The Dark Mod Forums

I've Been Banned!

Komag

*New Horizon, suddenly seeing the light, BANS EVERYONE!!!* Now the board is MINE ALL MINNNNNNNE!!!!!!!!!
HE'S CONTAMINATED! grabs baseball bat and cracks NH's skull
And I'm pretty sure that dislike of Komag stems from the, admittedly questionable, donations that are mentioned on his site. Yes, I understand that they are to keep the site running but the fact is the the vast majority of FMs are other people's work. To some it looks like you are possibly gaining profit from them, and that pisses alot of people off.

First of all, any FM author that doesnt like the way Komag handles it can ask to have his FM taken off the disks.

Second having sent a couple of Thief CD's to a friend in the UK, I can tell you that most of that money is going into postage which can get pretty steep when youre shipping overseas.

I've had my fair share of trouble with the TTLG admins, and they can be selective about which side they take but for the most part I think they are fair.

Fair? Please SE, dont do drugs! :blink:

I dont fear the dark...the dark fears me!

This is exactly why I only lurk there. I don't like forums where banning is paraded around like a threat, and ad-hominem attacks are commonplace.

Yeah. Same here. I used to be more active, but I'm not interested anymore. I do post every now and then, but not as frequently.

Gerhard

Whoa? Komag banned from TTLG? That's quite stupid from the mods. Especially Komag's site being one of the most important for the Thief community. Lately the mods there have been royal idiots.

Everybody should go on strike. No posting and they see where they get their money from!!!!111!!!1!!!! :)

Gerhard

LOL! I remember that! And yet you're still double-posting :D You're a rebel. You've double-posted at least twice in this thread alone! You really are set in your ways, aren't you? Ha, I'm not whining or complaining.. just observing, and I think it's funny

I never adhere to rules that are only there to make the ones 'in power' happy. And I don't buy that crap about heavy server load because of double posting. If somebody else posts the same post that I would have posted as a double, the server has the same load. Following that crap argument the forum shouldn't even be there, because every posting adds to the server load.

And concerning readabillity - First of all I still think that it is more reasonable to address indivudal postings individually and also the forum doesn't support compressing postings. So I must do it manually. Computers exist to help make peoples live easier, not the other way around. I don't see why I should go to extra effort to help a computer doing less work.

If somebody gives me a good reason that's ok. Even in the army I didn't accept orders just because they could be given. If they don't make sense and serve only the purpose of suppression then screw it. :)

Gerhard

This is the strange thing - sparhawk knows why he was banned and in my opinion it was quite legit. Anyone double posting AFTER being asked not to should expect a ban.

And that's another reason why I continue doing it. Not really because of it, but despite of it. I have seen enough other postings, even after my ban, who didn't even get a warning or a mention.

Also i was not banned because of the double posting, I was banned because the moderator threatened with a ban on this basis, and I told him that he will not ban me because of doubleposting, but because he has an issue with TDM and uses this as an excuse and if he feels better he can go ahead and ban me. Sort of.

Yes, I understand that they are to keep the site running but the fact is the the vast majority of FMs are other people's work. To some it looks like you are possibly gaining profit from them, and that pisses alot of people off.

If somebody doesn't like that, then he should do it better. I can understand it to some extent. Back in the 80ies, I knew a guy I was friendly with (he was a policemen and very helpfull *HEHE*) so I copied Amiga discs for him. I tried to do this for other people as well because I thought this would be an easy money, but it wasn't. Poeple complain because this or that is missing, and you always have to stay on the hunt for the newest stuff etc.. It felt more like a chore for the little I earned so I stopped it. I can easily imagine that this is not SO much different. It IS work to maintain a server and handle the distributions of the DVDs and FMs and personally I didn't feel ripped off when I ordered the FM DVD from him. IN fact I considered it a great service, because it saved me the hassle of hunting all the FMs down on my own for a rather small fee.

I've had my fair share of trouble with the TTLG admins, and they can be selective about which side they take but for the most part I think they are fair. And TTLG does have its share of characters.

Some of them might be fair...

Gerhard

Oh jesus christ

TTLG is not some sort of public service it is just a set of forums and in the end if the moderators decide for whatever reason they don't like you, they have every right to stop you visiting. And I'm sure they had their reasons.

And if you don't like it then you have perfectly free choice not to use TTLG whatsoever.

On the other hand, let's not turn THESE forums into some denizen of the TTLG banned, just because they're smaller and more lenient.

TTLG is not some sort of public service it is just a set of forums and in the end if the moderators decide for whatever reason they don't like you, they have every right to stop you visiting. And I'm sure they had their reasons.

But TTLG *IS* a public service. Anybody can register without restriction which is exactly how a public service is defined. And if there are some rules, then the rules should be followed by everybody, not being interpreted on the whim or friendly terms with the moderators.

Gerhard