The Dark Mod Forums

I've Been Banned!

Komag

Okay, so apparantly they really REALLY hate anyone mentioning they have Thief and other games for sale, because that thread got deleted, and it pissed me off so I wrote a "that sucks that my thread was deleted, you buttheads" type thread (bad idea, I know), and now I'm freakin' banned!

I know about their "no business promoting" rule to avoid schemers and advertisers from spamming their forums, but a one time mention of some games I'm selling hardly counts. So I guess it was not just that but the combination of that and then my thread complaining about it.

I also know David and GBM personally despise me (due to disagreements over political/economic issues in Comm Chat over there which I abandoned after that), call me awful names and have joined in the "I hate Komag and he sucks" threads, but this seems over the top.

Oh it's not like I've been an integral part of that community for over 5 years, no. It's not like I've spent hundreds/thousands of hours personally working to help keep the Thief community in general alive and strong.

oh well, screw 'em

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I've been banned about 4 times from TTLG. Their ethos is definitely 'this is our forum, and we have the power of life and death over every member, if you piss me off personally, or show me any defiance when I chastise you, I'll ban you instantly'.

Moderators in general are the last lurking remenants of the nazi war criminals who were never found.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Man, I like TTLG but I find them completely inconsistent in their banning procedures. It's much like real life to be honest. I've seen people get longer jail sentences for swindling money from a corporation than some other person who went on a killing spree. Not that you were swindling Komag, it just bugs me that we place money over the treatment of other people. I wish they would ban some legitimate morons over there, instead of people who are actually putting their blood, sweat and tears into the community.

I think the only person we have ever banned here was that guy who went on a rampage, hurling some pretty nasty personal slurs at Spring.

Their ethos is definitely 'this is our forum, and we have the power of life and death over every member, if you piss me off personally, or show me any defiance when I chastise you, I'll ban you instantly'.

Moderators in general are the last lurking remenants of the nazi war criminals who were never found.

You noticed that too? LOL :laugh:

Gerhard

I think the only person we have ever banned here was that guy who went on a rampage, hurling some pretty nasty personal slurs at Spring.

Yes. And even then he only got banned because he started to spam the forum with hundreds of useless threads, not because he was an insulting moron. The guy who did an awfull website and couldn't take criticism. :)

Gerhard

I dont see what the problem is with a guy posting that he's selling game stuff on e-bay as long as the games are legitimate and not illegally burned copies. On edios I've posted links that I've found on e-bay, amazon and other places that have Thief Gold for sale so any fan that hasnt gotten it can have a chance of getting it. I've even gave an extra copy to a friend that I found at EB games (paid a chunk of change shipping it to England too). No one has ever complained, of course in TTLG world good deeds are always considered evil! :laugh:

I also know David and GBM personally despise me (due to disagreements over political/economic issues in Comm Chat over there which I abandoned after that), call me awful names and have joined in the "I hate Komag and he sucks" threads, but this seems over the top.

Tell me about it, TTLG Comm Chat is one of the most corrupt and twisted places I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing on the internet. All the rules (including their own FAQ) are thrown out the window, and any form of insult and attack is allowed. I left in 2004 after an argument with a member who began yelling 'let's kill the n---ers and the k--es!'. When I confronted the guy-I was the one threatened by the admin who pretended like the previous sentence never happened. Since then I have had very harsh words for those scumbags and will continue to do so for many years to come.

Of course the admins have taken their swipes at me personally, GBM launched an attack against me last year in the TTLG Editing Guild, cursing me, calling me names and making an all out effort to turn my friends there against me. It ended up being funny because everyone blew him off, and I had some VERY harsh words with him by e-mail about what he did and what had let up to the current situation. He just blew me off in his reply babbling that I 'wasnt important to him' (If so why the attack in the first place IDIOT? Do you really think I'm going to start letting personal attacks like that go unchallenged?).

I've attempted to speak to Digital Nightfall on several occasions to get things straightened out, but I've simply been ignored-in spite of the fact that up until this day I have never spoken I'll of him. But that's ok-I'm not going anywhere and you will all see keep right on growing stronger in the Thief community. B)

Oh it's not like I've been an integral part of that community for over 5 years, no. It's not like I've spent hundreds/thousands of hours personally working to help keep the Thief community in general alive and strong. oh well, screw 'em

Fuck them! Komag....the more you give to ungrateful, spoiled brats and the nepotists that allow them to exist on the forums, the more shit they throw in your face when things dont go 100% their way. That's the main problem with the Thief Community as a whole, there's been so many good people putting in their sweat into the whole thing for so long-people think they can let things go to hell and nothing bad will happen. Perhaps what we need is a totally new community for Thief 1,2 and TDS fans-perhaps it could be called the 'Garbage Free Forum!'

Their ethos is definitely 'this is our forum, and we have the power of life and death over every member, if you piss me off personally, or show me any defiance when I chastise you, I'll ban you instantly'.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I dont fear the dark...the dark fears me!

I don't want to laugh but the situation seems kind of absurdly funny... With all the tards they have floating around TTLG why on earth would they want to pick on Komag? :huh::P

I'm sure it has to be temporary. I mean for god's sake they let Blue Haze back in (under the awful name Beauty Man) after he'd gone through 8 altnicks and a monthly spamming ritual. And everybody knows you and your site are one of the backbones of the community.

I agree, they just like laying down the law sometimes; so I guess take it in stride. Vent a little here about how ungrateful they are, and realize that most people in the community are going to be on your side. Also, at least now you are in good company with ?Noid, Oddity and ZB ... the last of whom iirc, to give you an idea of just how arbitrary the whole thing is, was temp-banned recently (apparently by one of the "softy" mods; not hard to guess which one) only to be made moderator for a day while he was banned! (for April Fool's, although it might have been as soon as he came back.)

Also, I never got the feeling people, David or GBM, hated you ... CommChat can be harsh to everyone, just part of its culture; you really have to stick to your guns and take things in stride if you actually find it fun to post/read there. And it may just be a personality thing; I've found it's more about the conversation and having fun with a topic than what's really "right", so there's no use trying to be too reasonable (of which apparently I am guilty a little too often for my own good) ... so maybe you just went in with the wrong expectations.

Anyway, if you want we can start a "Free Komag" campaign for you over there. I'll make the t-shirt.

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Of course the admins have taken their swipes at me personally, GBM launched an attack against me last year in

GBM is a special case IMO. He is the typical Small tyrant and the role as moderator fits him perfectly so he can live his fantasies. Poor sod. Actually my ban was also the reason why I don't post much anymore on TTLG.

Gerhard

I don't want to laugh but the situation seems kind of absurdly funny... With all the tards they have floating around TTLG why on earth would they want to pick on Komag? :huh::P

Ah! I could easily think of one thing, but maybe I'm just imagining it.

Gerhard

Maybe they're trying to oust the competition so they'll have a monopoly on Thief fandom...

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Heh, yeah, it will probably just blow over sometime soon :P

I actually like TTLG because most of the folk there (in the Thief forums) are great and have been around doing good Thiefy stuff for years. So, we'll see.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Sadly these things aren't as personal as we make them out to be. Most of the time, it is simply casual for them, and easy for them to do without a second thought. They have the power, and on a whim, let it be done.

It reminds me of a forum I used to visit frequently a few years ago. People would post their art and animations (mostly of avatars for Link to the Past style palettes) and general creations. The rules were to post constructive criticism. Unfortunately for members, this translated into a lack of honesty about most opinions. I remember distinctly that someone posted a piece of art that everyone would praise and encourage, but everything about it was just wrong. It was awful, ugly, and poorly done. I said so, and was instantly given a strike and a letter from an administrator for speaking my mind, although I did offer ways for it to be improved. I said that I was leaving due to such ridiculous behavior, and was contacted by many that are now good friends who supported me in the fullest, happy someone finally spoke with honesty. I never went back and evidently, the community fell apart as I've heard.

Whoa? Komag banned from TTLG? That's quite stupid from the mods. Especially Komag's site being one of the most important for the Thief community. Lately the mods there have been royal idiots.

Sparhawk wrote: Actually my ban was also the reason why I don't post much anymore on TTLG.

LOL! I remember that! And yet you're still double-posting :D You're a rebel. You've double-posted at least twice in this thread alone! You really are set in your ways, aren't you? Ha, I'm not whining or complaining.. just observing, and I think it's funny

*New Horizon, suddenly seeing the light, BANS EVERYONE!!!* Now the board is MINE ALL MINNNNNNNE!!!!!!!!!
Have you banned anyone besides spammers that sell crap or the occassional "LOL this idea sux" troll?
Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

This is the strange thing - sparhawk knows why he was banned and in my opinion it was quite legit. Anyone double posting AFTER being asked not to should expect a ban.

And I'm pretty sure that dislike of Komag stems from the, admittedly questionable, donations that are mentioned on his site. Yes, I understand that they are to keep the site running but the fact is the the vast majority of FMs are other people's work. To some it looks like you are possibly gaining profit from them, and that pisses alot of people off.

I've had my fair share of trouble with the TTLG admins, and they can be selective about which side they take but for the most part I think they are fair. And TTLG does have its share of characters.

I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Yes, I understand that they are to keep the site running but the fact is the the vast majority of FMs are other people's work. To some it looks like you are possibly gaining profit from them, and that pisses alot of people off.

I suppose in that case, they should host their own FM's and get a taste of what maintaining two websites and a slew of FM's is like.