The Dark Mod Forums

New Stone Textures

Norsu

First let me say that those are beautiful textures!

Unfortunately, I don't think we can use them for TDM as-is: The images are clearly lit from above and have shadows in them. We need diffusemaps that aren't lit from any one direction, so that the shadows can be generated by normalmaps, allowing the texture to be lit from any angle.

If you can make textures that fulfill the requirements of diffusemaps, we'd love to use them!

You probably already know, but just in case: cloudy overcast days are perfect for bright, non-shadowed snapshots. :)

True, that's something I noticed while taking photos for FDFMOD textures ;).

I tried to make neutral version of my hires granit1.tga, you can download it here. The original granit1.tga shows the proper style for normal, diffuse etc. maps.

First let me say that those are beautiful textures!

Unfortunately, I don't think we can use them for TDM as-is: The images are clearly lit from above and have shadows in them. We need diffusemaps that aren't lit from any one direction, so that the shadows can be generated by normalmaps, allowing the texture to be lit from any angle.

If you can make textures that fulfill the requirements of diffusemaps, we'd love to use them!

The shadows could be an easy fix. Copy the diffuse layer, invert the copy, then overlay the copy on the original. Then adjust the layer opacity, add a mask to the copy & get rid of anything that's totally cancelling out the details. etc. :huh:

Both Norsu's and your new diffusemaps are much better than the original with regards to lighting, but it still clearly has signs of being lit from a specific direction... (try looking at it rotated 90 degrees)

I did that in roughly two minutes but I was trying to show it is possible to fix the shadows.

I made some tests with quick 5 minute normal and diffuse maps in Doom 3 Hell level. Here's a screenshot. My first ever normal and diffuse maps so they look quite flat :P.

Looks pretty damn good to me. ^_^

ascottk, we should get that tip (and any established little formulas like that) documented for sure! I'm dying to know more stuff like that.

I used the GIMP for all of my texturing. Here's a quick & dirty tutorial for getting rid of shadows:

1. Copy the diffuse layer
  2. invert the colors on the copy
  3. overlay the copy on the original (experiment using overlay, multiply, grain merge, etc.)
  4. adjust the layer opacity on the copied layer so it nearly cancels out the original
  5. add a mask to the copy & get rid of anything that's totally cancelling out the details (the mask is white=opaque, black=transparent. use the airbrush with black or dark grey)
  6. merge the two layers
  7. adjust the gamma levels on the final image

Here's the best tutorial for tileable textures. I use this technique all of the time (the first texture on this thread looks like a mirror image of itself. It's obvious when you do the offset).

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Tileable_Textures/

Yep, you can use burn/dodge or brightness/contrast or levels/curves etc., to raise (lighten) certain parts and lower (darken) others. With the right gradation tricks it works great. For example, if you wanted to recede the mortar, you could select it all and reduce the contrast and darken it heavily in the normalmap source image (and/or do the same for the blocks, but lighten instead). Just one of many things to try.

I updated the granitsand1 texture, you can download it here. This should be pretty much finished texture but there's always room for improvement. So try it and give some feedback ;).

If you still have the old height map (granitsand1_h.tga) from my earlier rar you can delete it as it's now useless.