Pinkdot's Models

PinkDot

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the performance is OK so far (30-50 fps), so unless I really need to turn it off I prefer to keep moonshadows for atmosphere reason. I don't know the performance with wandering AI there yet.

That's exactly the problem - having a large shadowcasting light multiplies the performance penalty of everything that goes inside the light volume. As soon as you have a few AI, which are dynamic, animated meshes with dynamic, animated shadowvolumes, the performance impact of that one moonlight could skyrocket.

Still, there are ways to sidestep the issue if you really want the effect, such as having the shadowcasting moonlight in one deserted part of the graveyard and then moving into another, darker part with AI but no moonlight.

You also might find that using soft-shadow decals is effective in this situation, since these have no performance impact and also avoid the "harsh shadow" effect.

You also might find that using soft-shadow decals is effective in this situation, since these have no performance impact and also avoid the "harsh shadow" effect.

Thanks for suggestion, I'll see if I need it.

-----

Spring - graveyard folder in The Gallery is already updated. Tommorrow I'll do The Hammers.

Thanks Pink...are those images in the architecture folder there by accident?

Oh, I overlooked your post, but I deleted them already anyway. I doubled some of them in architecture folder by accident cause sometime it resets the destination folder field while uploading.

---

The Hammers are in the gallery as well.

Currently I'm improving boar head model and making variation to model and skin: we will have black boar with closed snout also. (the skin matches both models)

Wow, that makes a big difference! :)

BTW, any chance you could upload that plaque just by itself? That would be a nice generic purpose plaque for mappers to put things on.

Cool. B)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

• 1 month later...

OK, I feel like doing something BIG at this time :) What about a ship? Docks theme is another neglected one but very attractive in maps, so that's the way I'd like to go now. Besides the model below I'd like to make of course whole set of docks models like wooden piers, boats and all that sea port stuff and ship equipment.

Here's very early stage of my galleon. The reference image isn't very detailed thus leaves some space for imagination.

I aim at 3000 polys for this ship. It could be walkable, not only for decorating purposes, I think.

galleon0a1.jpg

Very cool! You may want to check Odd's model pack, because it had a quite large galleon in it as well. I wasn't quite sure what to do with it because it was so big. I'm not sure how finished it was. Do you have access to those files? If not I can post it individually on ftp.

I took a look into Oddity's pack - there are two versions of galleon but I don't know what's the diffrence between them. Maybe one is textured or uvmapped? If not - I can try texturing it so we could have two galleons for variety.

And it's true that it's big - bigger than mine I think. It has also some interiors - I'm not sure how difficult would it be to make it walkable for AI.

I reckon! That is going to look incredibly cool when it's textured. I know that because it already looks cool even without textures. :)

That rigging seriously really needs to be climbable. That would be awesome.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yeah, that looks great. I was wondering, how hard would it be to have it hollow on the inside so that mappers could put whatever ship's quarters they want in it?

Also, what if a mapper made standard ship's quarters including monsterclip where appropriate and floor brushes, then made a prefab out of the entire thing. Would that make it possible to quickly place in a walkable, explorable ship?

Crap, my amazing sense of precognition are predicting a request to generalize rope climbing to rigging-climbing... :) Argh, we might have to do a complete overhaul of climbing and just make one general climbing method that works for ropes, ladders, rigging and also vine-arrow covered surfaces.

That's going to take some doing. General question though: for tilted surfaces like this, should we pitch the player's view to simulate their body laying at an angle on it, or should we just keep the view straight up and down? I'd vote for keeping the view straight up and down, because in reality you can keep your head straight even if your body is tilted forward. (also it's easier to code ;))

Crap, my amazing sense of precognition are predicting a request to generalize rope climbing to rigging-climbing... :)

:D

Argh, we might have to do a complete overhaul of climbing and just make one general climbing method that works for ropes, ladders, rigging and also vine-arrow covered surfaces.

Whatever method works for vine-covered surfaces should also work for rigging without too much adjustment. So it's not really work that we wouldn't have had to do anyway.

That's going to take some doing. General question though: for tilted surfaces like this, should we pitch the player's view to simulate their body laying at an angle on it, or should we just keep the view straight up and down? I'd vote for keeping the view straight up and down, because in reality you can keep your head straight even if your body is tilted forward. (also it's easier to code ;))

It might be cool to have tilting. But if it's too hard then forget it.

If we're going to have a climbing discussion it should get moved to another thread. Don't want to get in the way of the fantabulous artwork. :)