The Dark Mod Forums

AluminumHaste Application Thread

AluminumHaste

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the flashbomb should create a temporary AI state-- "blinded" so that we can play specific animations/behaviour during that time.

You will have to make sure it only affects AI who have the impact point in their FOV, however. Likewise, if the impact point is in the player's FOV, they should have a modified vision effect (like the power-up effects of D3) where the screen goes white.

Yes, the flashbomb should create a temporary AI state-- "blinded" so that we can play specific animations/behaviour during that time.

You will have to make sure it only affects AI who have the impact point in their FOV, however. Likewise, if the impact point is in the player's FOV, they should have a modified vision effect (like the power-up effects of D3) where the screen goes white.

Not only in the field of view, but a distance check to find the distance to AI/Player to scale the effect of the blinding. Being a 100 feet away from a flash bomb will affect you differently than being within 5 feet etc.

But guys, do I need your source or should I just go with the flash bomb and can't this stuff be done with scripts??

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I think the first version, would be enough to have the flashbomb at all. Create the flashbomb and make it usable without any effects. And if that works, you can add the AI state to it. For the flashbomb I think you wont really need the mod right now.

NH, can you set him up as a contributor?

Gerhard

I think the first version, would be enough to have the flashbomb at all. Create the flashbomb and make it usable without any effects. And if that works, you can add the AI state to it. For the flashbomb I think you wont really need the mod right now.

NH, can you set him up as a contributor?

Will do.

I have a problem; I only have Visual Studio 2005, and I can't compile any of the code because there are a bunch of errors and deprecation warnings.

What dev environment did ID use for Doom 3?? VS.NET??

EDIT: Whoops, I meant to say that I had 2005 not 2003 :)

I have a problem; I only have Visual Studio 2005, and I can't compile any of the code because there are a bunch of errors and deprecation warnings.

I dunno about the errors, but most of Visual Studio's deprecation warnings can be completely ignored. Many of the "deprecated" string functions it likes to complain about are only deprecated according to Microsoft; everyone else disagrees. :)

Well, to be fair that's not quite true: Many of them are indeed potentially dangerous functions (they potentially allow buffer overflow). But the way that Microsoft has gone about it is non-standard. If you fix those warnings in the manner that they tell you to, then your code immediately becomes non-portable and will only work using Microsoft's compiler.

So, yeah, if it complains about string functions being "deprecated" just ignore it. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Fixing it the MS way is not an option though, because the code should also compile on Linux.

Yes, exactly, that's what I'm saying. MS's suggested "fixes" are not portable, and therefore should be avoided like the plague. The warnings should be ignored.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Typical Microsoft, assuming that you should use their own proprietary crap instead of standard functions.

Deprecating char* in favour of std::string is fair enough, but I'll bet they try to make you use CString or something.

He's not making animations, so that doesn't seem like an appropriate task.

D3 already supports multiple kinds of attack animations, but until we have a discussion about what we want to do with combat, there's not much point in messing around with it.

Frankly, if we had to release TDM1.0 with combat working they way it currently does I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Ah that's what it was - damage. The attack anims may be different, but the melee damage a player weapon does is fixed - each weapon can only have one melee damage associated with it. That's why I couldn't program a powerup attack with the sword when I was scripting the weapons.

Ah that's what it was - damage. The attack anims may be different, but the melee damage a player weapon does is fixed - each weapon can only have one melee damage associated with it. That's why I couldn't program a powerup attack with the sword when I was scripting the weapons.

But doom3's weapons already have something like that don't they?? The BFG "powers up" the longer you hold the fire button. Same thing with the grenades but that is with throwing power (Swinging power of the sword??) not the damage.

The damage is just a number that can be added/multiplied/divided etc. to, so I'm not sure where the problem lies. A quick side attack could have the same damage as a quick downstroke attack, but the only one that is different is the power attack, which could use a different type of amunition (dumb way to go about it I know, but I just started looking at this stuff a few days ago)

EDIT: Just thought of something, it's all one attack, just depends on how long you hold the button down to fire the sword lol.

TimeHeld * BaseDamage (up to a max damage), if TimeHeld > 1500 then execute the overhead swing animations and multiply the basedamage by whatever. else do the min damage and play the side animation.

But the BFG is not a melle weapon. ;)

BTW: When you start coding, then always keep in mind that we have to tweak it later. This means that it is a good practice, to do NOT hardcode values directly in the code, but put them in a cvar which is queried when you actually use it. This way we can finetune the code without needing to recompile everytime.

In your example the TimeHeld and TimeHeldMax (1500) and the BaseDamage are prime candidates for such cvars. Not that we really should use that particular formula, just to llustrate what I mean.

Gerhard

But doom3's weapons already have something like that don't they?? The BFG "powers up" the longer you hold the fire button. Same thing with the grenades but that is with throwing power (Swinging power of the sword??) not the damage.

The damage is just a number that can be added/multiplied/divided etc. to, so I'm not sure where the problem lies. A quick side attack could have the same damage as a quick downstroke attack, but the only one that is different is the power attack, which could use a different type of amunition (dumb way to go about it I know, but I just started looking at this stuff a few days ago)

EDIT: Just thought of something, it's all one attack, just depends on how long you hold the button down to fire the sword lol.

TimeHeld * BaseDamage (up to a max damage), if TimeHeld > 1500 then execute the overhead swing animations and multiply the basedamage by whatever. else do the min damage and play the side animation.

Yeah it's not that simple :) My arrows also power up the longer you hold the button, and the launch velocity is different. This is because idProjectile is allowed to take on those kinds of paramaters on launch time.

Unfortunatley, when you define a melee damage entity, that's it. You can't pass it any variables, and there is only one allowed per weapon. So you can't even make the damage more powerful for an overhead swing!

I was talking to Brian (of id Software) about this, and he said you would definetly have to modify the SDK to allow for this kind of thing.

So this is a built in limitation of the weapon script system, and someone needs to modify the SDK to give the weapon system more features available to the script.

Yeah it's not that simple :) My arrows also power up the longer you hold the button, and the launch velocity is different. This is because idProjectile is allowed to take on those kinds of paramaters on launch time.

Unfortunatley, when you define a melee damage entity, that's it. You can't pass it any variables, and there is only one allowed per weapon. So you can't even make the damage more powerful for an overhead swing!

I was talking to Brian (of id Software) about this, and he said you would definetly have to modify the SDK to allow for this kind of thing.

So this is a built in limitation of the weapon script system, and someone needs to modify the SDK to give the weapon system more features available to the script.

Could you modify the script to create a projectile on contact with the sword, that does varying damage based on time held for sword swing??

Like when someone gets hit with the flashlight, on contact, a projectile is created/released that has it's damage set based on how long the fire button was held??

We will need to do this anyway. The current code for the melee weapons is not enough for our purpose, so we will have to revisit this when we code the fighting.

Gerhard