The Dark Mod Forums

Wanna Logo?

Renzatic

I agree.

Call me a nerd, I dont care, but I play D&D. And out of all the thieves I have played and played with, none have ever used a sword or anything bigger then that. Its just not the way of the thief. AND since we are basically recreating T3, which had a dagger, should we include that in our mod. I mean think about stealth. How stealthy are you with a big blade out in the open glinting any available knife vs. the use of a dagger covertly tucked away from all view. Plus a sword is a little bit conspicuous when you are walking around town. Think about all of the movies you have seen with thieves....how many can you recall sneaking around with a big sword?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god, not the sword vs dagger again. The size argument just doesn't work, since we also have a thief walking around with a longbow and quiver full of arrows, and who can carry a dozen goblets, plates and paintings around with him on missions. No one is talking about having a thief with a five foot broadsword, either. But a short sword makes sense (and is also the classic D&D Thief weapon, btw).

Arguments for a (small) sword:

1. Continuity. Two of the three Thief Games have Garrett using a sword. (and interestingly enough, even in T3 the other Thieves in the game had swords)

2. Versatility. Garrett doesn't just break into houses, he also travels through underground ruins, crypts and pagan forests. Any character who risks battling zombies, giant spiders, treebeasts and burricks is going to want something longer than a dagger.

3. Gameplay. Fighting with a dagger comes down to clicking fast and circle-strafing. In terms of gameplay it was not enjoyable at all, at least for me. The sword fighting in T1&2 allowed for parrying and fencing, and was more fun to do.

Now, I suppose we could allow for both options...although I can't think of a situation where a dagger would be preferable to either a short sword or a blackjack. But please, if we decide not to use a sword, let's not do it because it's "realistic".

Edited by Springheel

I demand a T1 sword. I was raised with it and the block function, it made me smile.

I liked stabbing people/zombies in my way.

I am all for Fingernail's plan.

Will we be able to implement the block function?

T3 daggerfighting was absolute crap.

Edited by Alexius
empiread3b2.png

I am in agreement on the short sword issue. I think a big part of this project is not just making this a T3 clone, it is also to recapture the essence of the original games that was lost so willingly in T3. The dagger was not within the Thief continuity...regardless of the devs intentions. It may be best to include both options as I hear Garrett was to have gotten a dagger in Thief 2 Gold. Since Looking glass closed down before it could be made we never got to see it. So, yes....a dagger DOES have its place, but so must a sword! :) The Dark Mod can be what Thief 3 should have been.

The Dark Mod can be what Thief 3 should have been.

Thank you! This is exactly my opinion about the mod. I don't want to recreate T3 with all it's aspects, but I want to have a continuity from T1/T2.

It's always dangerous to change a working concept, so it might be best not to sidetrack to far form the legacy but that doesn't mean that we have to adhere to everything like a slave.

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...