The Dark Mod Forums

Basic Gameplay Model Requests

Springheel

Ok, to go along with our Mansion Pack, we're going to need the models that are required for basic play. Things like our lightgem, weapons and equipment. Just like the other thread, I'll post links to reference pictures and record who is doing what. Stars in front of the object mean it has already been spoken for. Completed objects will be highlighted in red once they are uploaded to the ftp site.

Please sign up for anything you are interested in.

(update: Jan 15th)

HUD Elements:

** Lightgem/compass -- TYROT -- WIP

Weapons:

** Short Sword -- DeepOmega -- WIP

** Bow -- oDDity

Noise Arrow

Rope Arrow

Equipment:

** Flashbomb -- Deep Omega -- WIP

** Holy Water Flask -- TYROT -- Example

** Potion Bottle -- Fingernail -- Example #1 --

** Explosive Mine -- TYROT

** Gas Mine -- Atti

Flare

** Looking Glass (telescope) -- -- Fingernail -- http://www.scientificcollectables.com/page_telescopes.htm -- WIP

Lockpicks

Edited by Springheel

• 1 month later...
But i couldnt find refrences for items. Should i stick with the original thief designs?

Some of those are missing reference pictures at the moment. Before you do the weapons, let me check with another member who is working on getting new weapons into the game...I can't remember if he is doing the models or not.

I'll post shortly.

edit: Ok, he's working on the programming but is just using placeholder models. If you'd like to start with the blackjack (here's a good picture to work from: http://www.thieveryut.com/weapon/blackjack.jpg ), I'll try to get reference pictures for the bow and holy water flask shortly.

Is there anything left for me to model:) i just realized im coming one month later:)

Oh, there definitely is. But there are more things in the Mansion Pack thread than this one. Still, if you'd like to do these, they now have concept art for them:

Blackjack

Holy Water flask

I'll have to get some people working on the concept art for the others.

They mean the model has been spoken for. I guess I said it in the other request post, but not this one. I'll add it.

I'm far enough with my progress on the blackjack that it is ready to have models and animations dropped straight into it :)

Blackjack model assets:

• viewblackjack.md5mesh - static, textured mesh file of a hand holding a blackjack, to be seen in first person view. (the rest of these files are animations for this mesh file)
  • blackjack_raise.md5anim - pulling out the blackjack. What you see when you select the blackjack as a weapon.
  • blackjack_idle.md5anim - holding the blackjack. What you see when the blackjack is selected but doing nothing, just hovering around because the Thief can't hold it perfectly still like a robot.
  • blackjack_start.md5anim - Raising the blackjack in preperation to strike someone. What you see when you click and hold the attack button.
  • blackjack_throw.md5anim - Dropping the blackjack to strike someone. What you see when you let go of the attack button.
  • blackjack_lower.md5anim - putting the blackjack away. What you see when you un-select the blackjack for another weapon.

Some tutorials on how to get models into Doom 3 properly can be found here:

Doom3 Tutorial Listings

(scroll down to the HTML/TXT TUTORIALS section, then further down to the Modelling section)

That is by far the definitive list of Doom 3 tutorials, for EVERYTHING about the game.

Suggestions from that page:

Weapon/item models

Modelling the Plasma Tick

Edited by Domarius

dear DOMARIUS :)

thanks for that link. Actually i could model this blackjack right away but it may take little longer to make the animations for engine. I mean i m still in the learning level. Once i got the basics you will get your animations in no time... (PP) (*)

So if you guys need that meshes right away let me focus on that and upload along with the other objects...

Best ...

(*) personal promise :)

Won't we need our own thief's hand and arm in the animation though? Can't you just use the torch or some thing from D3 as a test model until out thief is finshed?

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Okay, I should have posted a link to my progress with the blackjack - I kind of assumed everyone uses the "show new posts" feature of the forums.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=594&hl=

I'm using the grenade animations for now, because they are actually a lot like blackjacking animations.

The "view" (name for the weapon stuff you see in first person view) mesh and associated animations are all self contained. You have to have the hand(s) modeled into the animations. You never see the actual player model in first person view. This means you can have a lot more detail on the weapons, such as GUI's (the readouts that tell you how much ammo is left), glowing lights that actually affect your surroundings in real time, etc.

The things that other people see of you in multiplayer, and what you see in mirrors, are much less detailed.

BTW, I updated my post up there with a new modelling suggestion link. It is also from the main tutorial page. I am just suggesting the tutorials.

I also re-worded the intro to that post, so its clearer that I don't actually NEED them, but it is ready for them to be dropped straight in.

• 4 months later...