The Dark Mod Forums

The1wayman Application Thread [closed]

The1wayman

Guys i don´t know if you remember me i´m the one that gave a bunch of models in this thread models, i have know time to work in a mod and the one that i loved to work is this one, my modeling skills have improved since i gave that pack to you guys but if you want to give me some sample work just to test my skills you can, i´m not a realy good organic modeler and my texturing skills are a litle green but i will try to do my best to please you guys. I already worked with normalmaping so i will be able to do them. So shout if you need something. :)

Hilário Martins

Sample of some non gaming work:

Room_GI_lighting_test

Render_bike_wheels

Scene_render

martelorendernc1.th.png

Nice models. Will probably take you some time before you learn enough about the Doom 3 workflow to get something useable into the game, so be prepared for that.

No problem i already imported models to the doom3 engine i even made a litle map to put the models but i never intended to be a mapper so i never used much the editor. I Can give you guys the models in ASE format and the Material ready to import to game.

No problem i already imported models to the doom3 engine i even made a litle map to put the models but i never intended to be a mapper so i never used much the editor. I Can give you guys the models in ASE format and the Material ready to import to game.

That would be very helpful :) Thanks

Are you applying to join as a team-member or just offering some models? If the former, you need to contact New Horizon. If the latter, how about the following:

a metal brazier--something like this: http://www.buchananeurope.com/images/ebay/dd-600-brazier.jpg

Are you applying to join as a team-member or just offering some models? If the former, you need to contact New Horizon. If the latter, how about the following:

a metal brazier--something like this: http://www.buchananeurope.com/images/ebay/dd-600-brazier.jpg

What i gain(not talking about money) if i join as a team-member? :), if nothing them i´m just offering my services. About the model that easy B) do you want a simple rusted look or a brazier full of ornements and gold( for the rich houses).

Both would be fine. They can be changed with a skin. Also if this is to easy :) , you might also consider to do a broken, tarnished one for ruins and the like. One that is broken apart, dented and dirty.

Ok i will do many variations of braziers them i will show you guys a wip so you guys can give critics and choose the one you like.

Here is the first Wip.

brazierwipca1.th.jpg

What i gain(not talking about money) if i join as a team-member?

Well, you'd get access to all the internal forums, so you would have a much better idea of what's going on and what models we need. Not to mention access to the mod itself. It would make it easier for me to assign projects for you as well.

Here is the first Wip.

Looks great for the high-poly version. I don't know if you're familiar with the workflow for D3, but first you make a high-poly version which is used to create a normal-map, then you make a low-poly version (for something like this, probably 500 or less). The normal-map supplies all the details.

Don't worry too much about making great textures for the model, I can always go over and improve them later.

Well, you'd get access to all the internal forums, so you would have a much better idea of what's going on and what models we need. Not to mention access to the mod itself. It would make it easier for me to assign projects for you as well.

Looks great for the high-poly version. I don't know if you're familiar with the workflow for D3, but first you make a high-poly version which is used to create a normal-map, then you make a low-poly version (for something like this, probably 500 or less). The normal-map supplies all the details.

Don't worry too much about making great textures for the model, I can always go over and improve them later.

Ok them i would love to be part of the team :) .

About the workflow i did first the low poly and them i started to add more details to make the highpoly version.

I´m trying to make the normal map from it by i just can´t seam to make a clean one, i´m using the NormalMapperUI from ATI, i never used it befor all the normal maps i did were made with photoshop, can you guys give me some advise. :blush:

Edited by The1wayman

D3 will actually create a normalmap for you using the high-poly model. I'm pretty sure there are instructions for that on our wiki page.

D3 will actually create a normalmap for you using the high-poly model. I'm pretty sure there are instructions for that on our wiki page.

Guys sorry for the delay in posting my progress i was a litle busy and couln´t work in the model nor post in this forum. Making the normal map for the brazier with the ATI normalmaper tool was no go, so i decided to make it by hand, here is a wings3d render with the normalmp, if it is good to you guys i can them send you the model.

Brazier_render

p.s - Springheel the wiki page only talks about making normal maps for flat surfaces using the renderbumpflat utility that i found realy usefull but i didn´t saw anything about making normal maps for game models from a highpoly version, but this is realy new terrain to me, so is no surprise that my first normal maps using this are bad i will need more time to perfect my skills. :)

Lookin' good. :) How many polys is that, out of interest?

I think the specular is a little bit high (makes it look like plastic); might want to try turning that down. It's very easy to apply too much specular.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yes, the specular definitely needs to be turned down. The normalmap looks ok though--how many polys is that?

Yes, the specular definitely needs to be turned down. The normalmap looks ok though--how many polys is that?

Hello guys here is a new image of the model with less specular and even less polys in the image above the polys were 2900, :rolleyes: i´m used to make models only for rendering so i didn´t saw that the model had to much polys, in the new it rest at 1030 polys, if it is still to many i will try to take more but that will sacrifice a litle the roundness of the model and trash the uvw.

brazierwc4.th.png

Looking better. 1000 polys is still too high for a simple prop though--especially a lightsource where there will probably be several placed in a single room. Don't worry about sacrificing some roundness--since it will generally have a flame in it, people won't see much of the detail anyway. If you can get it down to 500 polys or less, that would be great.

Looking better. 1000 polys is still too high for a simple prop though--especially a lightsource where there will probably be several placed in a single room. Don't worry about sacrificing some roundness--since it will generally have a flame in it, people won't see much of the detail anyway. If you can get it down to 500 polys or less, that would be great.

Ok Springheel i will try to reach that barrier, i worked a litle more on the model and it is now at 800 polys but i see that i have more room to take more out, i´m taking polys fixing the UVW at the same time and trying not to trash the normal map. :wacko:

I will not post more this night so cheers guys.

Finaly a think is finishid :), it have now 600 polys and i made a new uvw and normal map here is a render for you guys to see.

brazierfinaldv6.th.png

Hope you like it. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Finaly a think is finishid , it have now 600 polys and i made a new uvw and normal map here is a render for you guys to see.

I think I missed your edit here...when you edit a post the forum doesn't inform people that there has been any activity.

It looks good, and I think 600 polys is probably fine. I don't mind working on the textures. What's the best way to get the files from you?

• 2 weeks later...