The Dark Mod Forums

Back :0~

squawks

Wasn't sure where to post it, But this is a wip , a serpent like dragon. His going through more changes at the moment but you can see where it's heading anyway. I was orginally thinking 6 arms might leave it at 4 though. Also need to do up the organic plating he has etc. Right now i'm just fixing up the low poly models they are too low hehe, Going to give him an extended neck as well. I want to make this one look almost god like he won't have eyeballs I want the sockets to have a glowing aura from them. Because he is more aquatic by nature I'm probably going to redesign the body some more to include fins of some sort.

anyway sorry if it's big :wacko:

So far i'm leaning towards the bottom right for style changes.

wipdragonwv8.th.jpg

Probably going to change him more so this is very wip. was orignally going to have dragon body but decided more humanoid/snakeish. could change though.

This is cool. If we're gonna have monsters, they have to be fairly original. At least, not werewolf type typical.

I don't know if its so bad that it looks like the warcraft thing. It's a serpent-man thing, that's about all that's similar. Otherwise I think squawks is turning out a bit different than that. For one thing, the warcraft one looks like a sea-dwelling thing, but squawks is obviously a land-dwelling thing.

At the moment it looks very much like an oriental/indian monster--a yuan-ti derivative. I'm not sure how it would fit in with the more european look of the mod.

But hey, if you're going to model, rig, and animate it yourself, then I'm not going to complain. :)

If we're gonna have monsters, they have to be fairly original. At least, not werewolf type typical

From a design standpoint I disagree. The more original the monsters, the less likely they are to be used in maps. Zombies are used in a huge number of FMs because they're a 'typical' monster. People can relate to them and have expectations about what they can do, where they'd be appropriately found, etc.

Unless you're playing in a high-fantasy environment, the more unusual/unique the monster, the greater the effort that has to be made integrating it into a map in a believable way.

Squawks, are you interested in contributing to the mod or just do your own thing? If you want to contribute, then we would appreciate it, if you could do some work that is more urgent at the moment.

Indeed, we could definitely use more help in the animation/ characters department. I know of one monster type creature that you could certainly do a great job on for us. :) The Belcher (our version of the classic Thief Burrick).

Not only that, but we have a partially completed wolfwere that needs to be finished.

From a design standpoint I disagree. The more original the monsters, the less likely they are to be used in maps. Zombies are used in a huge number of FMs because they're a 'typical' monster. People can relate to them and have expectations about what they can do, where they'd be appropriately found, etc.

Unless you're playing in a high-fantasy environment, the more unusual/unique the monster, the greater the effort that has to be made integrating it into a map in a believable way.

And craymen, bug beasts, burricks, and tree monsters are typical? :) It's pretty easy to integrate just about anything, since thief levels have covered pretty much all kinds of environments. These dragon/snake guys could easily be in a cave, just like the "hording dragons" typically are.

Original just means something we haven't seen before, doesn't nessecarily mean it won't fit in with the setting.

And craymen, bug beasts, burricks, and tree monsters are typical? :) It's pretty easy to integrate just about anything, since thief levels have covered pretty much all kinds of environments. These dragon/snake guys could easily be in a cave, just like the "hording dragons" typically are.

Original just means something we haven't seen before, doesn't nessecarily mean it won't fit in with the setting.

The main thing right now though, is where we could best use an individuals talents. With a contributor status, comes the expectation that the individual will contribute 'when they can' things that are of high priority in regards to finishing version 1.0 of the mod. That should start with core features/ assets and move on from there.

I don't think that it would be a problem to use such a dragon down in some dungeon (or even other places), because ti depends more on the storyline. However, these beasts are still pretty special and wont show up in a lot of scenarios. So we must focus on the scenarios that are most typical so that we get the most bang for the buck (so to speek). If we have no servant model but a dragon, that's nice but not helpfull, because servants are much more often used then dragons, so servant models have priority over dragons.

Just to repeat this. We introduced the contributor status to check wehter somebody is willing to work for the mod. The emphasis is being on "for the mod". If somebody likes the setting but wants to do his own thing, then there are two options. He/she stays a normal forum member and when he/she has something that could be usefull for us we would gladly take it, even if it is something that is not a priority for us. Or he/she could become a beta mapper, so he/she can still do their own stuff using the tools to give us feedback. If somebody applies for membership, then he is expected to work in the interest of the mod.

Gerhard

And craymen, bug beasts, burricks, and tree monsters are typical?

They're not particularly unique--especially treemen and bug-beasts, which are found in some variety in most fantasy settings. But regardless, my point was that unique creatures get used less often. The more unique, the less often they are used. How often do you see craymen or bugbeasts in FMs, compared to "typical" monsters like zombies and giant spiders?

Just to repeat this. We introduced the contributor status to check wehter somebody is willing to work for the mod. The emphasis is being on "for the mod". If somebody likes the setting but wants to do his own thing, then there are two options. He/she stays a normal forum member and when he/she has something that could be usefull for us we would gladly take it, even if it is something that is not a priority for us. Or he/she could become a beta mapper, so he/she can still do their own stuff using the tools to give us feedback. If somebody applies for membership, then he is expected to work in the interest of the mod.

Ahh... that's fair enough. I already spoke to her about this actually. She gave me an answer but I think I'll let her think about it and reply here in her own time.

They're not particularly unique--especially treemen and bug-beasts, which are found in some variety in most fantasy settings. But regardless, my point was that unique creatures get used less often. The more unique, the less often they are used. How often do you see craymen or bugbeasts in FMs, compared to "typical" monsters like zombies and giant spiders?

Yeah that's true.