The Dark Mod Forums

My Compliments To The Sound-department!

gleeful

It might surprise you but up until now I have been so busy mapping and modelling, that I never got around to placing any sounds. :blush:

Well, yesterday I did for the first time and I'm in awe - the quality and quantity is already amazing and really makes your maps come alive! :)

So thank you everyone for your excellent work - it is much appreciated.

Keep an ear open for stuff like popping in loops, hissing or other oddities - we have very little beta feedback on sounds yet.

At one point I listened to most of the sfx sounds just to see what they sound like and heard no problems :) , so you guys are doing really well atm.

At the same time the sound guys should be thanking you all for your incredible artwork, modeling, and programming. The promo video was incredible and what little I've seen of the in-game stuff is amazing and totally blows away what TDS was trying to be!

It's great to be on such a talented team of individuals! :blink:

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

Thx for the feedback. I would like to create some more audio, but haven't figured out my keyboard dilemma yet. I hope to see some test maps soon with some ambient sounds/music going on, so we can get a better feel of what is working well and what isn't.

I think all sounds are great the only exception are the rain sounds.

Weather rain01 loop sounds good.

But 02 is like someone having a shower..

03 even worse..reminds me of far shower + someone pissing on cobblestones nearby :ph34r:

04 sound like a campfire by a river.. with that much pouring i think the drips should be a lot more serious.

The other sounds i found really good, but those rain ambients i found strange the first time i heard them..

Perhaps rain 02 could be fixed by using some kind of low-pass filter? I think the reason it sounds like it's in a shower is because it has a lot of high-frequency noises, indicating a small enclosed space.

Rain 03 sounds fine to me. Perfect for where a rain gutter meets the street.

• 2 weeks later...

The quality of the ambient sounds is great. My only comment is that they could perhaps be made more "ambient", as a lot of them have volume changes, percussive and transient sounds which reduce their capacity to be used as background loops.

Most of the ambients from T1/2 were very short and simple, perhaps only 2 or 4 bars long without much happening in them. The mapper could then use layered ambients along with incidental sounds to build up the tension where necessary.

At the very least, could some dynamic range compression be used to avoid the situation where you set the volume based on the start of the ambient, only to be startled by a sudden loud "BONG!" that happens half-way through the loop?