The Dark Mod Forums

3 Fireplaces

gleeful

Very cool. Are any of these big enough to allow the player model to fit inside and crawl up a chute? If not, maybe some even bigger ones can be worked on to serve that 'secret passageway' purpose :) It looks like deeper fireplaces would be needed for that than what was shown here. (I haven't CVS'd the PK4 yet, but do look forward to trying.)

EDIT: Not sure if this looks interesting or not. To me it does, but I'm biased, since this was a fireplace in the old house I grew up in. Feel free to make or be inspired by it. There's a removable black cast iron mesh grill that fits in the arc to prevent sparks from flying out. If I remember correctly, there were L-shaped iron brackets bolted into the bricks underneath the platform and into the wall to provide support to the platform from underneath.

fireplace1.jpg

More fireplace inspirations that make my fireplace look sad. (Trying to save you from some Google searches. I probably posted too many here, but maybe this gives more inspirations) :)

grand_ballroom_fireplace.JPG

ambulatory2.jpg

John_and_W_inspect_fireplace_copy.jpg

Dsc00003.jpg

fireplace_after.jpg

http://www.dms-studios.com/fireplacesgrande.htm

http://www.george-macdonald.com/images/hun...0fireplace6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, something is messed up. When I import them the textures are all distorted, and they look like this:

fireplace.jpg

That's before doing anything to the folder structure. To me it looks like the texture isn't aligned properly to the uv map.

Hmm, something is messed up. When I import them the textures are all distorted, and they look like this:

fireplace.jpg

That's before doing anything to the folder structure. To me it looks like the texture isn't aligned properly to the uv map.

Hm, now that is very weird. :huh: I'll have a look at that.

EDIT: Yup, somethings messed up, which is puzzling as I always test the PK4s before putting them on the FTP server. Anyways I'll redo the export which is a good thing since I improved the brick texture since then.

Did you fix all three of them? They all showed up like that.

Yup.

It's a weird 3DS MAX thing: when baking textures from the model it "loses" the UV-map if you don't save it and then manually reload it. I never noticed before because its not my usual MO.

Do they have the same material names? They're just showing up as black in the editor now.

You've got the alpha build, right? You should be able to add them directly into the mod's folder structure--that way if it works on your system it should work on anyone's. And it would make it easier for me to see what's wrong if it didn't--I can rule out my own mistake in changing a material paths.

Do they have the same material names? They're just showing up as black in the editor now.

You've got the alpha build, right? You should be able to add them directly into the mod's folder structure--that way if it works on your system it should work on anyone's. And it would make it easier for me to see what's wrong if it didn't--I can rule out my own mistake in changing a material paths.

Yes, they have the same material names. Are they again not working? :o:angry:

Did you just put the PK4 into your Darkmod folder? I'm a bit confused by you description.

I did not try it on an alpha build though, since that would not work worth the Cvs (ie. I have a purebred Cvs build). I'm downloading the 003 release right now though.

I have a purebred Cvs build

Wait, I don't understand. You have a CVS build? If so, can't you just upload these to CVS?

Having them in a pk4 is fine, but then someone has to unpack it and put the files into the proper TDM folders. If you could do that in the beginning it's easier for whoever uploads it to CVS. :)

You have a CVS build? If so, can't you just upload these to CVS?

I wouldn't presume to put them there unapproved.

Having them in a pk4 is fine, but then someone has to unpack it and put the files into the proper TDM folders. If you could do that in the beginning it's easier for whoever uploads it to CVS. :)

Basically I'm doing it like that so that people can take a look at it hassle-free and then decide whether to include it or not AND where to put it AND what to call it (that's not always comprehensible for outsiders ;) ).

Sorry, Glee, that was my fault. I didn't quite understand what you were asking for. They look great, and by all means upload them to CVS. :)

In the future, the screenshots are enough to get approval to upload them. :)

Thank you and...errr...how exactly do you upload something to Cvs (never done that before). I use Tortoise.

There is a thread here but it's really easy with Tortoise so I can just walk you through it.

1. Place the files in their correct folders.
  2. Select a file (or several files) and right-click. Choose 'CVS Add'. Do this with all your new files. This will add your files to a list of files that is to be uploaded.
  3. Commit (upload) your changes by right-clicking a folder and choose 'CVS Commit'. Do this on a folder that contains all your added files, such as 'models' or even the dark mod root folder. That way, you don't have to commit several times.

Don't forget to run Putty in the background!