The Dark Mod Forums

New Gothic 3 Teaser Trailer

Komag

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, why do you Europeans get the game already and I still have to wait a month???

Makes a nice change for the Europeans I guess; usually things come out in the US first. Payback's a bitch. ;)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Hey, why do you Europeans get the game already and I still have to wait a month???

Anyone got it yet?

Because the developers are from here. :) Actually I live kind of next door to them. :) I also applied for a job with Piranha Bytes some year ago, but they don't want to pay. The boss said, that they rather go with students, because they work almost for the honour and only small money, while I have to pay my expenses. I guess he also didn't think I were suited to the game industry because my resume showed only application development. As if that would make much difference.

And no, I wont get it anytime soon. With Gothic I there were so many problems with the copyprotection that it barely run, so I waited on G2 until it matured. By the time it was also cheaper and I saved me the hassle.

Gerhard

I prefer them to The Elder Scrolls games, but TES always get far higher scores in reviews.

The controls and the fighting system in gothic is always trashed by nearly every critic,and alsothe simplicity of the levign system.

The most important part of an RPG for me is the world and the NPCs, and that is what is good about Gothic.

Sure, Bethesda can write as many history books for elder scolls as they like, but the world still seems flat and dead to me.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

The world in G1 and G2 seemed much more alive than any other RPG I played so far. I don't like to read all that crap on-screen. Even though I like to read, I don't like it on a computer screen. That's why I also don't bother to read the tomes in BG2. Elder Scrolls never felt alive to me, it always felt more tiresome. In G1 and G2 I always liked to hike around. In Elder Scrolls the world looks nice, but somehow I don't know. It doesn't immerse me. But I don't hold much value in the ratings anyway. I read the reviews because there is more information and from that I can usually much better infer wether a game might be interesting to me.

I remember reading about Sniper Elite. The game got a pretty bad rating, because the reviewer didn't like that style of game. She didn't like it that, as a sniper you have to crawl through a level and be slow and carefull, instead of running through with blazing guns. So even though the description was bad (she claimed it was boring and you have to stand around a lot and watch your environment) I knew that this would be the game for me. :) I mean, playing Thief also involves a lot of watching, so that doesn't really turn me off. And some games are meant to be considered like chess games, where you have to plan and think. And in Sniper Elite, they reall did this well. If you watch your environmnet, you can take out a lot of the enemies, but you really have to watch and it is very slowpaced because of that. And this was what got it the bad rating. :)

Gerhard

One of the most important things to me about Gothic vs Elder Scrolls is the monster leveling. In Gothic I really get a sense of what areas are too dangerous to go into yet, so I look forward to becoming strong enough to eventually make it in there. With Oblivion, for example, I was fighting guys 5x tougher than the boss of the whole game, because I had finished the main quest already and was still playing in the world later on with leveled up AI.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Exactly. The levelling system is the single most stupid decision in the elder scrolls games. And, most everyone on their own forums bemoans it, too. Tons of mods attempt to fix it. But will they do it yet again in Elder Scrolls V? You can probably bet on it.

Most places should be off-limits to n00bs. You should have to work up to it, otherwise where is the challenge and reward? Where is the sense of "wow, he kicked my ass... but I'll be back later and he'll be sorry!", or "I can't wait to see what's in that mountain"? It's all about stupid "open endedness" (lame wording for chaotic haphazard design) and reaching broad audiences with "let me have it NOW!" gameplay. The fact that you can go into an Oblivion gate and actually face similar level things and get out alive, as a first level character, is so moronic that it should automatically bring down all review scores by 20%. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got Gothic 3 recently and I am completely satisfied with it gameplay wise except with a few things. But it really looks like the good old Gothic with not too much added. Except the combat system is weird and dumb at the moment, I hope they patch it up. Too much FedEx quests. And the stupid lensflare effect, thanks to fans that removed it.

They really messed it up with the graphic settings. First I wasn't able to play it because I only had 1 Gb of Ram. Well, I was, but it barely worked. Then we bought up to 3 Gb (my dad uses Photoshop). I loaded it at low settings, it ran OK but it was somewhat jerky in a weird way, and didn't look well, of course. My config is Radeon X850/X800, Pentium D Dual Core 2.8 Ghz. Worked OK for Oblivion, so I was a bit unsatisfied. I played like this for a while, with all the jerkyness. Then I wanted to have a laugh and put everything except AA and DoF to max. So I load the game... it works with absolutely the same speed as it did with the low settings. Then I put AA up to x16. Same thing. I even had the impression the game went smoother... anyway, on my system it doesn't seem to matter what settings I put. It slows down the same way in any situation. The only thing that seemed to matter is the vegetation and view distance of it (can be changed in g3.ini). It made the game a bit slower.

Some guys on IXBT said something about the Gothic 3 programmers messing up the memory. They say that textures loaded in the memory become lost and have to be loaded back again, and that is where the jerkyness comes from.

The game looks gorgeous, though (in my opinion). Since it is an RPG I don't need a high speed so I just play at max - FoD... Technically it is worse than Oblivion, but Oblivion always had that very slender and smooth look, so now I preffer Gothic 3. It always rooked a bit jagged but for some reason I consider that more realistic and immersive.

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

The regular blabber from:

a) Gothic haters.

B) Zealous Gothic fans who can't meet anything new.

c) Technos who only care about the current shader version.

I like Gothic 3 look better. That's just my opinion. I'm not a fan of smoothing out everything. And the grass is gorgeus, though it is regular green grass, not as good as Oblivion. I can give you screens if you want.

But who cares? As long as the gameplay is OK I'm satisfied.

I don't know, Gothic 3 is not an FPS so I really don't care about the little jams. Yes, it does jam a bit all the time, and it goes really bad if there are a lot of people fighting, but so far I managed to do it all right. I really didn't see any other bugs except the "Where is the Guru?" but that gets out randomly so I don't care, like G1-G2 never did that. I hope by the time I reach a large fight they will patch it up as they promise they will.

Edited by Forsaken

Well I am a Gothic fan, but this is unplayabe for me. I haven't got a leet system, but I get a playble smooth framerate in Oblivion, but Gothic even on low settings it chugging away everytime I turn around, or evertime I travel 50 meters in any direction as it loads in the next area. The initial load time is the worst I've ever seen in a PC game, it reminds of when games came on tape casstettes in the 80's and you had to load them onto one of those old computers before playing them, and it even takes 20 seconds to make a 'quick' save. Also if it crashes during a save you're fucked unless you always have a backup of it. There's also a memory leak, this thing can use 1500k of RAM if you play it for a few hours.

A very badly programmed engine. Probably due to what Sparhawk said about them refusing to employ any experienced coders and only taking noobs straight ot of university who will work for almost nothing.

THere is no excuse for releasing an engine like this.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I think they probably have one or two (don't know) but the main coding work is done by students as I understood it. The problem with this is, that it only works well if you have time to review the code. Knowing how such gameproductions are, there certainly is no such time, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of bad coding in such games in general.

Another issue is of course the approach that faster computers will fix everything in the future.

Gerhard

Well, people like oDDity is the reason why I don't like blind "fans".

There is nothing more stupid than comparing Oblivion and Gothic. Oblivion was made by a powerful Bethesda company, they have money, experience, time, everything. And they still managed to make the autolevel badly.

Gothic, on the other hand, was created by Pyranha Bytes that has little money (why they took inexperienced coders in the first place who are much easier to deal with), few people, a publisher that forced them to speed up the release, and they are not at all in the good situation. Let alone the fact that they are making a seamless world, and no one, let alone them, has any experience on how that is supposed to work. In my opinion, they made a teriffic job. To create a giant beautiful world without any loadings - that is something even Bethesda didn't manage to achieve.

What is your configuration, oDDity? I don't have any of those bugs you mentioned.

The constant slow-down comes from a mistake with the memory - textures get lost there. They'll deal with it soon. And don't keep settings on low. Raise it up, and pull AA to x16, it may even work a bit better. It won't stop the lagging, the lag will stay with any system, so don't keep settings low.

Saved perfectly OK with me, nothing crashed during saves. Some other people got that problem, but there is a program that saves the save games after a crash.

Without any loading? The game is one big loading session, and I have 1500 RAM.

I dont' want to hear any excuses about low quality products, if they haven't the money or manpower, then they should not have such ambitious plans. I'd rather see less ambitious plans done well.

It's amusing the way some people will happily make excuses when it comes to low quality and buggy software. I've never heard anyone making excuses for computer hardware companies who make buggy equipment 'oh they're only a poor little company, give therm a break'.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Without any loading? The game is one big loading session, and I have 1500 RAM.

I dont' want to hear any excuses about low quality products, if they haven't the money or manpower, then they should not have such ambitious plans. I'd rather see less ambitious plans done well.

It's amusing the way some people will happily make excuses when it comes to low quality and buggy software. I've never heard anyone making excuses for computer hardware companies who make buggy equipment 'oh they're only a poor little company, give therm a break'.

At the begginning? It doesn't depend on ram, I have 3 Gigs (1.5 is minimum, btw), same thing. Though I'm more concerned with loading time. I'll probably switch to medium level difficulty, I'm tired of killing one wolf per half-an-hour...

Don't call yourself a fan then.

I would rather see original games done buggily and graphically low or incomplete, like Mount&Blade, than have some boring game that has nothing original in it but has great graphics and no bugs. These games I'm sick and tired of, the same thing over and over again. The creators of G3 had their plans, ambitious fans and that is a good thing, they gradualy went from G1 to G3 and they achieved them, with casualities, which they are they currently working on. They went slightly more far then M&B went, they wanted to make a game on level with Oblivion, even better, with all the strength and idea they had. I respect them for that. I see no problem in playing with current lag. I can stand it for some reason. They'll sort it out anyway. Not a problem to me. As long as the game is good, which it is. People that I know that like Gothic now play G3 with those lags, they don't complain for some reason. You want to get a boring game but clean with no bugs and great graphics/optimisation? Your choice. Yours only. And no reason or right to bash the developers. It's for them to decide whether to hire students for programming or not, or whether to have ambitious plans. Don't like it - don't play the game. Or wait for patch # 13.

And don't drag hardware. There is no way you can get original in hardware (well, almost). Hardware can't be in between, it's either works or not. All hardware is popularized, there is no "fan" hardware. There is no way you can patch hardware in the future. Bad example.

Of course there are fans of hardware. There is brand loyalty, which is the same as game developer loyalty.

There's nothing worse than blind loyalty however, accepting low quality and likjing it, and makig excuses for it, just because of your loyalty.

And there is absolutely nothing new or innovative about Gothic 3 anyway, it's the same game as the first 2, only more of it. Its not like they had to reinvent the wheel, and that's why they failed. They have no excuses,so stop trying to think of some for them, just because you're addicted to playing the fantasy games they make.

- Emil Zola

character models site