The Dark Mod Forums

Street.

bob_arctor

A small section of Street I made in D3. The only major problem is that I have an artifact, some kind of bug has left this rubbish remenant in my map, despite the fact it shows up neither in the gridview or the realtime render. Copying the map into a new file doesn't solve it either! Arg!

2 enterable houses. First is a squat, not very interesting, thiefy outdoors loo with a view on the factory. Second is the posh one. Gas lights substitute for a real model. Seem okay. Did have opaque piping but it cast grim shadows and I have no gold texture so it was black, not very nice. Glass= posher.

Tried to do what people said about detail, I looked at real houses and thought "Yeah they have more going on than just doors and windows. At least the interesting ones do. See the skirting boards, cornering, window sills, door surrounds etc.

Mages tower. A bit of thiefy fun. I quite like the dark organic possibilities you can get in d3ed, so I put on some anus-texture (Seriously, id texture names are anustube001 etc) fleshy tubes piercing out the tower, and creepy green lighting. D3 Hell textures have some nice bits and bobs, the brickwork making up the street surface for example.

I read in the wiki about how electricity in TDM travels though EM induction etc, like how transformers work, with prongs for "electricity waves" to come off. Like Thief. So I went about making some crazy pronged lamposts. I am really pleased with them. Nice off-the-wall fantasy feel.

Posh house bedroom is a bit barren. As I say, models and textures limited so far.

Here it is on Imageshack. Use mozilla.

shot2ry9.th.jpg

shot3poshhousevv0.th.jpg

shot4sculleryesquehq7.th.jpg

shot5bedroomvl6.th.jpg

shot7magestowerdo0.th.jpg

shot6detailco6.th.jpg

shot8lr2.th.jpg

shot9littlehouserm7.th.jpg

Edited by bob_arctor

Well I got a great tutorial set starting with http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3016. I did the one on basics, visportals and doors, and bending cylindrical meshes.

I have also used Hammer for Source, which I found very easy, and did 2 maps on that. It was for CSS though, so not very fun, and I loathed the bugs (Doom 3 has more bugs than I'd like) which ended up ruining my maps.

To be honest for my 4th proper (non tutorial) map overall it's not bad. Maybe it's just natural to me.

But could I be a beta mapper? I'm quite hungry for more resources, that is more models, and other textures to augment my own.

Or is another map required?

Oh and I learnt how to texture though learning GIMP, and then getting texture tutorials.

There is a great GIMP plug-in which converts greyscale height maps to normal maps. Invaluble.

Blender?? The only actual models that are shown in these shots (more in the shabby house, but I didn't show it) there are are the shelf in the skullery.

Everything else is chunky basic map objects made from primitives. I'm surprised you couldn't tell. They are very Thief II.

Or do you mean windows etc? All textures are taken from real life photographs manipulated to varying degrees. Barring the D3 Hell ones: the street cobbles and the type of roof tile visible on the short bungalo.

Edited by bob_arctor

NOW it's starting to look good. If you're using primitives in the primitives tab in D3ed no wonder you think it's buggy. Those primitives are all brushes, which leads to fuckups in geometry. If you can, avoid the primitives at all cost. For round objects use patches as they look much better, or use models. But if you must use primitives and they're causing you problems then simply select the culprit primitive and turn it into a func_static. This means that it won't be used for the bsp tree and thus means no fuckups such as bsp holes. It also means it is treated like a model unless you set in_line to 1 (don't for these things) which turns it back into brushes on bsp. In your map I would turn all of those lamps into func_statics, they will still collide properly with arrows and the like and won't cause holes.

Hope that helped :)

As for if it's beta mapper material, I would say almost :) And considering the speed at which you're learning it should'nt be long before you're more then good enough.

Um. That is a real texture taken from a church in a Francican monestary near Charlieu, France.

It needs redoing though, I see now.

And maybe not being applied to a house like that.

It's hard to judge these things though in the little real-time-render window, where they look great. Fullscreen 1200*1000 odd resolution is a different matter.

In fact //all// the textures there are from real life sources. Old architecture has a lot of patterns.

Um. That is a real texture taken from a church in a Francican monestary near Charlieu, France.

It needs redoing though, I see now.

And maybe not being applied to a house like that.

It's hard to judge these things though in the little real-time-render window, where they look great. Fullscreen 1200*1000 odd resolution is a different matter.

In fact //all// the textures there are from real life sources. Old architecture has a lot of patterns.

What I mean to say is: you should judge every texture solely by its ability to make you "believe" the scene. Does it look like real stone, wood, tapestry etc? Does it further your suspension of disbelief? Are you in a Steampunk-Universe?

Or do you think "What the heck is that supposed to be?!" first of all.

Good texturing (not necessarily the making but the good placing of textures) is half the rent for a mapper.

Kind regards

gleeful