The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod: Teaser 2 - July 8th, 2006

New Horizon

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*leaps back in to the forums*

Are you guys getting paid by ID software for this shit? Because when you guys get a release date for it, I'm buying The Dark Mod. I might play D3, for a short while, but this is going to be the reason for it.

Couple of things: Loved the trailer overall - esp. rope arrow swinginess and mantling. Bit jerky in places, physics were kind of weird, but as you say, this should be fixed later on.

Make sure you get your old english perfect for the real thing. Anyone who's sung hymns has an almost intuitive grasp of that stuff. However, the quotation at the start was gut wrenching in its back-hearkening.

And, if smooth highlighting is possible, it should be included for the polish it affords. On/off snapping of highlight will only remind people they're in a game - nothing in real life truly snaps instantly - even lights have a just-discernible period of brightening/fading. (I guess computer monitors and suchlike are exceptions ;) )

--

Somethin' fishy's goin' on here... Come on out, you taffer!

~The Fishy Taffer

I think a delay, rather than a fade is the solution. If the user focuses on an object, there are so-many-miliseconds until the highlight deactivates, thus eliminating the flashing highlight. Ishtvan, get on that!

Uhm...'testmaps'. ;)

great !! I like the smooth transition from the rope arrow to using it. The arrows will all look different won't they? Water, rope etc.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

I think a delay, rather than a fade is the solution.

Hey, smart guy-- that means there would be a delay before another object could receive the highlight, or that multiple objects could be highlighted at once.

Either scenario would, I believe, be grounds for a cockpunching of whoever decided to implement such a stupid thing.

That trailer had it's way with me....

and I LOVED IT!!! :wub:

That was a -100 (that being the lowest) on the Suck-O-Meter.

I'm sure it would've scored 100 on the Not-Suck-O-Meter, but, other than your mod, there's not enough not-suck in the world to warrant the purchase.

You guys rule!!

That's about 5 people clamoring for a smooth fade on the frob highlight now. Hopefully among those 5 people and all the people they know is a programmer who wants to help with the mod, 'cause I sure as hell don't have time to do work on that.

Based on the internal thread (last time I read it), it sounds like Gildoran had already prepared for fades and it will be implemented some day pretty easily...

Based on the internal thread (last time I read it), it sounds like Gildoran had already prepared for fades and it will be implemented some day pretty easily...

The materials are prepared for fades - that's the easy bit. It's the coding to actually calculate and implement the fade that is more difficult.

What can I say, guys? That is one seriously cool video of the The Dark Mod! :) That is the closest thing to a real Thief video from Looking Glass that I've ever seen, really nice! The mood, atmosphere and general style of the video is right on; I was half expecting Garrett to start talking any second. :)

I love the rope arrows (those are sorely missed in Thief III), how they unfurl from the arrow and such (I assume they are retrievable from the wood?). The water looks great how it distorts your view as you swim and look toward the surface. Hearing that same "clink" sound when you pick up loot like from Thief is really cool. :) And special mention has to be made of the font being used on the notes, maps and such. It looks just about identical to the the font used in Thief, wonderful job, guys!! :)

As far as the highlight fade issue. If you can get it to work like in Thief I and II with that fraction of a second fade effect that gives it that smoothness you barely notice but that makes it feel just right without any performance or stability problems, then great. :)

Glad you enjoyed it :)

With regards to the rope arrow - yes it is retractable, and with the fade the material files were set up by Gildoran to be able to support that fade in/out, just the code needs to be written for it :)

Hey all!

Long time thief, first time forum poster here. A pleasure!

Great to see such an enormous number of thief-followers.

I remember having many an argument with friends years ago about what they considered as a boredom factor of the "First Person Sneaker" from Looking Glass. They could not have been more wrong, and its pleasing to see the tradition of thief, its origins and fans shine on.

I just want to say that the teaser video had me in awe. The kit is looking FANTASTIC!! :D Kudos to the team.

Your devoted followers await in anticiipation!

Cheers guys,

Gaz.

Thief of Oz

Edited by thieving gaz

Hey all!

Long time thief, first time forum poster here. A pleasure!

Great to see such an enormous number of thief-followers.

I remember having many an argument with friends years ago about what they considered as a boredom factor of the "First Person Sneaker" from Looking Glass. They could not have been more wrong, and its pleasing to see the tradition of thief, its origins and fans shine on.

I just want to say that the teaser video had me in awe. The kit is looking FANTASTIC!! :D Kudos to the team.

Your devoted followers await in anticiipation!

Cheers guys,

Gaz.

Thief of Oz

Hi :) Thanks for the kind words :)

I know no one will actually be notice on a conscious level, I just like scaring people by sounding like I'm about to snap when they ask for new features. As for why it was done, we were rewriting frob at the time and ended up putting in a timestamp to fix some syncronicity issues that had to do with not knowing the order of updating when an entity got frobbed in the same frame as another one got un-frobbed, and after that it was pretty easy to use that timestamp to fade it in/out.

All right, you people have your freaking frob fade in and out!! You win! Are you happy now??

victoly! \o/

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.