The Dark Mod Forums

New Gothic 3 Teaser Trailer

Komag

There are fans of ANYTHING.

I'm not addicted to the game. Define "addicted", anyway. I liked G1, didn't like G2 for some reason, and now I like G3. I don't want anything changed there. I like the game the way it is. And I don't care about the lags. Don't ask me why. I just don't.

What was new in G2? Not that much. They still went OK. And they will go OK now. They already did. They got past it. A few patches and Oblivion will be in trouble.

These are not excuses, these are reasons. I'm not going ot bash Dark Mod or EoC if they come out all ragged and buggy, and I'm sure they will.

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't compare free mods to a commercial company who are being paid good money by customers to make a bug free and stable game.

It's their full time job, while TDM is a part time hobby.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Having bug in the code is not the big problem. It's inevitable, as Goedel proofed long ago. :laugh: But having GLARING bugs in a commercial game is indeed a big nono. And the custom of more companies throwing out code where they STILL know it's bugy is bordering on fraud, because they want to make the buck now and know that people get used to patch games later on.

Imagine if you bought a car where you had to come in several times to fix the breaks, the steering wheel gets loose every so often and so on. I doubt that such a company would make money in the long run, but for games and software it became customary to do so.

Gerhard

Do I have to give my thoughts on the subject for the 10th time? I hate publishers. All of them. From EA to Activision. They spoil the games because all they care about is money. You are blaming the wrong people. It's Jowood that is releasing the game ahead of time, not Piranha. That is what I think. With a few exceptions. When it comes to the developers of the game, especially developers of such rare games as Gothic or Mount&Blade (is a project you do pay for, by the way), I'm not keen to blame them because I like their games and I know they are having problems getting money. That is my opinion, you may as well consider that developers are always money-seeking freaks that sometimes make good games by accident.

Gothic always got much less money because it was properly bought only in Europe, while in USA I never saw a game box of it. And as long as I know, they didn't have Jowood as publisher until now. They didn't have any money until AFTER now. Damn what a good thing it was. So they are not that far from TDM that way, if you compare everything.

What worries me is that the game itself seems incomplete. And when that is a problem, I'll definately forget about all the graphics.

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

I'm downloading the demo now, will try it out on my wimpy laptop (I'm sure it will perform horribly, but I'll see if it's at least possible to play), then I'll try it on my desktop at home tonight.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

No surprise, the game is completely unplayable on my laptop (which is just below the "minimum" requirements)

1.4ghz Pentium M

1 gig ram

GeForce FX Go5650 w/128meg ram

I tried to play the opening fight, and it was a bad slide show. I had already reduced every option to the minimum possible, so everything looked like utter crap anyway. I was able to kill an orc after a lot of misses, over turning, etc, due to the 1fps framerate. I then ran out of town, and looked straight down at the ground in a barren grass area, and my framerate went up to about 2 or 3fps. So it quit.

At home I have a good GeForce 6800 GT (overclocked 10%), so we'll see...

It plays pretty well on my home PC with all uptions turned up (except resolution, which I ran at 1024x768). It's a little bit hiccupey when traveling, I suppose due to constantly loading the area ahead. The framerate is pretty smooth, probably around 20-30 in good areas, down to 10-15 at moments or fights with many people.

Athlon XP 2500+ w/1gig ram (dunno the speed of it)

GeForce 6800 GT AGP8x OC'ed 10% w/256meg ram

I really hate the ugly LOD junk though, the grass pop-in, the landscape texture paint-over, the whole blurry distant land deal, the tree foliage growing in like crazy, and all the other stuff like that. It's jarring. I think I would rather put up with lower detail overall in close stuff than have just soooooo much LOD optimizing everywhere.

I didn't really talk to anyone or do anything other than run around the whole land area for about 1/2 hour, fighting a few monsters, going in a cave, trying to climb some slopes, exploring a sort of plains area, saying hi to a turtle on the beach, etc.

I'll probaby delete the demo now so I don't get into it, because I'm definitely going to be buying the full game, but not next week when it comes out. I'll probably wait until after the new year. I have a lot of other games to still play, and plus they'll probably have a couple good patches by then, not to mention some user hacks/tweaks that I'll be able to take advantage of.

I'm enjoying the demo, even as someone who didn't play the older Gothics, but the load times seem a bit ridiculous, and a lot of the time the "seamless" transitions when running around outside are anything but (in fact sometimes I get a crash to desktop when running toward a new area when it loads). I'm not even trying the "high" settings, "medium" is killing my system as-is.

Well, people like oDDity is the reason why I don't like blind "fans".

There is nothing more stupid than comparing Oblivion and Gothic. Oblivion was made by a powerful Bethesda company, they have money, experience, time, everything. And they still managed to make the autolevel badly.

Gothic, on the other hand, was created by Pyranha Bytes that has little money (why they took inexperienced coders in the first place who are much easier to deal with), few people, a publisher that forced them to speed up the release, and they are not at all in the good situation. Let alone the fact that they are making a seamless world, and no one, let alone them, has any experience on how that is supposed to work. In my opinion, they made a teriffic job. To create a giant beautiful world without any loadings - that is something even Bethesda didn't manage to achieve.

Um, they are both charging money, they are both gonna get equally criticized. If gothic doesnt want to be compared to the big boys, then they need to charge less. If they are gonna charge the same as the 'experienced' developers / publishers, then they should deliver the same thing the experienced groups are capable of. In other words, lack of experience goes out the door for me when they are charging me for the game.

In an unrelated matter. I had a hard time with the demo. I've got an FX55, Geforce 6800GT, 2 GB of RAM. It seems like it drops tons of frames and freezes quite constantly (almost like a load time because I can hear the hard drive hitting quite a bit, but I thought this game was not supposed to have load zones). This is my first Gothic experience, but I'm kind of disappointed in the demo. Is the quality the same in the final game?

• 2 weeks later...

Not surprised. I uninstalled it after an hour.

Developers just can't get away with releasing half finished buggy games these days when it comes to reviews.

I notice some people are happy to start complaining and making petitions against things like Steam, but loud complaining and boycotts of publishers/developers releasing games that are buggy and unfinished should be top of the agenda.

You can be sure that Jowood and Pyranha Bytes sat down had deliberately decided to release this game, knowing it wasn't ready. It shows that they don't give a fuck about the fans.

It's no good blaming the publisher either, the developer has to take responsibility for not having the game ready by an agreed date. You can't expect the publishers to endlessly put back the release date because the developer is not doing their job.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah, this is immensely disappointing. Gothic 3 WAS on my "have to buy at full price" list, but now I'm not planning to buy it for at least 6 months, maybe longer, till I read that a massive full-game fixing patch has been released (which may never happen)