/props/textures.

I have some wood, rope and rigging textures for using with level editor. Naturally, all of them are tiling and are intended to allow you to build any ships you like ;-) with brushes and patches in DR.

Rope and rigging can go to your fabric folder, I think. Could you commit that folder to SVN (even only dummy one) so neither you nor me will have problems with SVN?

Thanks!

BTw I reread this old thread from the beginning, and boy, these models look fantastic! *drool*

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Thanks Tels, I'm glad you like them. :)

As I can't do much at the moment with the mod cause SVN screwed it up for me so I can't even launch it, I decided to post some screenies of galleon. (3dsmax renders).

It still needs few tweaks and adjustments and some texture work (mostly normal and specular maps) but this is more or less how I'd like it to look like.

galleon_wip_032.jpg

galleon_wip_033.jpg

galleon_wip_034.jpg

galleon_wip_035.jpg

I got it already in game but some things like holes in eagles nest platform has to be moved out of the mast to allow player mantle through them onto the platform etc. Besides that I have to do some collision and shadow optimizing. What you see has 13k tris...

Wow! That is quite amazing. More than just a model, it's pretty much a map in and of itself. :)

Now that climbing is set up, you know can put a brush textured with "surf_ladder" around wide climbable things like that netting. Alternatively, we could make climbable versions of the texture with surf_ladder in the material flags, so that we don't need another brush.

For smaller ropes, to engage true rope climbing and mouse-orbiting mode, they have to be separate entities, and I believe they have to be AF entities. For right now though, I'm not sure there's enough editor options right now though to set up an AF rope and bind it at both ends. Did D3 have any AF chains that were bound on both ends? Might be worthwhile looking at how they did that, in case we don't have to do it ourselves. I have some WIP code to bind different parts of ragdolls to things ingame, but I have no idea how those extra constraints on specific bodies would be saved to the mapfile.

Anyway, for right now, you can just do a surf_ladder brush/texture around the ropes and you won't need to make them separate entities. Mouse movement side to side to orbit the rope won't work in that case though.

Thanks Ishtvan for a bunch of info.

Currently netting shader uses "ladder" keyword. I didn't know about surf_ladder. (or is it what you had on mind?). For extra functionality I can make them separate entities - that ship will be prefab anyway, so that shouldn't be much bigger problem.

But I wouldn't bother with those single ropes - I wouldn't expect them to act physically correct and spending next couple months trying to figure out how to set up AFs for them is probably not worth it. I'll leave them as nonsolid. But if anyone's willing to take that task - feel free to do it :).