The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod: Teaser 2 - July 8th, 2006

New Horizon

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah, that was really amazing guys =D. Phenomenal work. The rope arrows and mantling are beyond expectations from what is visible, and even these community made maps capture the moody atmosphere of Thief strikingly well. This is exactly what I had envisioned a modern day Thief game to appear like. Great job, and I must express that Oddity's models look no less than commercial quality ingame.

My only pet peeve is that some of the ingame recordings are of extremely low frames per second. It's not a big deal, but the qualities of your work would have been much more noticable and prettier had the FPS been higher. If you pause the video during the ingame sections, you can really see an amazing amount of detail, but this is not nearly as noticable when the frames seem to be running at the rate of a flip-book (and--as a result--the shadows and illuminations seem to flicker). Though, I can definitely understand this could be as a result of the game being in extremely early stages of development.

I must also stress that seeing the light gem in action is extremely awesome =) Once again, great job.

That was fantastic! The character movements were very impressive. I also liked the distortions in the under-water views. The rope arrow looked very cool, too. Nice attention to detail. Can't wait to get my hands on this! :)

It sounds kind of odd but as I watched it my first impression was "the frob highlight looks great." I actually think it looks better than the implementation in Thief 1&2 in that in the original games it was sometimes difficult to discern whether certain types of shiny loot were being highlighted. Overall though everything looks fantastic: it's remarkably cohesive considering that it's not done yet.

I'm curious to know whether all the textures are going to be normal-mapped? It's apparent that the NPC models are but some of the environment textures look flattish. Most of the textures have great detail though and they capture the steampunk atmosphere well. All the player interaction stuff is dead-on; the rope arrow especially looks almost identical to Thief 1&2. Anyway, you guys are doing a professional job even if you're not getting paid for it.

I have to say that I am in complete and utter awe. I watched it three times in a row. It's what Thief 3 was always supposed to be in art; and it's atmosphere sends shivers down my spine. The opening quotes were fantastic; I really got a kick out of them. I've been coverted, oh Builder. I shall take my vows of penance and serve thee in your teachings. Doom 3 is on the way.

*edit* Dragging guards...that's the way it always should have been! :D

Edited by Ombrenuit

Dragging guards...that's the way it always should have been!

I have to admit I was a little skeptical of the dragging, but watching it in action looks so intuitive. It's sort of what I'd feel like I'd want to do in that situation, to stay crouched low, and just pull a body into a corner. (Although I still hope shoulder-carrying is in).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Damn, my christmas-special avatar is still here. That really shows after how many days I'm visiting these forums. :D

Recall to Hell

Dreams are built with bricks of thorns. Never dream you'll build your future without shedding a single drop of blood. ~ Satan.

Well I thought the opening text was a little tongue in cheek. Methinks we are the ones supposed to be waiting...

I'd expect all aspects of the final thing to be better than that vid. The texts, the engine stuff, the maps, everything. Maybe the rope arrow and frob'll be unchanged. They seemed perfect.

I definitly thought the quote was fairly self-explanatory, and it really did wonders with the double meaning. I think the most important part of the trailor is that it really captures the magic of thief in that we are instantly transported to The City.

I definitly thought the quote was fairly self-explanatory, and it really did wonders with the double meaning. I think the most important part of the trailor is that it really captures the magic of thief in that we are instantly transported to The City.

Wow, thank you. :) It's so hard to tell how things are going to be received when you're planning them and are so close to the material. I feel humbled by the overwhelmingly positive response.

I must admit to loving the "source" of the quote, and yeah, the second time i read the into I was laughing so hard at the rather obviously satirical connotations of the quote in reference to board members... anyhow, props, so far my ONLY real gripe is that I didn't get to see much watery arrowy action.

I'm in yur forumz,

Makin' them frobbable.

Yay! they like it! :D

With regards to the frob highlight brightness, Gildoran created a sort of "hybrid" frob that highlights things in relation to how bright they are already, so that really dark objects dont blind you when you look at them. In the vid is the original frob highlight which is basically fullbrightness type thingy.