The Dark Mod Forums

Irina's application

irina

Hello, I'm a high school art student and I came across your website. I'm looking for ways to expand my art education and being a part of the team seems like a great way to do just that. I haven't had much training in purely concept art or design per se, but I have almost all the traditional art foundations down such as color, texture, shading, perspective, etc. to name a few and I have great drawing skills. As of now I mainly draw and paint realistically, here are a few samples of my work:

Thor_by_halcyonire.jpg

what__re_you_lookin___at_by_halcyonire.jpg

Amish_Girl_by_halcyonire.jpg

Margarita_by_halcyonire.jpg

Tara_2_by_halcyonire.jpg

http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs10/300W/i/20..._halcyonire.jpg

I know this probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I think that with a little direction and instructions I could definitely direct my versatile skills into any area that might be needing another team member.

Thanks a lot for your time in looking at this!

Your art looks fine! I tried to learn drawing as well, but I don't have the drive to do it consistently so I make very slow progress. :)

The question though is, can you create textures? Since you can paint like this I think it should be no problem you would just have to learn the technical details. Not sure though as I'm a programmer and no artist.

Gerhard

Yeah, we've got some people who can give you Lightwave, which is the modeling program we use for our characters--we could use some townsfolk models when you get a chance. :rolleyes:

How are you at architectural drawing?

Has she even responded, Sparhawk? I don't see any replies from her either, so I assume she hasn't replied? The drawings look nice; good work.

Did you make any or all of those drawings up on your own, Irina, or were you looking at photographs/people when you drew them? Just wondering if it would be a struggle to make your own people or rooms up, or not. Either way, though, they look very nice. Good job; you have a good artistic future ahead of you.

hello everyone! sorry for not replying sooner. thank you for the comments. let's see (apologize again, i have yet to figure out how to quote...):

1. The question though is, can you create textures? -sparhawk

-Yes, the thing is I can paint and draw very realistically; this goes for people, scenery, and inanimate objects or buildings. So I believe I could do any texture you throw at me decently.

2. Are you good with interior design (of all kinds from fancy and posh to ancient dust covered and crumbling)? -sneaksiedave

-Actually I've never done those, but again, I think I could recreate anything from furniture to windows to weird lighting as long as I have a reference to start from.

3. How are you at architectural drawing? -Springheel

-I haven't done loads of architectural drawing but I've been doodling in class and I can do perspective quite well. I think the main thing is that I need practice stretching my imagination so that I can think of, create and draw crazy/awesome buildings or other architectural things.

4. Irina, can you tell us what work you had in mind, which skills you want to learn/improve to help us here? -sparhawk

-Work in mind: concept art, character design, interiors, and architectural designs. As cheesy as this sounds, I just want to learn how to improve my imagination.

5. Did you make any or all of those drawings up on your own, Irina, or were you looking at photographs/people when you drew them? -Darkness_falls

-These were from photographs, another reason I want to learn how to pull amazing things out of my head. I feel very limited by working only from photographs.

In general, I'm here because though I can draw and paint very realistically and recreate anything in front of me, I really would like to learn how to simply think of something and then draw it. I feel like I'm at a huge dead-end because I can't create...I can only reproduce. Like a copy machine.

I know that my skills are pretty basic, but I'm sure that with a few instructions I'd be able to learn how to use and manipulate computer programs or whatever else is necessary.

So that's about it. I think that working collaboratively with a group like this would be great for helping me improve my artwork and pumping out ideas.

Thanks for all the feedback! Hope this helps.

-irina

Cool, I'm down with it :) I don't think we have anything to lose. It's up to Spring and others though.

I would start taking a look at Thief concept art that was made for the actual games, if you haven't already seen. For example, view "Artwork - Thief: DS" and "Artwork - Thief I & II" at this URL:

http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/main/

Do you have Photoshop? If not, I highly recommend getting it & a Wacom tablet ... and becoming proficient with them. It will only broaden your skills and potential.

These were from photographs, another reason I want to learn how to pull amazing things out of my head. I feel very limited by working only from photographs.

I actually used to draw a lot the way you do... drawing from photographs & pictures. I feel it is a good foundation, but I'm glad you are wanting to venture out. I think you will find it a very freeing and gratifying experience to eventually not be a slave to copying photos. It might take a lot of practice, but it sounds like you have the right mentality to keep challenging yourself. Draw a lot. Make lots of sketches in sketchbooks where you just draw whatever comes to your mind, or whatever you observe. It's good to look at stuff when you're drawing, but be sure to try and internalize what you're seeing rather than just transferring what you're seeing to paper without forcing your brain to internalize your observations. Really study.

Sorry, you probably know all this, but I'm just trying to help. I've learned a lot from my experiences and I'm wanting to help you, since it sounds like you and I have similar artistic ways. If I didn't branch out at your age, I'd still be stuck copying photos. I'm still limited with my skills, and wish I could draw people better from memory, etc... but all the sketching and practicing I've done over the years has surely helped me improve my abilities and become more flexible. And I'm not at all a slave to photos/pictures any more. But because I have that 'photo copying' experience, it is very easy for me to use photos for reference when drawing stuff; which is a good trait to have in your tool belt. I don't do that nearly as much as I probably should, but it's nice to know I can.

Sadly, I have neither Photoshop nor a Wacom tablet, my friend has suggested it and I think I will look into them. Thanks a lot for the advice, it's great to know that people have been in my mindset and situation before - and gotten out of it successfully and trust me, your tips are quite useful, especially about "internalizing" what I'm drawing (wow!). I will check out the Thief concept art ASAP.

hello everyone! sorry for not replying sooner. thank you for the comments. let's see (apologize again, i have yet to figure out how to quote...):

That's pretty easy. :) You can see a 'REPLY' button. When you click on it, you get a full quote. Now you delete the parts that you don't want to repsond to, or are irrelevant. The rest of it should be surrounded with quote tags '

' at the start and '
' at the end.

1. The question though is, can you create textures? -sparhawk

-Yes, the thing is I can paint and draw very realistically; this goes for people, scenery, and inanimate objects or buildings. So I believe I could do any texture you throw at me decently.

That would be cool because textures is an area where we need a lot of. YOu should contact BlackThief as he is extremly good at this and can certainly help you.

4. Irina, can you tell us what work you had in mind, which skills you want to learn/improve to help us here? -sparhawk

-Work in mind: concept art, character design, interiors, and architectural designs. As cheesy as this sounds, I just want to learn how to improve my imagination.

While we always like to see concepts for inspiration, we currently don't have a strong pressure for it as we are still working on the basic toolset. Still the mappers can always use such stuff. The direction we are aiming for is a kind of victorian setting with steam machinery added on top of it. Do you know the Thief game series?

I can only reproduce. Like a copy machine.

Yeah. I know what you mean. I'm nowhere as good as you, but it's really frustrating, because I have all these images in my mind and I can't put them into concepts so I have to rely on descriptions instead.

I know that my skills are pretty basic, but I'm sure that with a few instructions I'd be able to learn how to use and manipulate computer programs or whatever else is necessary.

If you are interested to learn modelling as well, that would also be a big bonus. Good drawing skills are quite helpfull for this because you can do your own concepts then and work from them. But I guess learning how to do textures might be a good start and give you a basic insight as to the needs of a game.

Gerhard

aha, so that's how you quote. brilliant. I'm checking out the Theif series right now, darkness_falls gave me the link.

If you are interested to learn modelling as well, that would also be a big bonus. Good drawing skills are quite helpfull for this because you can do your own concepts then and work from them. But I guess learning how to do textures might be a good start and give you a basic insight as to the needs of a game.

sure! I'm interested in learning anything.

But I guess learning how to do textures might be a good start and give you a basic insight as to the needs of a game.

I'd also like to learn how to do this, so if anyone knows any good, descriptive, applicable-to-what-we're-doing Lightwave tutorials to try....

I've tried some in the past, but they always suck. They are either way unclear; skip steps; or otherwise hard to follow.

Irina wrote: Sadly, I have neither Photoshop nor a Wacom tablet, my friend has suggested it and I think I will look into them.

http://www.wacom.com talks about Wacoms, but they are kind've expensive. Given your abilities with soft, subtle shading, I'd recommend at least an Intuos 3 model of Wacom (~$215 (US)), as they have 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. The Graphire models only have like 512 levels. I have an Intuos 3 "4 x 5" size while using a 19" monitor and it suits me just fine. A friend has a "6 x 9" size, but that larger size does nothing for me. It is just so hard (normally) to draw with a mouse on a computer, so a Wacom is almost a must have for most normal people wanting to do serious digital drawings on the PC.

I think most concept artists for video games (where they want to do paintings and concetps) now use Photoshop in some manner or another. If you want to get into doing video game concept art, I think Photoshop will be a must have for you.

All these software apps and things we recommend you learn can be tough going; so don't overwhelm yourself by trying to learn everything at once, thereby getting lost and giving up. Take things at a pace which you're comfortable with so you don't get upset and lose interest.

Thanks a lot for the advice, it's great to know that people have been in my mindset and situation before - and gotten out of it successfully and trust me, your tips are quite useful, especially about "internalizing" what I'm drawing (wow!).

:) I'm glad to hear! Yes, I've had to force myself to internalize what I see, otherwise I just transfer it over to paper like a copying machine and I don't learn anything. By internalizing, I try to make mental notes of perspective, proportions, relationships and 3-D volume/rotation. One of my favorite outcomes of practicing and internalizing has been being able to see and draw stuff from different angles in my mind. It can be a powerful combination to be creative, inventive and be able to draw things in three dimensions from your mind (and I don't mean like 3-D blue & red glasses) ;)

I will try to help if you ever have questions.

As for inspirations regarding the Thief universe, this question was asked of the developers of Thief: Deadly Shadows, to which they responded:

Apr 5 2004, 02:42 PM) - Where do you get your inspiration for the city/mansion/castle building architecture in Thief, and do (or did) your artists go "on location" anywhere to study the architecture style(s)?

The City is an amalgamation of times and places, both actual and fictional.

Medieval & Victorian London and France, modern-day Prague, and even parts of Boston (home of the ghosts of Looking Glass) have been mentioned as real places that influenced the look & feel of the City.

Some oft-cited art references are The City of Lost Children, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Name of the Rose.

The works of Mike Mignola (Fafhrd / Mouser stuff), Tim Burton (Mr. Wrought Iron Himself), Jules Verne, Charles D-i-c-k-e-n-s, and Alan Moore / Eddie Campbell have also been mentioned a fair few times as influences.

That's just a sampling, there are dozens of others

As for inspirations regarding the Thief universe,

Of course, we're not doing a game in the Thief universe....

You can get details about our setting from our wiki: http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.php/Universe

Of course, we're not doing a game in the Thief universe....

You can get details about our setting from our wiki: http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.php/Universe

But that description is lacking. What do all our Dark Mod screenshots, environments and sounds end up looking and sounding like when it all gets boiled down? --> Thief. So we can obviously draw from the same inspirations.

Wiki says: The Dark Mod is set in a world that is dark, gritty, adult, and most of all, believable.

Could describe anything, including the upcoming Miami Vice movie.

Characters talk and act in ways that are appropriate to their background. Uneducated guards don't recite poetry or discuss philosophy. Whores do not have hearts of gold. In the towns and cities of The Dark Mod setting, most people live in squalid conditions. Brutality is commonplace.

Okay... and what does the world 'look' like? This does very little to describe the world for an artist.

The Dark Mod world is an alternate version of our own. It is a mixture of several historical periods, with architecture ranging from medieval castles to victorian mansions. In this world, steam and clockwork technology were discovered much earlier in history, allowing for odd inventions and industrial warehouses to exist side-by-side with gothic cathedrals and sword-wielding city watch.

Although much of the setting material for The Dark Mod focuses around a single city, that city does not exist in isolation. It is part of a larger world, with political connections, trading agreements, and hostile neighbours that could be possible plots for FM missions.

Sounds like Thief to me.

We've already shot down concept art from kfmccall and others for it not looking 'Thiefy' enough. Using Thief to get a feeling for The Dark Mod is hardly a mistake, imo. Otherwise, the artwork might be off on some tangent that might not fit with what we're doing.

No it's hardly a mistake. I'm sure Spring was just clarifying. It's a technicality though, when we're just talking about inspiration. No need to be picky here.

This is a mod for Doom3, that seeks to capture the same stealth atmosphere and gameplay as the Thief games. You should check out the mod's webpage if you haven't already:

http://www.thedarkmod.com/

There are also some free demos of Thief around on the internet, I'm sure someone would be happy to send you one. Knowing Thief isn't essential, but it certainly helps to have a common frame of reference when discussing what kinds of characters/creatures fit the setting.

Yep, I agree :) It's good to have it clarified that we're not just re-creating Thief in a new engine, so I'm glad he posted the Wiki link. Just sounded like he was maybe denouncing both the benefit of looking at Thief stuff and understanding the inspirations behind the Thief world.

Of course we're inspired by Thief. But it is worth being clear that we are NOT recreating Thief, or the Thief setting, or anything else that is the intellectual property of another company--especially when talking to prospective members who don't know any better.

I guess you could try drawing a mood scene in a mansion or forge or whatever. Perhaps drawing a thief hiding behind a pillar or something. For a thief reference pic, have a look at the main TDM webpage - www.thedarkmod.com :)

Your choice I guess :)