The Dark Mod Forums

New Robot Voice And Schema

Fidcal

Fair enough. Be interesting to hear what the Dark Mod robots will sound like. Thinking back, guess the Karras ones were meant to be sequences of mechanical recordings of a human voice.

I believe it was appropriate for the setting. They would develop the technology of recording before they could generate computer sounds. No offense, but I can't stand "robot voices" because I doubt anyone would make robots with those voices simply because they are so irritating (worse than fingernails on a chalk board).

The problem with these robots is you (although it seems so) have no taken into account the setting. Why do robots blither off ramblings? After all, this has to serve a purpose. Karas's robots spouted off his ideologic preachings, they wandered around their set paths doing their work and marrily repeating scripture (as Karas and I'm sure the Builders wished everyone to do). They also spoke "I hear something" or "Visual confirmation...etc." for the purpose of alerting guards in the area that there may be an intruder, who would do a better job at finding them then a robot would. It's a secondary system built into all robots as they were supposed to also assist as extra security.

You must take into account why your robots are speaking. What purpose does that serve?

Edited by Ombrenuit

Karas robots didn't sound like the stereotypic robot, because they did not have any robotic voices. As I understood it, it was prerecorded phrases which were in the scope of the technology Thus they didn't need to invent artificial voices, because they just used the technology at hand.

Gerhard

You must take into account why your robots are speaking. What purpose does that serve?
Good point. Now you draw my attention to it I guess I just jumped for the robotic stereotype when I made the voice. I was happy in my ignorance but now I'm even wondering whether to keep the damn thing in my own mission. But then, even though it may not fit the pure Thief 2 world, and therefore the Dark Mod 'world' which is based on it, both T2 and TDM can be (and with T2 are) used to build all kinds of fan missions that deviate from the norm. Again, one can argue, what place do robots or even electrics have in a medieval/Victorian setting? It's a fantasy. So although not suitable for the main missions or 'pure' fan missions, it will still be acceptable to many to deviate from the standard setting in their own FMs. Be a shame if it were not so. So I'll probably keep it in mine. Certainly, the robot itself adds interest to the gameplay and a Karras-robot type voice made less sense with this humanoid robot to me. I'd prefer no voice to a Karras-type. Mmmm... not too late to make a non-robot difficulty level I guess to stop purist's groaning... :rolleyes:

Personally I always liked the robots. Some don't, but this is just a matter of personal preference. I also always liked T2 much more then T1. I think wether you can or can not use these kind of voices, strongly depends on how well you integrate it into the gameworld. The original voice themes fitted quite well and were believiable within that environment. The quesiton is if you can do the same with these voices, which is mostly a challenge to your creativity.

Gerhard

The Karras robot voices were genius. They scared the hell out of me in the bank cellar. The first time I played T2 I didn't pick up on the fact water arrows killed bots, so I avoided them as fire arrows were scarse.

I must say that I like your robot voices Fidcal, they remind me of the 60s Cybermen voices, back when the cybermen were good and actually scary.

http://www.kasterborus.com/tardis/baddies/cybermen/tomb1.jpg

Those guys.

Yep that was the beauty of it, IMO. Karras recorded his own voice, and then his children spoke broken sentences of it back. It was friggin' brilliant, if you ask me.

Yes, it was brilliant, the voices of the Tanks were great, all that clanking and buzzing of gears followed by the droning, "canned" voice of karras coming from his "children". A room full of that noise was so damned unsettling. the repetitious nature of the recordings made them all the more convincing, a room full of mechanical zealots mumbling the Masters wisdom as they tramped around on their patrols.

"A human child is loathesome and ill-tempered....."

Classic!