The Dark Mod Forums

To Finish Mansion Theme

Springheel

BT, did you texture a small jewel box? i seem to remember one but cant see it on cvs.

i will check the bed.

yes - I think it was about 1 1/2 year ago or so when I only had blender. I used to have some problems with the uvmap or so - I'll check it later.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I still don't have much time for modelling, so I decided to make something small. Currently I'm working on cutlery for mansion. I'm going to make some variatians with models and textures, so we'll have some more common and junky cutlery as well.

cutlery_orna1.jpg

Fork and knife are already setup as moveables, spoons are next in the queue...

They look great, but how many polys do they have? Did you use an alpha map to make them or are those details actually modelled?

Everything is modeled + normal maps (except spoons' "heads"). No alpha maps (I don't like to fake geometry with alpha maps...)

Their polycount is:

knife - 124 triangles,

fork - 140

small spoon - 176

big spoon - 184

I hope it's not too many...

Everything is modeled + normal maps (except spoons' "heads"). No alpha maps (I don't like to fake geometry with alpha maps...)

Their polycount is:

knife - 124 triangles,

fork - 140

small spoon - 176

big spoon - 184

I hope it's not too many...

Does it have a separate "shadow mesh" on it? We seem to be seeing in tests that D3 is fine with raw poly-count being high, but calculating the shadows can get bad. For example if there was a table set with 20 sets of silverware (that's 3 x ~130 * 20 = 7.8K tris) and it got hit from the side with a light, having it this highpoly might be bad for shadows, unless it has a simplified shadow casting core.

I can't see why we couldn't get away with lower poly silverware with alpha maps in this case, but then I don't know anything about modeling. You guys know best.

I thought the same thing...low poly with alpha maps, just like the keys. I'm not sure something that small needs to be fully modelled.

:( my lovely cutlery... *cries* ;)

OK, I'll redo them.

What I'd prefer to do is to make separate "shadow mesh" instead of alpha maps, cause polys with alpha maps cast solid shadows, which looks bad.

But I'll try both version anyway, just to compare performance and diffrent techniques.

Could you just give me some polycount limits for shadow meshes and for models with alpha maps?

I've lowered the polycount of knife and fork so far. I made it using alpha maps - it does not look as bad as I was afraid.

Kife handle is modeled - but blade is flat. And the fork - it could have twice less polygons but it would be invisible from side views. The polycount is 32 (fork) and 46 (knife) - much better, I think. Are they acceptable now? (Just mind that texture is not finished yet)

cutlery_orna2.jpg

cutlery_orna3.jpg

BTW: Don't you know if twosided material cast shadows from two sides?

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. :)

But if we want the cutlery to cast shadows I have to do some simplified shadow models anyway cause twosided materials don't cast shadows. I've made already one for fork (50 tris, shadow works fine) and that's even less than making double polygons with regular material and also more elegant cause I don't have to make tiny gap to avoid Z-buffer fighting.

50 tris for a shadow model is still much better than 150 as it was before, I think...

Cutlery is done already but I still have some rendering problem - it's worst with the spoon model. In the concave part spoon gets some weird shadow. Selfshadows are disabled for its material. The only thing I can think of is the invisible shadow model of spoon that casts shadow on that spoon... :wacko: I used textures/common/shadow material for that. It shouldn't cast shadow on the model that it's related to... Where can I find definitions for common materials? Maybe adding noselfshadow would help?

shot00030.jpg

I tried to post this earlier, so sorry if it doubleposts:

You can look at materials without having to know where the files are by using "editDecls" in the console. I'm not sure exactly how it works but you may have to type the name or something. Or, you can find these in /base/materials/invisible.mtr or something like that.