The Dark Mod Forums

Doomedit Woes

Mr Mike

Maybe, but a lot of people don't upgrade their PCs very often, so many will still have what they have right now. A good target is probably something like a GeForce 6800, since those will cost around $40 in two years.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Guys, I'm getting a few probs with textures on capped areas. Sometimes they look fine and work as expected, Other times they just look mush and, what ever i try, I cant improve them and usually end up rebuilding the patch from scratch... any ideas?

texture.jpg

Like that^^!

I'm assuming you're talking about the texture alignment? That can be a bitch for patches. Sometimes it's very easy and natural, other times, you struggle with it a long time and it still isn't quite right. Here's some of what I've learned over time.

First select just that face of the patch - select the patch and then tab around. Once on the right face, first try the surface inspector (s) possibilities - namely natural and fit. If those don't serve well, you might try cloning a texture from a co-planar (or as close as possible) brush. By this I mean, for your inward bevel in the arch, you might clone the texture right off the face of the building. Do that with middle click on the building face brush. That will make it assume the same orientation and scaling as the wall, which, since your bevel cut is not drastic, might work just fine with minimal distortion.

Other times, like with a full arch of 45 or 90 degrees, you're going to have trouble with that technique; some parts of it will align and look fine, and then the parts that are 45 or 90 degrees different will look stretched and distorted as hell. At that point, you can try using multiple patches, or someway, somehow adjust the patch properties (shift s) till you get something good. The latter method is not recommended if you value sanity. Frankly, I don't even know what the "S" and "T" fields are, but when the texture looks right, they're always some wacky numbers like -0.1743432 and 19.434442

:blink:

Good luck. And if you figure out the definitive Master Secret of Patch Texture Aligning, do tell the rest of us. :P

Try it with a thickened simple patch mesh, or a cylinder with end caps. Perhaps it's only on patches that "need" that function (due to texturing complexity), or on complex multi-part ones. Seems like a pretty dumb reason though. But it's definitely in regular old D3Ed; I use it all the time.

Yep, S and T are probably exactly that. I read about them in a tutorial some months ago, but haven't looked it back up. I usually just use the methods above to texture, and if numbers like 3.9801223123 are going to be needed, they're of little use anyway. There's that 'patch tower' tutorial that guy made on d3world.org, and even trying to duplicate his texturing by copying those numbers exactly didn't work, so I've not been too hung up on those values. Instead I ended up retexturing the tutorial end result, and getting what I consider a better result, because it's not just mirrored like his. Took me forever fiddling around with it though.

As oDDity once remarked, (something like) it's like trying to sculpt with a chainsaw and a sledgehammer. Yup, that's about it!

I had EXACTLY the same problem on the mansion I'm working on. I solved it by just cloning and chaning it around a bit. But what I suspect is happening for you there is the same effect that happens when you try and align a texture on one berush with another brush via middlemouse. Basically it seems to try and align it. This works fine in editor but BSP-ing rejoins surfaces that match with the texture (are aligned) and do not form an acute angle if joined together.

So what you can try (I have'nt confirmed this but it's a theory [have'nt been able to stuff up a patch again, never happens when you want it to]) is to disalign the texture very slightly. Try it out and tell me what it did, hopefully this is the solution to this annoying crap.

Unfortunately Dram, this problem is present both ingame and the editor so that solution isn't applicable. It's a neat trick though so I'll keep it in mind for future problems :)

I've had a play with the area today and I can get one side looking fine but the other side won't be right... duplicating, from scratch, you name it. Decided to knock that little idea on the head and build some simple columns instead. Was really only going for a fancy archway to experiment a bit with patches anyway.

I love the fact that no one mentions my neon glowing steps in the lower right! :D It's actually just a texture I use to help block out a room as I create. It isn't reactive to light yet shades on the degree of angle so is very easy to see what you're doing... a neat little trick I thought :)

I love the fact that no one mentions my neon glowing steps in the lower right! :D It's actually just a texture I use to help block out a room as I create. It isn't reactive to light yet shades on the degree of angle so is very easy to see what you're doing... a neat little trick I thought :)

I had noticed that and thought it was a great idea. :) Would you post the texture, I think it's something we should incorporate into our resources.

By the way, this is really great work. I'm going to move you into our application forum.

I had noticed that and thought it was a great idea. :) Would you post the texture, I think it's something we should incorporate into our resources.

Actually, it's a standard doom3 texture. Just use materials/shaderdemos/cubemap :) Kind'a found it by accident but it's prooving handy. The clean pak files seem to cause it to display oddly though and I've not looked into why that is so far.

I'm stoked you're considering me for application, this is the reason I'm doing this after all, and hopefully I'll have something a bit more substantial to show you soon B)

Mike

Don't know if what I said fell on deaf ears, but...

Woops, absolutely not Sneaksie. Infact I tried out the TAB method to cycle through the surfaces and it helped me fix a few niggling problems I had with another patch. Read your comments before work and forgot to reply, that's all :)