The Dark Mod Forums

The New Info On The Front Page...

Arumakani

Is that one yours, SD? I couldn't remember, so I put it in the betamapper section.

You guys are seriously good. I love the new outdoor stuff by Squill. Maybe my dream of one huge city to explore will come about. I should be decent with Unreal ED in a few months. I'll put some stuff up and see whether I can help out.

Please put some of your new stuff up Sneaksie !!!

Edited by Arumakani

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

Yes, I like the city street in particular, too. It's exciting to think that these are just showing what's possible, and that things can only look better from here.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Whee! Fire Elementals almost done. My favorites! As long as those are in I'll be happy with whatever you guys release. Sounds good, scaling things back to something manageable. My first thought would be to concentrate exclusively on the technology and drop work on the assets. Let the community take that up. But it occurs to me that the people who are working on assets may not necessarily be able to work on technology, so use them while you have them. But yeah, I'd like to see something released sooner rather than later. I think it should be tech-complete though to give modders a unified framework to work under. I'd hate to see a zillion different incomplete versions propogate. I don't want to play versions where, e.g., the head bob is different, the speed is different, height of the player is different, the way blackjacking works is different. The AI should act consistently too. So don't release it before all that is done. But after that I'd say get it out there and add assets via updates as you suggest.

You might want to reach out and ask for somebody to manage community-contributed assets at some point after release. So we don't end up with huge individual missions containing all the same textures and models. A typical mission could say it requires at least the Dark Mod Asset Package v. 3.0. Someone could be responsible for maintaining an "official" asset package, making sure future versions are always backward compatible, etc.

Edited by Ratty

You guys are seriously good. I love the new outdoor stuff by Squill. Maybe my dream of one huge city to explore will come about. I should be decent with Unreal ED in a few months. I'll put some stuff up and see whether I can help out.

Please put some of your new stuff up Sneaksie !!!

Hey Arumakani, Unreal ED is completely different from Doom3ED, one is additive and the other is subtractive - Unreal editing consists of carving out the level with the brush tool, while Doom 3 consists of adding brushes like walls etc. This means that a veteran of Unreal ED will have a hard time adjusting at first etc.

Just trying to warn you so you don't spend too much time on Unreal ED if you were planning to map for TDM.

• 1 month later...