The Dark Mod Forums

Main Menu --progress Update

sparhawk

The Objectives one is basically done, just waiting to figure out how to enable it during the game. Napalm sent me this PM today about the main menus:

Some, but I've only put about 3 days work on it. I had work from last week to sunday non-stop so I wasn't really home to do anything. I'm all done now though so I can get back to it, I'll message you when I have something to show

drumple, sadly, seems to have vanished, so we're starting almost from scratch.

Well not from scratch, I have alot of code to work with. Yea objectives aughta to be implemented soon. I'm starting on Main Menus now. I was working 12-16 hour days so I wasn't exactly around to do stuff, but I'm OK again. Also the forum hasn't really been dead so much as we just used to texture forums for so long.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything left to do here? I could lend a hand if it's needed. Did you finish all the concepts or are they still wips? I remember doing some clockwork things but if you finished yours already I might as well scrap them. Would be nice to get this thing ingame sooner rather than later. Suppose we can always fine-tune things (graphics) down the road.

Yeah, I've already put together a graphics package for Napalm, so other than writing the actual GUI code there's not much left to do.

Well, that's not entirely true. We still didn't decide on an opening screen yet (AFAIK) and I never put together a finalized layout for the 'New Mission' menu either.

• 5 weeks later...

Nope, not dead. Napalm and I have been in contact:

As for menus, I only been putting in weekend time (only time I have) but they're coming along, if not as fast as I'de like at least along. I think I could get menus that had complete options, quit, credits, and load menus feasibly byt he end of october, maybe sooner, maybe I lil later depending on how much I have to work on weekends. The only thing that'll I'll need to do on menus after that date is new FM.

You mean the failure screen? Right now it's just using the default D3 text. I know Gil was working on an updated version but I don't know what its status is.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm now working on the failure screen, as I start learning Gui scripting. With Gil's help I've accomplished a few things--I've sped up the skull and fixed it so that it restarts every time the screen comes up (as opposed to the skull staying there after the first time).

I've also replaced the text with images, since the Carelton font is hard to read on that background. Right now I'm trying to work out the mouseover effect, where the text hilights as you put the mouse over it. Also, something I've done has caused the bell sound to replay over and over again--probably related to an 'ontime' command but I can't track it down yet.

I'm planning on reducing or eliminating the rotation of the skull, as well as experimenting with the 'swirly cloud' effect. I'll post an updated version this weekend. I've also done a bit of a redesign of the initial splash screen that I'll post then as well.

Ok, made some progress tonight.

Done:

Skull no longer rotates.

Text highlights with mouseover

background swirling effect added (may need tweaking--experiment with rotate command in shader)

Restart Mission and Main Menu buttons both work

To Do:

Stop bell sound from repeating

Modify sounds of buttons

Time the buttons so they appear one after another

Tweak pendulum timing on chains (check inertia settings)

Tweak highlight graphic

Strange. I have button sounds working when I test the GUI in the editor, but they don't work when running D3.

• 1 month later...

Great, thanks Napalm. I'm a little behind at the moment as I just got my new vid card running yesterday. I'll check it out shortly and let you know where we should go from here.

Ok, I tried running it with the pk4, but had no luck. The old menu just came up instead. I'll try copying the files manually and see what happens.

Sorry, I haven't had time to play with this...RL is interfering a lot at home right now so I'm mainly able to log on at work. I'll have a lot more time after Christmas though.

It was my understanding, however, that pk4 files were supposed to override mod files? Isn't that the whole point of them? Otherwise how would mappers make modifications to existing files without forcing everyone to modify them as well?

BTW, I'm working on some New Game concepts which I'll post in a few days. After that I think we can start working on the purchase screen, which might be the trickiest of them all.

My understanding is that pk4s are loaded in alphabetical order, so that zed.pk4 overrides alpha.pk4. (hence why the clean declaration packs start with ZZ) Also, any pk4s in the mod directory override any information from the base directory, and information stored directly in the mod directory overrides information stored in any pk4s. (with the exception of gamex86.dll)

Well, I was able to get it running. The graphics need some tweaking, but I'm happy with the functionality so far.

Were you ever able to figure out how drumple got a slider working?

Also, the Carelton font looks terrible in the option screens. I'm not sure why it looks so bad, but if we can't improve it we're going to have to use something else.

post-9-1166575309_thumb.jpg

I think maybe he means scrolldef since I have functioning sliderDef in the Menu. And yes the text in the options looks bad, I think it has to do with scaling but I'm not totally sure, it's certainly something that needs worked out. Either fix the scaleing so it looks good or do another bold copy of the font that wont look so choppy.