The Dark Mod Forums

Team Fortress 2!

woah

Team Fortress 2!!!! :DDDD

Valve Software's golden boy, Gabe Newell, made a surprise appearance at today's Electronic Arts Summer Showcase at Redwood Shores. Perhaps the one revelation that hit harder than all the rest was that the long-awaited Team Fortress 2 will be included with Half-Life 2: Episode 2 later this year. A trailer of the game was shown at the convention. From what we saw we can tell you that most, if not all of the classic character classes you know and love are back. The game also sports a new art style that's drastically different from Counter-Strike: Source or Day of Defeat: Source. Rather than going for a gritty, realistic look, the characters have a more cartoonish, flat-shaded look, comparable to the way Pixar's The Incredibles looks.

but STEAM :((((

Well, Team Fortress 2 is back and will be included with Episode Two, and it looks like nothing else on the market. Newell explained that Valve wanted to make this action game distinct, so the graphics (which use the Source engine) look like a Pixar-animated movie. To reinforce this, the various character classes in the game look like cartoon caricatures. These include the Medic with the huge needle or the Demoman with the sticks of explosives. Other classes include the Heavy, the Spy, the Scout, the Engineer, the Sniper, the Soldier, and the Pyro. Newell says that the goal with Team Fortress 2 is to create "the best-looking and best-playing class-based multiplayer game." Team Fortress 2 is certainly unique in appearance, so we'll see how it plays.

but Team Fortress 2!! :D!

A SCREENSHOT!!

Team_Fortress_2.jpg

UPDATE:

A video was released! http://www.valvesoftware.com/ep2/teaser/tf...aser01_720p.wmv

Edited by woah

I really like the looks of the screenshot just recently released. I'm happy they didn't give it a realistic look like that of Valve's latest remakes, but rather attempted to stay true to the (for lack of a better word) cartoonish look of the original TFC models and skins (I don't recall many liking the looks of the remakes for the TFC models and skins), while at the same time providing something fresh and unique.

Edited by woah

I really like the looks of the screenshot just recently released. I'm happy they didn't give it a realistic look like that of Valve's latest remakes, but rather attempted to stay true to the (for lack of a better word) cartoonish look of the original TFC models and skins (I don't recall many liking the looks of the remakes for the TFC models and skins), while at the same time providing something fresh and unique.

I agree, although I did like the second TFC skin set better, this new look is freaking awesome. It totally goes in line with the bonko fun nature of the game. The sniper is my favorite, he looks like a CIA assassin from a campy 70's flick.

Edited by Maximius

A new Team Fortress 2 video was just released!

http://files.filefront.com/tf2+teaser01+72...;/fileinfo.html

According to Valve, everything in the video was composed using only the Source engine (and this includes the Pyro's flamethrower, apparently, yet I find this hard to believe). The Source engine looks completely different now with the Motion Blur, depth of field, and some pre-processing effects Valve is providing. Perhaps Valve wasn't fibbing when they made the claim that TF2 would be the best looking game on the Source engine?

These new graphical effects can also been seen in the Portal/b] trailer; they almost make the game look pre-rendered. Portal is a new game being created on the Source Engine that makes usage of a Portal Gun, in which you can specify two Portal links by painting portals on the walls of two different areas. Anything can move through the portals, including other AI and physics objects, all which retain momentum (so if you fell a long ways into a portal, you would emerge from the other Portal at the same speed, perhaps sending you flying in a direction other than towards the center of gravity.) The video itself provides many more examples which will undoubtebly give you a better idea of the range of possibilities with the Portal gun.

Here is the link to the Portal video. You really can't miss out on this.

http://files.filefront.com/Half+Life+2+Epi...;/fileinfo.html

EDIT: According to CSNation.net, in addition to Motion Blur, depth of field, and HDR, the TF2 is also using "phong shading," dynamic shadowing and self shadowing, and a new water technology which can be seen in the trailer. This explains why the flamethrower's shadow is applied to the Pyro model while the flamethrower is utilized, but I'm still skeptical about that flamethrower.

EDIT2: It seems the flame-thrower is a demonstration of a new particle system Valve is utilizing. Awesome! (but I wonder if anyone here cares, aside from Unstoppable and Maximus? :) )

Edited by woah

woah, I get a 404 for the first link. The second trailer looks really cool. Portals would be fun for wizards lair or a labyrint

I think we are pretty alone here in the TFC fanclub department. B) Once this baby comes out we'll have to band up and kick some ass. TFC is definitely enhanced with real team work.

Edited by Maximius

Ah, Valve must have taken it down (it was put up before the official release).

Here is a good, fast link to the Team Fortress 2 Trailer. Filefront is fast and free.

http://files.filefront.com/tf2+teaser01+72...;/fileinfo.html

Thanks, thats awesome! It looks fantastic. They were wise to put this time and energy into the updated version, I definitely going to pick up the game. HOpefullyfrom ebay on the cheap. :)