The Dark Mod Forums

Art Team

kfmccall

Hey everyone,

After senior year, I talked to a bunch of friends that became very interested in concept art after looking at some of my 'art' which was essentially thedarkmod design work, and would like to work for the team to get some experience and just have some fun this summer designing video games. I told them about the mod, and many have expressed an interest in working for the team.

We're all within driving distance of eachother here in Arizona, and could serve as somewhat of a design hub capable of meeting regularly and collaborating on the concept aspect of the mod. There are about 5 other students who would like to contribute; should I get each to register on the forums and apply separately?

Let me know what you think.

Hmm, quite frankly, I don't know if there's really much need for five more concept artists. As I was saying to Darkness Falls earlier, most of the actual concept stage is past. The only real need for concept art now is to support mappers, who are primarily interested in exactly the kind of stuff you do (floorplans and building concepts). But we really only have one or two mappers working at any one time, so I have my doubts there would be enough to do to keep that many people busy.

We can also use concepts ofr monsters and locations. If we ever get a modeller, it would be a good idea to have some concepts up our sleeves, instead of trying to find a new concept artist because the current ones moved on already.

Gerhard

We can also use concepts ofr monsters

Monsters aren't going to be on our list of things to do anymore. We simply don't have the time or modelers to do them. Even if we did get two or three new character modelers (doubtful), they still have ten or twenty more useful character models to do first, most of which already come with finished concept art.

instead of trying to find a new concept artist because the current ones moved on already.

We currently have four concept artists who are regular contributors, including our main character concept artist (me).

Sorry, there simply isn't any need for five new concept artists at this stage in the project. Our concept artists already have a hard time finding anything useful to contribute.

Monsters aren't going to be on our list of things to do anymore. We simply don't have the time or modelers to do them. Even if we did get two or three new character modelers (doubtful), they still have ten or twenty more useful character models to do first, most of which already come with finished concept art.

I think you have a missconception about what concept artists do. They are not strictly bound to create art that is 100% directly translated into a map, model or similar. The point of concpets is also to set the mood, define the universe, provide visualization of ideas and similar effects. So even if we wont have a monster model because of lack of modelers, we can still have concepts about them.

We currently have four concept artists who are regular contributors, including our main character concept artist (me).

Where are the many concpets if we have so many artists?

Sorry, there simply isn't any need for five new concept artists at this stage in the project. Our concept artists already have a hard time finding anything useful to contribute.

I don't see why. They can create concepts without a specific task in mind.

Gerhard

It probably wouldn't hurt to try. If we suddenly had drawings of arches and columns and alcoves and towers and architecture and floorplans... it would be inspirational, and provide ideas for what needs doing, and what can be done.

And heck, if they're not needed, they'll probably just fade away like much of the rest of the team.

Ah, but I joke.

...With seriousness! :ph34r:

Hey, if they want to go ahead and draw lots of things with no expectation that they'll ever be used for anything, feel free. They can post their work in the public forums or you could post it for them here if you'd rather.

• 2 weeks later...

one of my friends ( i believe her forum name is Irina) is going to submit an app soon, she is a fairly proficient artist, you guys can judge for yourselves when she does so, but just wanted to let you know that we would be able to collaborate on design since we're both local even if the need for concept artists is relatively low atm.

That's cool, kf. Has she played Thief before?

I see no problems with having more concept artists, but it looks like the primary need will be to directly assist mappers by creating interior mood scenes/ideas, environments and floor plans to inspire them. But I'm sure other stuff will pop up from time to time...

the more inspiration the better..not to mention that not every modproject has the opportunity to get a whole team of skilled, !willing! artists..

"they are not strictly bound to create art that is 100% directly translated into a map, model or similar. The point of concpets is also to set the mood, define the universe, provide visualization of ideas and similar effects."

and i agree with that too...

Concepts like kfmccalls could also theoretically be used for illustrations in books and scrolls found in the game. It should be possible to blend sketches like those with the background.

They could also work on our "setting" a bit, creating symbols and whatnot for all the different guilds and factions.