The Dark Mod Forums

Level Building In Max?

Merkin

Hey thanks for the quick replies. I will check out the exporters and see what they can do...

A friend and I would love to do a bit of extracurricular activity and being a Thief fan I reckon this would be the way to go. We don't have much time at the moment due to a pretty tight schedule at work but we should have a little more time in a month or two.

We'd like to do some character animations if you need them - we can use Biped or a custom rig, whatever's easiest for you and also model some environmental assets, cathedrals, buildings, etc and perhaps some smaller bits and pieces. It all comes down to time really - we could spit out the animation pretty quickly so that would probably be best at this stage but could also start designing larger buildings with a view to making them later on. What do you need the most?

You can check out our work at www.zerooneanimation.com

Cheers,

Brad

Animation is an area where we definitely need some more members. We've had too many animators sign up and then disappear, and there are a lot of animations that need to be done.

Thanks for the props Komag, glad you like the clip!

Springheel - I hate to say we can do something that we can't so I would like to help out as we can. I know this is a bit of a cop out but I'm trying to run an animation company and still find time for the rest of what life has to offer which leaves little time for things like sleep, relationships and gaming. Having said that, perhaps you could let us do the animation in small chunks, that way we don't overcommit ourselves and you still get something useful at the end of the day? Maybe one character at a time...?

That would certainly be usefull. The main problem is not so much the time, but that we get anything at all. As NH said, we had some very good animators on board, but they simply dissappeared without providing the stuff that they showed us. If you can make a few animations in your spare time it would definitely be welcome, but we would appreciate it if you keep us updated about it. :)

Gerhard

One animation at a time is fine--that's how we're operating right now anyway. I'm going to get you set up so you can see the animation forum and we can take it from there.

• 1 month later...
One animation at a time is fine--that's how we're operating right now anyway. I'm going to get you set up so you can see the animation forum and we can take it from there.

Hey Springheel,

I'm brand-spankin' new to the forum, and I noticed that you're looking for some animators. I have experience animating in 3D Studio Max, Poser, and a little in Bryce (but I don't think that counts). If I can help, I'd love to. It's not like I'm going anywhere for the next two years, so you'll have a low chance of me disappearing like your other animators (though world building and modeling and texture art are also something I'd love to try out).

I'll let you know up front, though... I'm very green. I have not experience in Mods or add-ons. I'm trying to get my feet wet so I can use a wet foot to get in the door of the industry. Thief is one of my favorite games of all time, so I can think of almost nowhere else I'd rather get started.

I've recently e-mailed the recruiting e-mail address about my being green and not necessarily wanting to request membership, but that's more based on my lack of experience in the world of Mod.

In essence, I'd like to help, if I can and in any way I can. I hate wasting my free time on frivelous activities that won't help me get into the industry.

Attrectare formositatem atque venustatem egeo.

~V

"I have your stapler! If you want it back, you'll do as I say." -- Random Ransom :ph34r:

We could certainly use an animator. :) Having none vs. a bad one, then the bad one is still prefereably. :) But being green doesn't neccessarily mean that you also need to be bad at it. :)

Can you show some of your work? Or Spring could assing one to you and you show what you make of it.

Gerhard

We're definitely interested in people who have some basic knowledge and are willing to muck around and figure things out on their own. Lots of people on the team are now doing things for the mod that they had no idea how to do when they joined (myself included). If you've already sent an email to NH I'll wait for him to set up a thread for you and we can take it from there.

We could certainly use an animator. :) Having none vs. a bad one, then the bad one is still prefereably. :) But being green doesn't neccessarily mean that you also need to be bad at it. :)

Can you show some of your work? Or Spring could assing one to you and you show what you make of it.

I don't really have much that I think would be worthy of showing you guys. I've got one or two (not including the animated stapler), but I'm stuck on dial-up for a while longer (if not forever). I presently reside in the Bermuda Triangle of Broadband... grr... Otherwise I'd show you this shoringin ryu catta that I animated in character studio. I've also got a scorpion man that I did the same with, but none of them had skins on.

Quick question. Do you typically already have the bone system ready or do you need me to do rigging as well? See, I'm not completely green. :)

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you guys. I'm in the crux of finals at school. I'll have a week and a half off after this coming Sunday, though. I'll want to dive in during that time (if not before).

Until then,

Attrectare formositatem atque venustatem egeo.

~V

"I have your soda! If you ever want to see it again, you'll do as I say." -- Random Ransom :ph34r:

We're definitely interested in people who have some basic knowledge and are willing to muck around and figure things out on their own. Lots of people on the team are now doing things for the mod that they had no idea how to do when they joined (myself included). If you've already sent an email to NH I'll wait for him to set up a thread for you and we can take it from there.

And that's one of the reasons why I'd love to even dabble in what you guys are doing. Great concept, great opportunity, what more could I ask for?

So has the thread already been set up? I'm just getting around to checking my e-mail for the last week and trying to catch up here. I guess I'll probably already have figured that out by the time you answer... so pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. :wacko:

In the end, I'd love to contribute. Anything and everything I could do would be a great learning opportunity for me, I'm sure. If nothing else, I'll get used to working in the engine and such. I'm feeling very optimistic.

~V

"I have your pencil! If you ever want to see it again, you'll do as I say." -- Random Ransom :ph34r:

Your first hurdle will be getting stuff to work in the game and learning the workflow.

Second it'll be dealing with peoples feedback on the animation quality. Rough them up first, dont' go into any sort of detail. First you want to get feedback on the way the action is actuall performed, not how realistic it looks.

Quick question. Do you typically already have the bone system ready or do you need me to do rigging as well? See, I'm not completely green.

All our (human) AI will be using the same skeleton so that we can easily swap animations between characters. That skeleton is already set up.

Your first hurdle will be getting stuff to work in the game and learning the workflow.

Second it'll be dealing with peoples feedback on the animation quality. Rough them up first, dont' go into any sort of detail. First you want to get feedback on the way the action is actuall performed, not how realistic it looks.

Oh, I'm pretty good at taking feedback on my work. I won't get pissed off at someone because they didn't like the way my animation looked in some way or other. I'm probably my own worst critic anyway. Even if everyone loves the animation or whatever that I did, I'll probably have issues with it. Always something to improve on. :P

I wish I could upload the martial arts animation I did. Nothing too special, but it was a lot of work to get the actions right. And, yes, I still have things I could improve on it.

Yeah, the workflow and getting used to the quirks about the D3 environment will be what I spend a lot of time on, I'm sure. I'm up for the task though.