The Dark Mod Forums

Problem with .ASE model

ascottk

Does anyone know what's going on with this? It's fullbright and you can see the insides.

Here's how it's supposed to look like (der_tons's model viewer):

modelviewer093a2006071719311892we5.th.jpg

But in the Dark Mod, it looks like this:

doom32006071719365885hs1.th.jpg

I use 3ds max 5.1 sp, ASE format. Here's part the edited ASE file:

*MATERIAL_LIST {
*MATERIAL_COUNT 1
*MATERIAL 0 {
	*MATERIAL_NAME "waterpump"
	*MATERIAL_CLASS "Standard"
	*MATERIAL_AMBIENT 0.5882	0.5882	0.5882
	*MATERIAL_DIFFUSE 0.5882	0.5882	0.5882
	*MATERIAL_SPECULAR 0.9000	0.9000	0.9000
	*MATERIAL_SHINE 0.1000
	*MATERIAL_SHINESTRENGTH 0.0000
	*MATERIAL_TRANSPARENCY 0.0000
	*MATERIAL_WIRESIZE 1.0000
	*MATERIAL_SHADING Blinn
	*MATERIAL_XP_FALLOFF 0.0000
	*MATERIAL_SELFILLUM 0.0000
	*MATERIAL_FALLOFF In
	*MATERIAL_XP_TYPE Filter
	*MAP_DIFFUSE {
		*MAP_NAME "diffuse"
		*MAP_CLASS "Bitmap"
		*MAP_SUBNO 1
		*MAP_AMOUNT 1.0000
		*BITMAP "\\darkmod\models\darkmod\props\textures\waterpump.tga"
		*MAP_TYPE Screen
		*UVW_U_OFFSET 0.0000
		*UVW_V_OFFSET 0.0000
		*UVW_U_TILING 1.0000
		*UVW_V_TILING 1.0000
		*UVW_ANGLE 0.0000
		*UVW_BLUR 1.0000
		*UVW_BLUR_OFFSET 0.0000
		*UVW_NOUSE_AMT 1.0000
		*UVW_NOISE_SIZE 1.0000
		*UVW_NOISE_LEVEL 1
		*UVW_NOISE_PHASE 0.0000
		*BITMAP_FILTER Pyramidal
	}

And here's my material:

waterpump
{
metal

diffusemap	  models/darkmod/props/textures/waterpump.tga
bumpmap		 models/darkmod/props/textures/waterpump_local.tga
specularmap	 models/darkmod/props/textures/waterpump_s.tga
}

Does anyone know what's going on with this? It's fullbright and you can see the insides.

Here's how it's supposed to look like (der_tons's model viewer):

modelviewer093a2006071719311892we5.th.jpg

But in the Dark Mod, it looks like this:

doom32006071719365885hs1.th.jpg

I use 3ds max 5.1 sp, ASE format. Here's part the edited ASE file:

*MATERIAL_LIST {
*MATERIAL_COUNT 1
*MATERIAL 0 {
	*MATERIAL_NAME "waterpump"
	*MATERIAL_CLASS "Standard"
	*MATERIAL_AMBIENT 0.5882	0.5882	0.5882
	*MATERIAL_DIFFUSE 0.5882	0.5882	0.5882
	*MATERIAL_SPECULAR 0.9000	0.9000	0.9000
	*MATERIAL_SHINE 0.1000
	*MATERIAL_SHINESTRENGTH 0.0000
	*MATERIAL_TRANSPARENCY 0.0000
	*MATERIAL_WIRESIZE 1.0000
	*MATERIAL_SHADING Blinn
	*MATERIAL_XP_FALLOFF 0.0000
	*MATERIAL_SELFILLUM 0.0000
	*MATERIAL_FALLOFF In
	*MATERIAL_XP_TYPE Filter
	*MAP_DIFFUSE {
		*MAP_NAME "diffuse"
		*MAP_CLASS "Bitmap"
		*MAP_SUBNO 1
		*MAP_AMOUNT 1.0000
		*MAP_TYPE Screen
		*UVW_U_OFFSET 0.0000
		*UVW_V_OFFSET 0.0000
		*UVW_U_TILING 1.0000
		*UVW_V_TILING 1.0000
		*UVW_ANGLE 0.0000
		*UVW_BLUR 1.0000
		*UVW_BLUR_OFFSET 0.0000
		*UVW_NOUSE_AMT 1.0000
		*UVW_NOISE_SIZE 1.0000
		*UVW_NOISE_LEVEL 1
		*UVW_NOISE_PHASE 0.0000
		*BITMAP_FILTER Pyramidal
	}

And here's my material:

waterpump
{
metal

diffusemap	  models/darkmod/props/textures/waterpump.tga
bumpmap		 models/darkmod/props/textures/waterpump_local.tga
specularmap	 models/darkmod/props/textures/waterpump_s.tga
}

For whatever reason, ase's seem to give us trouble, so our final files are converted to lwo. I'm not sure if there is a 3ds to lwo converter, but we have a program floating around here called, Deep Exploration that will allow you to convert pretty much any model format. :) I can also set you up with a copy of lightwave if you're interested in trying it out so that you can work natively in lwo format.

I imported several objects with ASE and never had a problem. Since I use Blender this is the only format I can use. ASE is not the problem, it's jsut another format. Only drawback is that you can not use multiple materials which you can do with LWO, because D3 doesn't read the different materials for ASE.

Gerhard

My guess is that this line is causing it to use waterpump.tga as the material without a shader. I don't see anything in the part you quoted that directs it to the "waterpump" material.

Only drawback is that you can not use multiple materials which you can do with LWO, because D3 doesn't read the different materials for ASE.

I've seen some of our .ASE files have multiple materials and they seemed to work ok.

.lwo files are preferable though, because that's what most of the model department uses, and it makes it easier to find out what's wrong if there are problems or resizing is needed.

"base" is required in the material path so you get this:

"\\base\models\darkmod\props\textures\waterpump"

you don't have to add .tga at the end

ASE is also the only format i can export with (or lwo using milkshape). Multiple textures in ASE works. But you have to export seperated models and combine them back in notepad. Although in Max you could use different material id's i believe.

I've seen some of our .ASE files have multiple materials and they seemed to work ok.

Can you tell me an example? Last time I had issues with it and on D3world there was also a thread saying that only the first line of the material entry is read by D3. I haven't followed it up though, but I'm still interested wether this got a resolve.

Gerhard

My guess is that this line is causing it to use waterpump.tga as the material without a shader. I don't see anything in the part you quoted that directs it to the "waterpump" material.

Correct. The *BITMAP line should be "//base/" followed by the material name, "waterpump" in this case. You can use backslashes or forward slashes according to preference.

Multi-material single meshes do not work, multi-material multi-meshes do work. Depending on your modelling app the difference may be significant or not (in Blender it is actually easier to use the latter).

Multi-material single meshes do not work, multi-material multi-meshes do work. Depending on your modelling app the difference may be significant or not (in Blender it is actually easier to use the latter).

..i've already done it a couple of times for trees and other stuff (single model using multiple materials). I agree lwo has some advantages over ase because you can setup multi materials already in lightwave itself. You just have to know what to do.

Correct. The *BITMAP line should be "//base/" followed by the material name, "waterpump" in this case. You can use backslashes or forward slashes according to preference.

:D That helped! Thanks.

doom32006071811581194uj5.th.jpg

Now how do I tone down the specular? Here's the texture:

waterpumpsez8.th.jpg

Now how do I tone down the specular? Here's the texture:

Just make it darker (more black). You may not even need a specular at all for some models. A lesser-known fact is that you can also colour the specular, so you could give it a brownish rusty sheen, for instance.

It's not the normal map, it the uvw mapping :blink: The curved pipes are a PITA to unwrap :P

Unwrapping a pipe like that would be trivial in Blender - perhaps there are improved UV-mapping tools in a later version of 3DS Max? You don't have to use version 5.1 anymore...

Unwrapping a pipe like that would be trivial in Blender - perhaps there are improved UV-mapping tools in a later version of 3DS Max? You don't have to use version 5.1 anymore...

I can hook you up with the latest version if you're interested ascottk.

Damn, I'm like some kind of pimp these days. "hey buddy, you want an app?"

I can hook you up with the latest version if you're interested ascottk.

:laugh: I can see NH now: long overcoat with cds lined up in his coat pocket . . . Anyway, I'm getting it ironed out. I have to use more than one modifier at a time (UVW unwrap for detailing, uv map for general stuff).

EDIT:

This is a lot better:

doom32006071814013646cr3.th.jpg

LOL! :laugh:

Does anybody have Ultimate Unwrap 3D without the restrictions? I would like to try it and it's not THAT expensive, but I hate to install crippleware demos. I was wondering if it is much better then Blenders unwrapping, which seems quite fine though.

Gerhard

Does anybody have Ultimate Unwrap 3D without the restrictions? I would like to try it and it's not THAT expensive, but I hate to install crippleware demos. I was wondering if it is much better then Blenders unwrapping, which seems quite fine though.

The impression I get is that there IS nothing better than Blender's UV mapping. People get very excited about 3rd party apps which perform "automatic unwrapping" which is just the same as Blender's LSCM unwrap.

Yes, that's why I thought I would give it a try. And also maybe to convert models because it seems to support a lot of formats (except Blender of course). I quite liked Blenders approach and after watching a video tutorial on how to use it I found it very easy and intuitive.

LOL, intuitive only after I saw the video, so it might not be THAT intuitive, but still it is very good. :)

Gerhard

I quite liked Blenders approach and after watching a video tutorial on how to use it I found it very easy and intuitive.

Have you tried the Live LSCM feature in later releases of Blender yet? You can produce your original unwrapping, pin some vertices, move them around and watch the entire map deform in realtime as you drag.

Also there are some new additions in 2.42, including an "Angle-based" unwrap which is supposedly better than LSCM (something to do with warping, I haven't investigated much), and much easier seam-creation tools (just choose two points on either side of a model and Blender will create a seam automatically along the shortest path between them).

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I get the relative paths according to our mod. But how do I get to the d3 base? Html/bash/dos goes something like this "..\" or ".." to go to a parent directory. I'm asking because I'm trying to get to the nodraw material in the d3 base directory with an ase.

EDIT: Nevermind, this'll work:

\\purgatory\purgatory\Doom\base\textures\common\nodraw.tga

I just needed to look as d3's ase models :rolleyes:

Don't forget you are referencing the material not the texture itself, ergo no ".tga". Also, you need to put in the material-name, not the path to the texture.

I couldn't find the material before. But after a closer look it's in invisible.mtr:

textures/common/nodraw

Do I just put that in the ASE? I think I tried that & it didn't work. How about:

//purgatory/purgatory/Doom/base/textures/common/nodraw

The problem I was trying to get around was using resources from tDM's parent directory.