The Dark Mod Forums

3ds Max 45 Or Blender 2.42

Unskilledlaborer

I was wondering what you all think.

What is better if I where to chose one over the other

((((Knowing first that I am interested in 3d for no more than personal entertainment. So the quality of the models and animations and STUFF would be what I care about rather than” learning some industry standard”)))

3ds max 5

OR the most current version of

BLENDER 2.42

What PROGRAM is best at the specified version above?

The reason I ask is because I have one of each and am curios if 3ds max 5 was better than blender 2.42

Max 5 is pretty outdated now, while Blender 2.42 is the latest version. I don't know how they compare in terms of features, but I always recommend using open-source software (Blender) over a presumably pirated copy of a proprietary application.

The only comments I can make are:

-Years and years ago I tried 3DSMax R3. It was the most convoluted confusing unintuitive thing I'd ever seen (but to be fair, I was a lot younger and a lot less experienced with computers). To the point where it seemed like they purposely designed it backwards, or to go against Windows standards (which I assume is quite possible).

-I've recently come to adore Blender. The only thing I've been wanting for is (and I'm really, really hoping OrbWeaver will say, "oh that exists, to use it you simply..." :)) a mouse-down type of realtime smoothing tool, for example, the way you can use the cursor to 'paint' smoothing (or plateaus) onto Morrowind terrain mesh.

Ironically, the Blender interface is very non-windows-standard.

I have been using blender for a few months. so I am pretty ok with the interface. 3d max5 seems to have an ok interface but need its of tutorials before I could do anything (like make an apple)

I was really wondering if the features of each program would set one above the other in your opinions.

What I have seen is that 3d max sights have really great images and lots of them. and blender has some great and some average and not that many images.

Is it a fact that blender just has a smaller community. Or that 3d max is a better program

Can someone tell me what they think it is COMMUNITY OR PROGRAM when you compare blender ART galleries and 3ds max art galleries you don’t get similar results.

Look at this thing I found. The guy used an Athlon 1.4 and 3ds max . I assume it was a MAX version 6 or less becouse of his system's stats.

http://www.this-wonderful-life.com/twl.htm#

Does the blender community have stuff like that if so where do I find it?. And is this the fault of the program or the artist in the two communities…?

What do you all think.

Orange, the open movie project, kind of pushed a lot of new features in Blender. Better hair, bones, animation, etc. are features in the lastest Blender that was the result of this movie project. I didn't know the movie was released recently ("Elephants Dream"):

http://orange.blender.org/

I'll have to download & watch it :)

-I've recently come to adore Blender. The only thing I've been wanting for is (and I'm really, really hoping OrbWeaver will say, "oh that exists, to use it you simply..." :)) a mouse-down type of realtime smoothing tool, for example, the way you can use the cursor to 'paint' smoothing (or plateaus) onto Morrowind terrain mesh.

It's called B-Brush, and it's available in the latest release. It is accessed through a script, which makes it a bit hard to find (and unfortunately for me is not working at all at present), but you can try going into mesh edit mode with TAB, select Mesh->Scripts->B-Brush from the viewport menu, then going to the View->"Space handler scripts" menu and activating the new script which appears there.

This should put you into a special mode where you can sculpt with LMB on the active mesh, but for me it is doing precisely nothing (although I have used it in the past, probably a configuration issue).

EDIT: Just tried using 2.41 and it works fine, it just has problems in 2.42. Sigh, another Blender minor update breaking scripts.

I wonder where is a good place to view other people’s work. I find all sorts of really great stuff for 3ds max but not so much for BLENDER. Why in you alls opinion is that.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/

Blender has a smaller community than MAX, so obviously the range of finished artwork is likely to be more limited. It is still an exceedingly capable program however.

Edit2: Orb, it seems to work in 2.42a, maybe you need that one.

That may very well be the case, from the 2.42 announcement:

Linux version had to be recompiled with Python 10.4.3, so it works with the latest python installs people have.