The Dark Mod Forums

Feedback Wanted

greebo

Angua played around a bit with this option and found that the light_center values in DoomEdit are measured relatively to the center of the light volume. What we don't know is, if the values are being translated in the background by DoomEdit, where they could be saved as world coordinates. We can do some more fiddling with this to find out. Thanks though for adding the property!

If you open up the .MAP file in Notepad you can see what coordinates are saved. I would suspect that the light_center is indeed in light space, it's just a bug in DarkRadiant that the point representing the centre is placed in world space.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New screenies... we chose an octagonal room in the Bonehoard level, but this time we took ourselves a tad more "artistic freedom".

shot1origth6.th.jpg shot1dmgm7.th.jpg

shot2origqz5.th.jpg shot2dmcp5.th.jpg

shot3origdc3.th.jpg shot3dmbq6.th.jpg

shot4origui8.th.jpg shot4dmij4.th.jpg

All the models and textures are custom (except for the little low-poly skull on the floor, which is a bit rough).

@OrbWeaver: yes, you're right, it seems to be a bug in DarkRadiant. The light_center value can be set in relative coordinates and the game is rendering it correctly, but the little green point is completely off track.

I added the light_center as a recognised property, so it can be edited as a simple vector3 (not yet committed to SVN though). It appears though that dragging the centre like in D3Ed is not possible, and it also seems to be using world coordinates which is a bit strange (unless D3Ed does this as well and I never noticed). I would expect that a centre of <0, 0, 0> would be at the geometric centre of the light, not at the world origin.

DarkRadiant uses the same child windows as D3Edit, which you position where you wish. I have mine set up exactly the same as D3Edit.

Oh WTF? You serious? Gah I thought they would stay where they were. I guess I should give it another shot then

I must say I agree with Mr Mike. New stuff would show off the engine better, and I don't believe you can better Thief Gold anyway, it's so close to perfection.

The only thing I think would be worth it would be to look at Songs of the Caverns, screenshot certain details, and make your own opera house, but with nods back to TG.

@OrbWeaver: yes, you're right, it seems to be a bug in DarkRadiant. The light_center value can be set in relative coordinates and the game is rendering it correctly, but the little green point is completely off track.

It would probably affect the rendering in DarkRadiant preview mode as well.

Oh WTF? You serious? Gah I thought they would stay where they were. I guess I should give it another shot then

All windows can be dragged or resized, they are just normal windows. Are you sure you don't have DarkRadiant set up in split-pane (Q3Ed-style) mode? I thought I set the Doom 3 child-window mode as the default.

I thought I set the Doom 3 child-window mode as the default.

It is, at least for me.

Actually I found it a bit annoying so I changed it to the fixed style that T3Ed and 3ds max use. :) Thank goodness for preferences.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Actually I found it a bit annoying so I changed it to the fixed style that T3Ed and 3ds max use. :) Thank goodness for preferences.

Bear in mind I am not actively maintaining the other view styles - although they will remain available, there is a chance that any new UI widgets won't look right in them. In particular, to add a Doom 3-style media browser requires the group dialog window to be available, which won't be the case in splitpane mode.

Can't you just have some windows floating? Just fix the viewport windows down and let everything else be detached, as per normal.

I don't know how the code is organised but from a UI point of view that would seem to be the best compromise.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

...so why does that mean that split-pane mode can't support a Doom 3 style media browser?

It doesn't, it just requires extra work to maintain two separate UI paths for the same component, particularly where sizing and packing is concerned. This is something I would prefer not to do, but if people like the splitpane view I guess it will be necessary to support it.

Ah, I see. Well, I definitely think that the alternate views should continue to be supported - can't be that much more work. Heck, I'd be happy to contribute patches for that myself. :)

New screenies!

shot5xn7.th.jpg shot6rg7.th.jpg shot7ww8.th.jpg

shot8lw2.th.jpg shot9rh0.th.jpg

We've expanded our little bonehoard with a corridor and a room with 2 graves, which is not in the classic map. Not much new, just a few textures have been added, the rest was tweaking and lighting. Any suggestions for improvement? We plan to make our own custom bonehoard starting from this room, still inspired by the classic level, but taking more and more "artistic freedom".

Are you planning on finaly creating the Alarus Extention, complete with bow-upgrade? :D

rofl, yeah, I already thought about it... imagine, all the hopes and dreams finally become reality! Oh dear, I've got it all on my hands, should I spoil it completely...? :D