The Dark Mod Forums

Pinkdot's Models

PinkDot

I think Quake 4 engine uses material maps, so each pixel can be made of diffrent material. If that's the Doom 3 feature too, that would work the best for the objects made of several materials.

Unfortunately that material map feature is not in D3. :( We talked about adding it ourselves, and while it seems possible, it'd be a significant undertaking of a few months work most likely, so I wouldn't expect it to be in the first release.

If prefabs can be rotated, prefabs with collision hulls made from each one separately would probably do the trick in this case. Then if we wanted we could put in a well with no wood housing on top too, in case the wood decayed long ago or burned down or something, so maybe it's a good thing to have anyway.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rotation does work in DarkRadiant - all objects rotate around a common centre. Presently the location of the centre is automatically calculated based on the objects' positions, but presumably it would be not too difficult to allow the user to set the centre point manually.

Unfortunately that material map feature is not in D3. :( We talked about adding it ourselves, and while it seems possible, it'd be a significant undertaking of a few months work most likely, so I wouldn't expect it to be in the first release.

If prefabs can be rotated, prefabs with collision hulls made from each one separately would probably do the trick in this case. Then if we wanted we could put in a well with no wood housing on top too, in case the wood decayed long ago or burned down or something, so maybe it's a good thing to have anyway.

Perhaps we can errr...take a peek into the Q4 SDK? :D

Standing candelabra added to repository.

I put it in the Lights/Extinguishable folder. I have realised that we don't have any separate candle model. I think we can make one on the basis of candlestick model.

I made two materials for it, so shadows can be cast by modeled parts.

_Atti_ - you can shot with an arrow through the biggest gap. :);) But the hole is not very accurate as I wanted to keep collision model reasonably low poly...

BTW: Springheel, can I also update the 'New Model Additions to CVS' thread or is only you who does it?

BTW: Springheel, can I also update the 'New Model Additions to CVS' thread or is only you who does it?

You can post there too. That will let me know there's a new image to be added to the models webpage.

How to make arrows sticking into the curtain instead of breaking against metal surface...?

This is how my materials look like now:

curtain01
{		
description "cloth"

{
	blend	diffusemap	
	map	models/darkmod/props/textures/curtain01_d.tga
	alphatest 0.5
}

bumpmap		models/darkmod/props/textures/curtain01_local.tga
specularmap	models/darkmod/props/textures/curtain01_s.tga
}

Check this out:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=2974

Basically, you're just missing the surftype15 line

Thanks! :)

I had copied it from banner meterial but when I saw that it didn't work I removed it cause I simply didn't understand the meaning of it... :)

It doesn't work now anyway but this material must be not implemented yet, I suppose cause it doesn't work with banners neither...

Another question - how to add selfillumination map into material definition? I would like to add some subtle illumination from windows for curtains.

BTW: I wonder nobody's using them or am I missing something...? I think that wooden logs in fireplace, candles and all kind of lights should have them...

BTW: I wonder nobody's using them or am I missing something...? I think that wooden logs in fireplace, candles and all kind of lights should have them...

There are some problems making lights that can turn off self illuminated, or stuff that's lit by fires that can be put out. I guess if it's only self illuminated to be bright when the light is on, that might be okay since we could write some code to swap the skins when the ligh gets turned off (there are however some problems in that prefabs/cloning don't copy targets well, so the mapper might have to put in the name of some entity every time they placed a new extinguishable torch or something, which is bad).

For the "dark" case though, you'd have to make the "dark" skin such that it still looked like it was lit normally when someone brought an external light over, since you never know if the AI or the player is going to bring a torch over.

Also, some of the flame entities have lights that move to create a flickering effect, but if the self illumination didn't change in sync with this it would look weird. Overall, you have to be careful with creating faked illumination effects when stuff is already being lit by dynamic lighting.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about my lack of creativity recently... I'm very busy in my real life and all my spare time (if there is any...) I spend on making some models for my friend's Dromed contest mission (what I have promised him long time ago...)

It may take a while before I'll be back with some models here...

• 4 weeks later...

Few words about my current plans:

At this moment I'm working on boar head trophy - I didn't want antlers to feel alone... ;)

boar_head_models.jpg

Only models and UV mapping done so far. Texture will make it alive... :)

Low poly model - 682 tris.

---

I'm going also to make rusted skin for cutlery and broken models - as junk. They'll have the same UV as regular cutlery, so we can make easily skins matching both sets of cutlery using the same textures.

And after these two things I'm going to switch to graveyard theme. I'd like to make about 10-15 diffrent grave models and some other (bones, sculptured tombstones etc..) This way we can make use of our Revenant character...

This summer I've took plenty of graveyard references photos while travelling around Ireland so they're just waiting to be used.

I have some questions:

- what about the engravings on the stones - should they be clear (so player is able to read) or just some blurred letters, so they are more versatile?

- if they should be clear, what names/texts should there be - have you got any ideas already?

- any symbols should appear? Like hammer or gear or whatever...?

The head looks great PD. :) Would you be able to include just the wood backing as well? That way we can always attach different heads/objects to it at a later date.

And after these two things I'm going to switch to graveyard theme.

That would be great. It's the only folder we don't have any models for yet. Now that we have zombies and revenants, it would be good to have a crypt set of models.

I don't know that I'd worry about making skeletons/skulls though--we can probably just use the D3 versions.

Tombstones, crypts, etc, are badly needed.

- what about the engravings on the stones - should they be clear (so player is able to read) or just some blurred letters, so they are more versatile?

I think blurred/weather worn is probably best, along with a few blank skins that mappers can use to make their own specialized versions. I'll make a personal request for no "in joke" text--nothing is quite as immersion breaking as cemetaries full of puns.

Keep in mind that they wouldn't use a cross in this world, but the symbols on the tombstones should be hammer motifs and cog/gears.

Wow, thats a superb looking mount!

"Sorry about my lack of creativity recently... I'm very busy in my real life and all my spare time (if there is any...)"

Same here, i've just finished driving school, and other things. Time was way short for creativity..

I am into some furniture now (just finished a cupboard) but if there is anything in particular that more important than point to it right away.

One thing sticking out in the maps we're getting right now is our lack of variety in our lights. We really could use more different kinds of lights, especially chandeliers--I remember you making a few good ones waaay back, atti. We could also use some braziers, and some more gas or electric wall-lights.

• 4 weeks later...

Whenever life starts slowing down again Pink, I'm eagerly awaiting the unveiling of the textured boar. :)

Thanks, that's what I really would like to do now. At this moment I'm on my holidays and I still have to finish my another job (making maps for Thief translation)... But in about one week I'll should have more free time...

• 2 weeks later...

I think it looks quite good, though I agree with Spar that it looks a little comical right now with that grin. Any way of modifying that with the texture? I wonder if the eyeballs looked more empty (flat white colour) if that would help?

Also, I'd recommend toning down the dark lines on the top of the teeth--in reality they would be far less distinctive and it adds a bit of a cartoony look to that area.

The hair looks excellent. :)