The Dark Mod Forums

Any Chances Of The This With The Darkmod....?

Arumakani

Ooh. That's interesting!

I doubt if the Dark Mod would be portable to it though.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Sounds like a good idea, Spar.

It has to be said that the potential for FPSs has hardly been scratched, I think. More than any other genre I think it could really use some imagination and people taking it in new directions, especially in weening it off of mindless shooting as the main M.O.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

My genre of choice is Adventure games with light roleplaying elements like Shenmue and Zelda. Stealth is probably second equal with RPG's. FPS aren't my cup of tea, except for Halo. Deus Ex is an exception too, though that was more like a FP RPG in many aspects.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

It has to be said that the potential for FPSs has hardly been scratched, I think. More than any other genre I think it could really use some imagination and people taking it in new directions, especially in weening it off of mindless shooting as the main M.O.

Very true. While I like the adrenaline rush click-fests like Starcraft can produce, there is much unused potential in the genre. I remember a RTS-ish game where you controlled a small team (sniper, spy, green beret,...) and your objective was to infiltrate some nazi camps. The AI had sight cones sweeping, and detection of one team member usually resulted in instant failure of the mission. That was more puzzle play than RTS though, but I enjoyed the fresh take on the genre.

Back in the day when I messed with QBasic (yay!), I wrote something RTS-ish which was a crossbreed between Lemmings and, uhm, Dune 2. Basically you could set up command chains on your critters in real time, and your objective was to gain and hold parts of the opponent's area. I didn't know how to code null-modem support in QBasic though, and writing an AI was a little too much for me then, so it never saw the light of the day. :/

EDIT: Hahaha, and the whole time I mixed up RTS and FPS. Sorry about that.

Well, to be fair, most genres have a problem with mindless shooting fests and could use a little more imagination.

Also, it's not always clear what "strategic" means in the FPS context (so when you see the word, it's maybe forgiveable to misunderstand what's going on). Deus Ex claimed to allow players "strategic" choices in going through a scene, but I got the feeling by this they meant there was some flexibility between which weapon you'd rely on, big and loud or small and silent, or sometimes you could find a back way in or sneak through, or some areas had some "puzzle" to them to cross, etc, but IMO these really aren't so much "strategic" decisions as the word is used in most other game contexts like RTS, planning ahead and countering AI/other player strategies, and really making hard, on-the-fly cost/benefit sorts of decisions. This is another way that the potential in FPSs has barely been scratched, I think (mostly because of lackluster AI and again a failure of imagination).

Edited by demagogue

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Yeah, the same is true for many genres. When I first played DeusEx I thought "Finaly, the next step in evolution for the first person genre. Why has it taken so long?". Same goes for Thief before that. After a few years, I became very disappointed with the lack of change.

Ok, some blasphemy from me here: If by some great spacetime-hickup LG banded together again, I wouldn't want them to make another Thief game. I love stealth gameplay, and Thief will always have a special place in my heart. But Hitman and Splinter Cell for example left me bored - they didn't offer anything that the Thief games didn't have. I would want something new - the First Person Socializer or something.

Oh, on that note: The most interesting game concept I heard in a while is from a game called "Star Attorney" or something "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney", in which you take the role of a lawyer and fight some surreal cases. Reviews make it look like imense fun, but the conecpt alone sounds like a giant bore on paper.

Schatten, I think you were talking about Commandos. Very good game, though could be anally difficult.

If you like planning ahead etc as you say, have you tried some of the Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six games? Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, the latest one, allows you to do a lot of planning ahead etc.

I know what you mean with Hitman and SC. I loved the first SC, and played both of the other 2, but found them too samey.

Edited by Arumakani

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

Very true. While I like the adrenaline rush click-fests like Starcraft can produce, there is much unused potential in the genre. I remember a RTS-ish game where you controlled a small team (sniper, spy, green beret,...) and your objective was to infiltrate some nazi camps. The AI had sight cones sweeping, and detection of one team member usually resulted in instant failure of the mission. That was more puzzle play than RTS though, but I enjoyed the fresh take on the genre.

Do you mean "Commandos"? But only the fourht part was FPS. All the others were with a top down view.

Gerhard

Also, it's not always clear what "strategic" means in the FPS context (so when you see the word, it's maybe forgiveable to misunderstand what's going on).

Yeah. That's why I don't really like that term, because I know that most people will think more in the direction of "Operation Flashpoint" or similar.

Gerhard