The Dark Mod Forums

Sexual Identity And MMOs

Ombrenuit

orbweaver coming across as hideously embittered by personal experience itt

aside from that, sure, I dun played both in the past. I remember making a female character in Fallout, for instance. It was quite funny to get occasionally chatted up by the male NPCs, but it actually gives you a slight advantage if you had the sex appeal trait as well.

Surely playing Tomb Raider would lead to the same confusion? I know that some games are called RPGs, but it's not like I really put any of myself into the characters in a serious way.

Ah yes, Fallout. I think that was the first game where I tried on a female character. But to be fair Fingernail, in Fallout the game really is different based upon your choice of sex (along with about a million other choices). Female characters get all sorts of “fun” options.

Ombrenuit:

To take up for the parents though (disclaimer: I have two teens), I can somewhat see where your parent’s concern comes from Ombrenuit. The media and the schools try to fill us parents with SCARY STORIES of the horrors and evils of computer games and the Internet. I’ve been a computer geek from way back and have been on the Internet since…well since before it was the Internet, and I know that most of/nearly all of the stories are CRAP. I do feel compelled though to talk to my kids about their MySpace pages and contacts, the various chat groups and such. We parents love our kids and will do anything to protect you, sometimes dumb, embarrassing things. Oh well. Be glad your parents cared enough to talk to you. Be gladder they listened.

Female characters are the best because they have great tits...

I don’t play tomb raider any more because her graphic tits are designed to stimulate my brains sex desire. It also makes me look differently at my wife whom i am loving so extra ordinarily.

So though the tomb raider chick is really hot and i like playing with her. i must give her up because I love another.

And now for a poem

Oh the smell of a woman’s flesh is nice

I would like more the view her breast

Though she loves me not one bit

I know she would if I had a big D$%k

Video games are addictive.

Lust is addictive

Put the two together and you get one addictive time consuming mess.

Demagogue

Yes it was my especially large desk that attracted my wife to me.

She loves some desk. I mean now she doesn’t care for it so much because she has been around it so long. its not so important in our relationship. My desk isn’t what is used to be.

I am the only one who uses my desk anymore. Oh, that I could get some one to look at my desk; To rub it with fine oils, to polish its surface, to repair the inlay. I have but little hope that the wooden casters will remain intact. You know casters size can help determine age and value of a desk.

America’s road show is great inspiration though.

That and bargain hunters

[quote name='OrbWeaver' post='79098' date='Aug 6 2006, 02:16 PM']Unless of course you are one of the minority of people who [i]doesn't[/i] find that lacing one's brain with toxins gives meaning to ilfe, in which case college is about being surrounded by mindless shrieking conformists while being told what a "great time" you are supposed to be having.[/quote]
Having fun is 'conformist'? You're supposed to have grown out of the emo-goth depressed teenager phase by college, dont'cha know.

Having fun is not conformist in itself, no. Equating "having fun" with "getting pissed" is conformist, almost by definition.

So it's wrong to enjoy things other people also enjoy? Every pleasure needs to be unique to qualify for you?

Getting pissed is a millenia old tried and tested way of having fun, and has contributed so much to our history and cultures.

So is masturbation, but that doesn't mean I want to listen to people yapping on about it 24/7 like students do about alcohol.

Fortunately, in the adult world people have a more diverse range of interests. I can't even remember the last time I heard someone at work talk about getting drunk.

Fortunately, in the adult world people have a more diverse range of interests. I can't even remember the last time I heard someone at work talk about getting drunk.

Contender for most patronising message 2006/07?

Last time I checked, you had to be an adult to drink, and bars up and down the country are absolutely heaving with adults every weekend. This mythological 'adult world' you occupy seems to exist on a different dimensional plane to the rest of us.

If you enjoy something, it's not conformist to do it; but if you don't enjoy it and you still do it, that is being conformist. And certainly some people drink despite not enjoying it all that much, especially college students. Of course there are college students who genuinely do enjoy drinking (that's where the peer pressure comes from).

There's nothing wrong with drinking for fun if you find it fun - well, that's not true at all, there's plenty wrong with it from a health perspective, but hey, it's your liver so do what you like :) - but some people don't find it fun and I think that needs to be respected.

Also, I think we're talking about two different things here. OrbWeaver is talking about getting drunk as a skunk and vomiting on the pavement and passing out in your dorm hallway and having people draw moustaches on you with texta. (Not that I'm speaking from a position of experience or anything...) There's a difference between that and responsible drinking.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Also, I think we're talking about two different things here. OrbWeaver is talking about getting drunk as a skunk and vomiting on the pavement and passing out in your dorm hallway and having people draw moustaches on you with texta. (Not that I'm speaking from a position of experience or anything...) There's a difference between that and responsible drinking.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The whole student binge-drinking "Woo! Woo! Woo! I'm so wacky! Let's get drunk!!! Woo! Woo!!! Look at me, I'm wearing a chicken suit!!! Woo! Drunk!! Woo!" crap.

Moderate, social drinking is another matter entirely. Hell, I even enjoy a glass of whisky myself occasionally in the privacy of my own home.

I learned somewhere that humans have six basic needs that break down into somewhat paradoxical pairs, one of which is the need to be accepted socially as part of a larger group paired with the need to be different and individualistic.

If that's true, then conforming for the sake of conforming may be legitimate, at least temporarily, until you are ready to be more individualistic.

For me (and probably most of us) there are some things that I am similar to many other people and I like it that way (such as liking pizza or liking Thief!), and then there are things that I always want to be different from everyone to make myself feel cool or whatever, such as my "sock code" I use to keep track of my pairs of socks in my dresser. (Then again there may be 1000 other people using the same sock code and I just don't know it)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I learned somewhere that humans have six basic needs that break down into somewhat paradoxical pairs, one of which is the need to be accepted socially as part of a larger group paired with the need to be different and individualistic.

That sounds fairly meaningless really, since (P or not-P) is always true.

That's very true! I'm 'different' insofar as I speak Welsh and campaign on Welsh language issues, but you can win a lot of prestige throughout Wales by winning some major awards at the national Eisteddfod.

(Then again there may be 1000 other people using the same sock code and I just don't know it)
Yo.

That sounds fairly meaningless really, since (P or not-P) is always true.

But the point is that you need both P AND ~P (not an OR), hence the seeming paradox

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Hmm, it still sounds a little on the vacuous side. It reminds me of some "psychological analysis" I read once that said that some group of people or another "may respect authority and obey the law, or alternatively they may be rebellious and get into trouble a lot". Yeah, no shit.

You obviously don't work at a restaurant.

It is a bit sad how people live their lives surrounded by one thing, but then again, that is why we are always taught to take things in moderation. As the head chef told me, he gets off work and goes bar hopping until 5 in the morning, wakes up at 10, goes to work, gets sober a bit later, doesn't feel sick anymore by 6 in the evening, and does it all over again.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't people who do otherwise and live productive, fulfilling lives.

Edited by Ombrenuit

• 2 months later...

This is an old thread, but I encountered an unusual situation in playing The Ship, the multiplayer Valve game. It's not a MMORPG, just a multiplayer game in small groups, and no character building, though there are RPG elements to it. The thing is, you get a randomly-assigned character with each "life" (it's a stealth murder game).

So, there are 3 races and 2 sexes and various ages that combine to make your character, and you have no control of it. So everyone ends up playing the opposite sex about half the time, and even though everyone knows this (or despite it), there are gender-specific epithets thrown around in the in-game chat (as well as occasional racial slurs, as the player models are either white, Indian, or black).

I never get confused about my own identity, but it's occasionally strange to get certain reactions from the other players who see me as whatever I happen to have been assigned.