The Dark Mod Forums

Remakes Of 1,2 And 3

DopeFishhh

It"s not as simple as that. :)

Why? Is he Warren Spector or something? I can tell he knows his stuff with regards to technical stuff, but he's obnoxious.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every so often I turn on the public forums just to see if I'm missing anything....

Apparently not.

Every so often I turn on the public forums just to see if I'm missing anything....

Apparently not.

Yeah, it's a good idea to be holed up in a forum with liked minded people so you don't have to hear others opinions. Best to stick to the mod developers one then <_<

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

FFS guys I make a post and you turn it into a tornado of stupidity...

Getting back on topic. My question was mostly directed at how as good those games were they are still very old and at the moment I can't seem to run them on my system. A remake in TDM would have ALOT going for it, everyone who missed out on the originals could play it now in much greater detail (I know alot of people who would dismiss a game based on graphics).

(I know alot of people who would dismiss a game based on graphics).

Yes but these usually (note that I say usually, not always) don't like Thief anyway, as it takes a lot of patience etc to enjoy.

Personally I'd love to see a remake, and might even help make one after we finish TDM and it's campaign.

It would be nice if Thief Gold and II were remade so XP could run them flawlessly. As for Vista, I bet no Dark Engine games will run. :...(

And my "Yawn" comment was to indicate that you should have wound down the silly arguments as it's not the place.

XP Does run Thief 2 Very well I might add. Make the setup.exe on the cd under properties run under windows98/ME option. Then when you play the game imediately after starting it up switch to ALT CTRL DEL and set the thief2.exe affinity to CPU 0 or 1 and it will run nicely. I used to have a problem where the game would run slow then really fast but now it runs at a contant speed that is normal. As for Vista- I couldn't get it to run on Beta 2. (Vista is missing proper drivers especially for Sound Blaster anyway.) A 64-bit Thief game might be an interesting idea though. :)

the only reason I see for remaking it would be to create the entire realm as a single map (which has been disussed at length in a different thread) You know how the Lost City is entered from right outside Ramirez's place? it would be pretty cool, if you could access the Lost City from the level Assassins, which could only be done if the game were remade treating the whole world as one map, but that just seems completely unfeasible.

Milestones approaching:

Recital: 3-24-12

ToughMudder: 4-15-12

Release first FM: ?-?-20??

That would be so cool. The whole city completely mapped and free to explore. You have a central story possibly, or get given missions to do etc.

Well I used to random crashes on TII on XP. Every 15 mins or so. Gone now though for some reason. Got TG working on my non-HT one eventually.

I played all the way through T2 on an XP box without any problems ever. I didn't realize it was an issue. I haven't installed TDS yet though, which I've heard does have XP issues.

Plus the Nvidea Sky. Rubbish.

I keep hoping that someday someone will create a 100% software emulation of the old Voodoo card, so we can play old 3D-accelerated games the way they originally looked.

F**K modern card makers for blowing off proper implementation of earlier D3D standards.

• 1 month later...
Doom didn't actually get a remake, it got a sequel.

A "remake" would be copying the entire map set and storyline into a new engine, which in my view would be very boring.

Actually thats more of a "Remaster" then a "Remake". The special editions of Terminator 2 is a "Remastered" version. Spielberg's version of War of the Worlds is a "Remake" version.

Those that fall somewhere between usually fall under teh "Remastered" part with bonus features (14-mins of footage that was deleted)... or I guess you can say "Reedited" version. So if it were remade it would be "Thief: The dark Project, Remastered and Reedited" since the levels would undoubtably expanded upon and the graphics improved but it would stay generally the same... gameplay wise.

And if the game were ever remade like that, it would be cool.

Doom 3 was not a remake of Doom. The only thing they have in common is the premise.

Then it was a remake, there really wasn't much to the story of doom in the first place so there really wasn't a lot it had to stay true to. Making it a better remake then some movies are to they're original source material. Although I agree Serious Sam is more of a remake of Doom then Doom 3 is.... Gameplay wise at least.

Edited by Vancore

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing a gorgeous remake of Bafford's mission. It holds so much nostalgia for us all that I could see that, but the entire game? That would seem to be too much work and I would hope that the individuals that would devote the time to remake these games would consider if their resources were better spent on making new campaigns. (And as we all know, the rule is that a team might be able to produce a mission, but not a campaign. Thief2x has been the only exception and for good reason.)

I think if there should be a remake, you should go for a *really* oldschool game, like Bard's Tale or Zork or something (or my idea, Guild of Thieves), where you could keep the story but really, totally recreate the world in a vastly different modality. Now that would be a rush.

There just isn't enough added value IMHO with remaking the OMs (even putting aside copyright issues); it's like a song cover ... it just sounds dumb unless it's really offering something new.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I was going to remake Keepers Training with tds. Even though it was a "training" mission for noobs, it still had a lot to offer. There could have been moving lights and AI to avoid, an extended background of Garrett (more backstory about why he left the Keepers - something more about the assassins, maybe initiates were not volunteers but forced into it ), the day by day concept (day 1: go through this maze w/o being detected, day 2: a different obstacle with more AI, etc.), and more.

• 1 month later...