The Dark Mod Forums

Some Texture Fix-ups

SneaksieDave

1. As far as I know, this is completely independant of the current reorg in progress, and is instead based solely on the textures themselves.

2. I haven't looked at the materials or individual files to figure out for sure what is up, that comes later. For now, I'm only reporting what I see in the editor.

That said,

There are some textures that have various problems. If no one steps up to claim them or the right to fix, I'd like to fix them up myself. Speak up soon if you object. ^_^

-foliage/wall/hedge_001 - doesn't tile (ascottk)

-slate/floor/roof_002 - needs tiling fixes in one direction (ascottk)

-stone/floor/brick_001 - normalmap is reversed (diffuse bricks appear to bow outward; plus if it's a floor, concrete oozing out of the cracks wouldn't work, everyone would be tripping!)

-stone/floor/brick_002 - doesn't tile (ascottk)

-stone/floor/brick_003 - normal map reversed (same reason as _001) (ascottk)

-stone/floor/cobble_002 - normal map is very wrong.. either shifted or rotated or... (ascottk)

-stone/floor/cobble_003 - normal map reversed (ascottk)

-wood/ceiling/plastered_001 - no normal map

-wood/floor/tile_weave_001 - no normal map

Fix: provided normal map; texture didn't tile either, also fixed diffuse and specular

-wood/trim/beam_001 - normal map reversed

-wood/trim/molding_001 - no idea, normal map is wrong or scaled or ...

Fix: none; maybe it is okay afterall (?)

-wood/trim/molding_002 - normal map too shallow (but that's just an opinion)

-wood/trim/molding_004 - normal map too shallow (but that's just an opinion)

-wood/trim/panel_003 - wrong normal map, seems meant to use the much better one from panel_002?

Fix: altered material to use other normal map

-wood/wall/wallpaper_001 - might want to invert normalmap, so it's like the other wallpapers

Fix: reversed normalmap

-wood/wall/wallpaper_003 - no normal map

Fix: supplied normalmap

Edit: If I do proceed, I'll track progress in this thread. Gildoran, I could either FTP any fixes or submit them myself, whichever you prefer.

Edited by SneaksieDave

I've also been compiling a list of things to fix... check materials/gildoran_notes.txt for details. Looks like you noticed some things I didn't and vice versa.

One thing I need to do in an announcement to beta-mappers (or something along those lines), is describe the categories of floor/ceiling/wall/trim and what they mean... floor usually refers to tiling both vertically and horizontally more than how it's actually used. (though if it has large supports, that'll usually cause it to end up in ceiling)

I'd love it if you could construct normalmaps for the textures that are missing them. :D (please hold off on the wallpaper, though; I intend to do some stuff with that)

• 1 month later...

-foliage/wall/hedge_001 - doesn't tile

-slate/floor/roof_002 - needs tiling fixes in one direction

doom32006080319430520jb2.th.jpg

-stone/floor/brick_003 - normal map reversed

-stone/floor/brick_005 - normal map reversed

-stone/floor/brick_002 - doesn't tile

doom32006080321555470vt9.th.jpg

-stone/floor/cobble_003 - normal map reversed redone normal map & fixed tiling issues

-stone/floor/cobble_002 - normal map is very wrong

Yikes, there's a lot of normal maps that could be fixed. Some of those look look like they were generated from the diffuse maps which do not look very good.

I suppose all of the more complicated photosourced textures had their normals done with the Nvidia plug-in (ie those where it would be forbiddingly time-consuming to build a 3D model for the map).

Kudos if you're gonna tackle that - you're doing an excellent job so far. :)

Brick_005's normal map was not reversed. I took the photo myself and generated it, purposely with the mortar coming out of the cracks, because that's the way it is. I'm reverting it.

Edit: Bah, since this texture has already been questioned at least three times, perhaps we should have both versions. If the inverted normalmap is put up, we can have the true version (mortar spilling _out_ of bricks, as shown in the diffuse), and the inverted version.

I suppose all of the more complicated photosourced textures had their normals done with the Nvidia plug-in (ie those where it would be forbiddingly time-consuming to build a 3D model for the map).

Kudos if you're gonna tackle that - you're doing an excellent job so far. :)

I've been using this technique for a while to create normal maps. I only use the diffuse map (top layer & opacity set to about 10%) for detail. Sometimes I have to invert the colors on the diffuse to get the height info I need.

http://www.quake3bits.com/htm/tutorials/cr...from_images.htm

Also I use the gimp & its normal map plugin:

http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/normalmap/

You have to be careful with gradients if you want rounded edges. This plugin interprets those as being angular so you have to use a gaussian blur in order to get decent rounded edges.

Before I commit this, I'd like to know if there are any objections. I'm not using caswpanel02.tga for the panel_001_etched because it'll be using a different normal map, but the same diffuse map as panel_001. The normal map IMO adds the etched details without the need for a separate diffuse map.

panel001etchedog7.th.jpg

// Material Directory: /textures/darkmod/metal/trim/

textures/darkmod/metal/trim/panel_001
{
metal

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/castle/wall/caswpanel01
diffusemap	  textures/darkmod/castle/wall/caswpanel01.tga
bumpmap		 textures/darkmod/castle/wall/caswpanel01_local.tga

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 _white.tga
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 textures/darkmod/castle/wall/caswpanel01.tga
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}
}

textures/darkmod/metal/trim/panel_001_etched
{
metal

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/castle/wall/caswpanel01
diffusemap	  textures/darkmod/castle/wall/caswpanel01.tga
bumpmap		 textures/darkmod/castle/wall/caswpanel02_local.tga

{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
	map		 _white.tga
	rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
	if ( parm11 > 0 )
	blend	   add
	map		 textures/darkmod/castle/wall/caswpanel01.tga
	rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}
}

Before I commit this, I'd like to know if there are any objections. I'm not using caswpanel02.tga for the panel_001_etched because it'll be using a different normal map, but the same diffuse map as panel_001. The normal map IMO adds the etched details without the need for a separate diffuse map.

panel001etchedog7.th.jpg

I don't think it's a good idea to share the same diffuse, because the frob highlight uses the diffusemap, so it would look bad when frobbed.

Also, with the panels, you did them a bit much I think:

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image1bl8.th.jpg

As you can see they are black near the edges, it looks very cartoony. I think if it wasn't as strong as now it should be great :)

Also, with the panels, you did them a bit much I think:

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image1bl8.th.jpg

As you can see they are black near the edges, it looks very cartoony. I think if it wasn't as strong as now it should be great :)

Yeah, that's why I was embarrassed with my previous post. I was designing the normal maps based on what I saw in-game. The Parallax Mod was installed so that's how the normal maps were designed around.

I'll go back & design without tPM installed.

• 7 months later...

I touched up the bookshelf textures. The old diffuse was washed out and the normalmap, flat and undefined, so I upped the contrast and gave the book spines some curvature.

If you guys don't like the change, we can revert, of course; it's just that this particular issue has been grating on me for a long time. ;)

post-58-1173934756_thumb.jpg

Yeah, it looks much better. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I think the colours of the books need to be desaturated a bit--upping the contrast has made some of the pinks become quite noticeable. Other than that it's an improvement. :)

• 7 months later...

Just did some fix ups to wood texture metal_decorated. Gave it a new normalmap (old one was mostly flat), a new specular (old was very low contrast grey - everything at same shine), and removed the cursed blue (blue?!) wood outline from it. Why on earth it was blue, I have wondered for years.

Anyway, if anyone was especially attached to this texture how it was, we can of course roll it back, or just use this as a second non-Disneyland version.

post-58-1194732074_thumb.jpg

Just did some fix ups to wood texture metal_decorated. Gave it a new normalmap (old one was mostly flat), a new specular (old was very low contrast grey - everything at same shine), and removed the cursed blue (blue?!) wood outline from it. Why on earth it was blue, I have wondered for years.

Anyway, if anyone was especially attached to this texture how it was, we can of course roll it back, or just use this as a second non-Disneyland version.

I trust you on that the new version looks better :) - albeit you beat me in touching it up before I could even use the old one in a testmap :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I think that's a definite improvement. Maybe tone down the specular (or diffuse brightness) of the metal? It seems to stand out quite a bit.

Could someone fix scratched in the wood texture category. It's great except for the huge black lines used to seperate the boards. I think the black part should be brown like the rest of the board, [but darker] and the bump map used to emphasize the separation.