The Dark Mod Forums

Pinkdot's Models

PinkDot

I'm having hard time with some small adjustments exporting that model in game. At this moment it's one model but eventually it will be divided into props. But anyway - player has problems with walking onto some surfaces.

He can't walk onto this one: (I lowered it down already and made sides at angles but didn't help)

shot00012.jpg

Next - stairs - player walks onto stairs with no problem but can't walk onto deck from stairs. This is the only exception:

shot00010.jpg

But he can't walk from stairs onto deck (when going upway, of course) in this situation in 90% of cases:

shot00011.jpg

and never in this case:

shot00013.jpg

I made stairs solid and flushed with deck but no change...

shot00014.jpg

I have tried diffrent things - moving stairs, flushing with deck floor etc...

Of course jumping helps but that's not what I want...

Any ideas? These heights seem to me too small to be a problem. What else is taken into account when computing player's collision under feet?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A problem might be the side angles of the grating and the stairs. Are the sides of the stairs purely vertical or some steep angle? I think (not sure though) the player can only get up slopes of up to 45° now, regardless of the height of the obstacles. You could try covering them with a rectangular collision brush to test it for now, but in the long term it would of course be much better if this was going to be fixed. :)

The height of the stairs do not seem too much for me, I think the maximum height the player can step up is 16.

Thanks angua - I changed the angle of sides of that grating and that helped. I'm not entirely happy with its shape now, but that will do for now.

Ideally I'd like player to be able to overcome such small obstacles with no problem. It shouldn't depend only on the angle, cause we might end up with player unable to go onto a carpet... :unsure:

Hmm.... but there must be something else wrong... stairs are usually vertical and higher than that gratinga and player can walk onto them...

---

BTW: and stairs problem is fixed now as well. It was actually my fault... :blush: I didn't do dmap after reloading model...

It shouldn't depend only on the angle, cause we might end up with player unable to go onto a carpet... :unsure:

Don't worry, the AI won't follow him, as they get stuck on a piece of paper :/ In my case, the AI always gets stuck on the of rope that is on the rope coil. I think in the long term we need to teach the AI how to walk/jump over 5..25cm high obstacles because putting monster_clip brushes around everything becomes very tedious...

Btw, excellent model! I guess after the moustache-awareness, we now need to implement an eye-patch and a hook and a wooden leg :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Sweet, it would be nice to have a test map showcasing this model, so that those of us who are mapping-challenged can get a chance to run around in it. ;)

As for the steps:

From what I remember looking at the idPhysics_Player::StepUp code, the angles shouldn't matter. If the vertical step is low enough, it's supposed to just do a test where it moves the clipmodel up and over, and allow the step up if it fits. As you can tell by all the italics, I belive you that this isn't happening in reality. Maybe there is a bug in Id's stepping code that we'll have to find.

Sweet, it would be nice to have a test map showcasing this model, so that those of us who are mapping-challenged can get a chance to run around in it.

I'm working on that! :)

From what I remember looking at the idPhysics_Player::StepUp code, the angles shouldn't matter. If the vertical step is low enough, it's supposed to just do a test where it moves the clipmodel up and over, and allow the step up if it fits. As you can tell by all the italics, I belive you that this isn't happening in reality. Maybe there is a bug in Id's stepping code that we'll have to find.

After some modification of the side's angle I got a stage, where I couldn't walk on the grating but I could run onto it, so it looks like it's speed dependent.

Anyway - this part of the ship will probably change, cause I'm going to carve a hole there, make grating a door, so it might act properly when grating is entity or I can flush it with the deck if it still causes problems.

We don't have to implement that - what you see (in every game) is already one-eye view... ;)

True, but our thief is currently a cyclop:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclops

:D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hah. I was just thinking of doing the same. Nice job. :)

Definitely upload a version without the rope too, for other locations within the city.

Definitely upload a version without the rope too, for other locations within the city.

OK, I will. Actually skin replacing rope with nodraw should do.

Weapons folder is the right one to upload them, isn't it?

I'm not sure about putting it under weapons...I would tend to assume that would be for hand to hand weapons. Maybe somewhere under mechanical? I don't know. Where would mappers look for it?

Might as well make it a generic flag model, with the possibility of different skins. So people could easily customise it to be a pirate flag, an Inventor's Guild flag (I'm sure they need to sail places sometimes), a Builder Church flag, some flags for various Guilds and merchant families, maybe even some country flags (does the City have an emblem?), etc. One could even stick an alpha map on it to get a differently-shaped flag. Lots of possibilities here.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Please not a Disney skull and crossbones. Let's go for a little historical accuracy.

There are some allegedly-historically-accurate (as well as some possibly-not-historically-accurate) pirate flags here: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Pirate_flags

The one there labelled "Jolly-roger.svg" looks a bit Disney to me. Is that what you meant, Springheel?

I particularly like these ones, personally:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Pi..._Thomas_Tew.svg - no skull, just an arm with a blade

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Pi...ack_Rackham.svg - skull, with crossed blades below

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Pi...Henry_Every.svg - sideways-facing skull wearing bandanna, with crossed bones below

All public domain. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I like the sideways one as well. I guess there's no reason we can't have more than one, since it's just cutting and pasting.