The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod: Teaser 2 - July 8th, 2006

New Horizon

Hello folks, it has been awhile since our first Teaser Trailer, so we thought it was high time for another one.

Disclaimer:

The second trailer has been somewhat of a cursed production. It was originally slated for a December 24th release, but unfortunately our original film guy had to quit due to real life responsibilities. Thanks to drewb50 for stepping up and doing a fantastic job for us, and a huge thanks to the Dark Mod team. They're a special group and I am truly enjoying the work we have done together on this project.

A good majority of the footage is rather out of date since it was recorded back in October. There are no death animations and the maps you are seeing aren't 'real' maps, they're just our tech maps for testing. :) It's not perfect, but we really needed to put what we had out there and move on to other things. This will still give you an idea of how things can look later down the road, and considering we still have another two years ahead of us, some great things have yet to happen.

Expect to see two or three smaller and up to date 'tech' videos in the near future.

Also, if someone could help host the hi-res version until I get it uploaded on a hosting site, it would be greatly appreciated. It's currently on some space being loaned to me by veledan and I don't want to take advantage of his good will. :) Enjoy folks.

Dark Mod: Teaser 2 - Hight Res - mirror

Dark Mod: Teaser 2 - High Res

If you have a website, and would like to help promote The Dark Mod, just embed this code in your page.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BgFat5CxC6Q"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BgFat5CxC6Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent video! Thank you very much :)

I like how it closely resembles LGS Thief with the use of colour tones and smoother shadows. I also like the loot pickup chime sound, and how the selected item/door brightens it's own colour and not always blue.

A couple questions:

Will dragging the bodies have arms extend out ala body awareness?

Will the dragging speed be reduced? It seems a little too fast

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Will dragging the bodies have arms extend out ala body awareness?

No. For the first release, we've already decided not to support body awareness in any shape or form. Not to mention that extending both arms to believably grab a complicated physical object like a body would be ridiculously hard from a technical standpoint. It might work if we limited you to only drag by the hand like in Riddick, but IMO it's better to let you drag any part of the body "telekinetic style" rather than limit you to only the left hand of the body so that body awareness looks good.

Will the dragging speed be reduced? It seems a little too fast

Yes. :)

Also to pre-empt the question: "Will I also be able to shoulder AI in addition to dragging them, so I can move them in the Z direction?" The answer is yes, it's just not implemented yet.

It looks great. :wub: I swear I'm feeling a bit of homesickness after watching the video. The "bling bling" of loot is what did it. Lovely shots of the Thief hopping down into the library through the window casement. Is Broken Glass Studios a little joke or is it really the name of the house?

One question, I noticed that the guard that gets gassed and falls into the pool floats to the surface, should he not sink and drown? Drowning is important to my gameplay, I love to lead AIs to horrible deaths and save powerups in the process. Ill lead them across huge maps to drop them off of a cliff or into fires or whatever.

It looks great. :wub: I swear I'm feeling a bit of homesickness after watching the video. The "bling bling" of loot is what did it. Lovely shots of the Thief hopping down into the library through the window casement. Is Broken Glass Studios a little joke or is it really the name of the house?

Broken Glass Studios is our Team name. It's a respectful nod to Looking Glass. :)

One question, I noticed that the guard that gets gassed and falls into the pool floats to the surface, should he not sink and drown?

Physics aren't completely tweaked yet, so a guard laden with heavy equipment would 'probably' sink and drown. AI will only drown if their heads are submerged in water.

Outstanding!!!

I really like the special effects of the water, the realistic models, and ESPECIALLY that ROPE ARROW. It is the coolest one I've seen yet! I can't wait to get to building my own maps for your mod. Hopefuly you'll do something with the light up effect (when objects are able to be frobbed) it looks a little bright and wishwashy (only my opinion... :) ). Other than that I can hardly wait. Side-Question: Will your Editor have the old object system of Dromed? (I hope so :) ).

Final tweaking will start only late in the development process. This means that stuff like highlights, frobdistance, and other balancing related elements will mostly stay as they are for now, and only be tweaked to their final state when we can start to really playtest.

Gerhard

Maximus wrote: Is Broken Glass Studios a little joke or is it really the name of the house?

Wow, I think you're the first person I've seen to comment on it in the public :) Thanks for asking. Yes, it's the name we decided upon for our team. It was obviously a play on words, but we thought it had a nice ring to it; and liked its versatility. We take the name very seriously.

Wow, I think you're the first person I've seen to comment on it in the public :) Thanks for asking. Yes, it's the name we decided upon for our team. It was obviously a play on words, but we thought it had a nice ring to it; and liked its versatility. We take the name very seriously.

Its a really nice touch guys. It will resonate well with the fanbase I think and its a respectful tribute to the Mods lineage. B)

It was a touching video, more than I expected it to be.

The sneaking thief on the ledge, the first k.o., a few of the arrow take-outs and guards falling down stairs, over a bannister, in a pool with a splash. Pretty fun to watch and caught the spirit of classic gameplay quite well, I thought.

The loot ching especially brought back fond memories.

A few things seemed a little jerky, but as you said above, it seems those things will get tweaked towards the end; so I'm not really worried about it.

You can see some of the need for a little more texture appropriateness and variety. Pretty much 3 sets showed off here (warehouse, mansion and cathedral; the cave was just one texture it seemed, although I like how it was bump mapped).

I can also see a number of things that you've already updated on that didn't make it into the vid, e.g., the on-screen readable.

I also recognized some of those rooms from the screenshots.

I liked how it told a little story, ending with a sunken cathedral ... pretty cool.

"Broken Glass" is a nice tribute in a number of ways, sort of a bitter-sweet name, actually.

Anyway, all around a great release this time around. It was definately worth the wait. B)

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

One question, I noticed that the guard that gets gassed and falls into the pool floats to the surface, should he not sink and drown? Drowning is important to my gameplay, I love to lead AIs to horrible deaths and save powerups in the process. Ill lead them across huge maps to drop them off of a cliff or into fires or whatever.
If they're floating on their back, they won't drown. If they're floating face down, they will. In fact, if their nose/mouth region is submerged in water, they will drown. This means it's possible to drown unconcious bodies by placing their face in a bucket of water. Thank Ishtvan for programming drowning with that attention to detail! :)

The name "Broken Glass Studio's" will be the pun of many negative jokes of your project :P

Playing this game is like walking barefoot on broken glass

Broken Glass Studio's is aptly named, because that's what your monitor will give you after running this game

ad nauseum :)

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

The name "Broken Glass Studios" will be the pun of many negative jokes of your project

Lordy, I hope not (LOL). I suggested the name at first, in jest. But then it (thankfully) resonated well with us all for the many reasons. We had some tough discussions regarding finding a team name. I will take full credit if people make fun of the name. But dannnng, unless this mod sucks royally, it should be okay.

Considering one of the candidates for our team name was 'Squabble Studios' (from all the behind-the-scenes debates that go on, in general), it was refreshing to see many of us agree on Broken Glass Studios. It seemed kind've surreal, actually; like world peace was going to quickly follow suit or something. Unfortunately, I still see the news on TV; and it's still bad. And I see behind-the-scenes here; and it's not always blue sky and roses :D

Mindblowing media ...... I'm very sorry to say that this mod is very much under-rated. You guys deserve more man.

Seriously speaking, I see nothing in the media less than a big budget AAA title. On behalf of the whole Recall to Hell team, I a modeler of the team would like to Congratulate you people. :D

Recall to Hell

Dreams are built with bricks of thorns. Never dream you'll build your future without shedding a single drop of blood. ~ Satan.