The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Mapper Application Thread

bob_arctor

Dram said in the "Necromancer's Tower thread :

"MUCH better smile.gif

I'd still change the globes to an opaque texture so that they look like a light source, but whatever.

As for beta mapper material, I'd say with your level of improvement you'd get better along the wway so I guess I'd say yes. That is of course providing that you keep trying to get better (hell, even me and Sneaksie do, I'm just trying to point out so that you don't get yourself comfortable at a certain level, always aim higher. But this is obvious I guess). Now it's just up to the rest of the team to consider it and say their vote too I guess.

But please, if you do get into a beta mapper position don't disappear like a lot have, it's just a waste of time that way.

Perhaps we should make an applicant thread? I guess that'd get things underway. Then we can tell you all the things that we'd expect from you blah blah blah (basically we need feedback on the tools smile.gif )"

Done and done. And I really don't think I'll disappear as at the moment I don't actually play any games. All I do is the net and mapping. Bored of games at the moment. Mapping's really quite addictive. With models and all improvement'll happen easily.

Are your tools really different? A whole new app? Is it more suited to TDM presumably (Light options, particles etc?)

Re: Globes: I tried it. It looked worse. With an editor that doesn't crash when I ask for particles I'd fill 'em with some kind of spark thing. Unfortunately D3ed doesn't like particles, at least on my PC.

Edit: Sorry for confusion. There were only speech marks to show the quote.

Edited by bob_arctor

Well it seems to me he's quoting Dram up until "Done and Done"... makes sense like that as well.

I hope to have some shots of my stuff up soon. I've had next to no time to spend on doomed lately so we shall see... you guys have had a lot of beta mappers go walkies then? I can understand the hesitation if that's the case...

It certainly is cause for some. It's lame when you sign someone up, get them set up with the tools, only then to have them decide they have other things more pressing and no time for TDM. Erm, that's okay, but then don't sign up? It just wastes our time, waiting, when there could be people out there who really are interested in doing things to help the mod. The program isn't supposed to be a quick way to get an old version of the kit. It's supposed to get people building, contributing, and giving valuable feedback.

Cool, now we can go through the procedure. He has my vote I guess, because he's improved very much within so little time, so the only thing I'm worried about is if he stays with us or not. We don't want more disappearing acts lol.

It's nice that he's improving, but even the most recent shots are nowhere near the quality we've been asking for. We want people who can demonstrate at least a little bit of experience with either dromed or D3 editing.

I guess we should give him a bit more time to improve then. If he's willing to try and improve then he'll definately stay on if we give him the tools, so I guess we'll let him do his own thing and get better and in about a month or two if he's still going at it and is even better we'll take him on?

Well whatever, I'm not a lead anyways

It's nice that he's improving, but even the most recent shots are nowhere near the quality we've been asking for. We want people who can demonstrate at least a little bit of experience with either dromed or D3 editing.

I think he has started with unrealistic expectations. Nobody would be at beta mapper quality after a couple of weeks of Radiant experience and 3 maps. Applicants should really be beyond the stage where they are asking how to change light textures.

No disrespect to Bob, I am sure after a month or two of improvement he will be at a more suitable level of experience.

No disrespect to Bob, I am sure after a month or two of improvement he will be at a more suitable level of experience.

That's what I am expecting, hopefully. So yeah I guess we should postpone his app for a month and see if he's still interested then, still going at it, and has gotten much better.

Cool :)

Please don't take it too harshly and all, we're not trying to be arseholes. If you need any help with mapping (don't know how to do something etc) then go ahead and ask here or you can just PM me if you want.

No worries. I can see the guys' points, I am new to it, and don't really have a very wide knowledge at the moment.

I've downloaded some video tutorials to improve my knowledge, but if I run into any problems I'll do that.

Anyway, I still enjoy using D3ed for mapping, making my own textures etc.