The Dark Mod Forums

Source Image Suffixes

Gildoran

I'm thinking of using a different standard from D3 for source image suffix meanings...

Here's the default D3 suffixes and what they mean:

(no suffix) = editor image or diffuse map

_d = diffuse map

_s = specular map

_local = (local-space) normal map

I'm thinking of going with the following:

_editor = editor image

_diffuse = diffuse map

_specular = specular map

_normal = normal map

Or maybe:

_e = editor image

_d = diffuse map

_s = specular map

_n = normal map

Would anybody object to that?

Nope. :) Source images are sort of "under the hood", so things will appear entirely the same to mappers. It would just mean that any new materials I add or old materials that I fix will have their source images renamed to follow that standard. It will make no difference to texture department productivity; it's just a design/style thing.

Edit: To assuage your fears, I've underlined part of the post. ;)

I wouldn't want to see _diffuse and _specular, that is just making the names too long and harder to read.

_n instead of _local sounds fine, although I don't think there's much in it either way (Doom 3 mappers will be used to _local even though its meaning is not obvious).

I didn't like how the suffix styles were inconsistant... having _s for specularmaps, but _local for normalmaps seems wrong to me. (I figure they should either all use full words or all use abbreviations) I guess I'll advocate the single-character one. Another possibility is using a period instead of an underscore... For example:

mywall.n.tga

Any idea if there could be any problems with that on specific operating systems? (I figure most OSes today can handle arbitrary strings, right?)

If _s stands for specular, then what stands for "selfillumination"?

I don't see any particular reason for changing this although I'm still new to D3 standards so I can quickly learn new suffixes. But it might be annoying for many other Doom 3 mappers, texturers and model makers who are used to D3 suffixes and would like to create for Dark Mod some maps in the future...

If you find it's necessary to change than it should be announced in the public section before release, I think...

Seems like unnecessary work, to me. And the textures for the models won't be changed, since that would require changing all the material entries again. So we'd have one set of textures with _n and one with _local, which doesn't make much sense.