The Dark Mod Forums

Video Card Recommendations

SneaksieDave

Bought a GeForce6800. So far it's running pretty good. It's not going to screeeaaaaammmm of course, because I've still got a slow processor, but I've definitely become CPU limited at least. ;) Starting a new game of Doom3, where you get dropped off by the ship, I used to get between 7-8 FPS (no lie). I now get up to around double that, so it's a definite improvement, if modest.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think it would be better than that, even with your CPU. Do you have recent NVidia drivers? Have you optimized any settings? This site has a LOT of stuff you can do to improve things:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_1.html

Thanks! But yeah, just tried it again and I get 60fps in the first spot (it can't go higher), so yeah you're right :)

Bought a GeForce6800. So far it's running pretty good. It's not going to screeeaaaaammmm of course, because I've still got a slow processor, but I've definitely become CPU limited at least. ;) Starting a new game of Doom3, where you get dropped off by the ship, I used to get between 7-8 FPS (no lie). I now get up to around double that, so it's a definite improvement, if modest.

nice... i bought one a while ago for a 1.8 GHz Celeron machine, but it was also limited by the CPU. What kind of CPU is it... AMD, Pentium 4, Celeron?

Be carefull with overclocking. Do it in small steps, you don't want to overheat or worse damage parts of your system.

nice... i bought one a while ago for a 1.8 GHz Celeron machine, but it was also limited by the CPU. What kind of CPU is it... AMD, Pentium 4, Celeron?

Be carefull with overclocking. Do it in small steps, you don't want to overheat or worse damage parts of your system.

Why not, fry the proc so he has an excuse to get a new one.

Go for a Core 2 Duo @ 1.8 or 2 Ghz. You'll get 10x the performance.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Intel_Core_...ssor,__22879558

Not bad, 213$

Or course you will need a mobo, and some new ram

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Why not, fry the proc so he has an excuse to get a new one.

Go for a Core 2 Duo @ 1.8 or 2 Ghz. You'll get 10x the performance.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Intel_Core_...ssor,__22879558

Not bad, 213$

Or course you will need a mobo, and some new ram

why break it if it's not broken? I'm just saying take small steps with speed jumps. Besides even if he gets a new PC, a second machine is always handy as reserve or whatever.

Komag: Yep, latest drivers, but I will look at the tweak guide. *rubs chin*

Squill: I've got a pentium IV 1.4GHz running right now. Might push it up to 1.6, but I'm not so sure about that yet...

Actually, with regard to overclocking the card itself, I don't see how it's done. With the standard drivers, I get no option to do so. Do I need those forcewares or whatever it's called instead? I might not bother with that though.

Yes, I'd need a whole new system, not just board and RAM. Besides when it's upgrade time, this will become my primary backup (as opposed to my secondary (P2-350! haha) backup or the laptop). ;)

Actually, with regard to overclocking the card itself, I don't see how it's done. With the standard drivers, I get no option to do so. Do I need those forcewares or whatever it's called instead? I might not bother with that though.

Yes, I'd need a whole new system, not just board and RAM. Besides when it's upgrade time, this will become my primary backup (as opposed to my secondary (P2-350! haha) backup or the laptop). ;)

If it's not a gf 6800 ultra/gt you might be able to unlock the pixel pipelines with rivatuner:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=13

Here's directions for that:

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_68...cking/page2.asp

Coolbits allows extra functions to be displayed in the control panel like overclocking. Same site as above.

Although I wouldn't try the 9x.xx series of forceware drivers since I consistently had a black screen when exiting a 3d program like the nvidia demos or d3.

Hey, I got that too! Twice so far. It seemed changing the settings of a game, and then exiting the game triggered it. Once I restarted, it hasn't happened again.

And it better not. :angry:

I read somewhere that the nv software is trying to use the other monitor connection. I really didn't want to find out though :mellow:

• 1 month later...

Time to resurrect an old thread. Just placed an order for a new video card today. I think I got a pretty sweet deal on it...$135, after a $30 rebate. Also picked up a 500 Watt power supply while I was at it, so it would push my order over $200 and I would qualify for the $5 shipping special that was being offered. :) The same card was $171 yesterday, glad I waited. This is the card I bought.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...=2&NoMapp=0

Ah, very nice deal, that card should serve you well for a good while :)

Yup, for all the gaming I do...it should work out nicely. I can open up the 4 extra pipelines and additional shader on this version too. I've had the FX 5200 for around 2 or 3 years now....I'll likely get two years out of this one. I don't demand a whole lot as a gamer...I'll only be playing Dark Mod levels anyway....well, perhaps Far Cry and Fear as well. I was never able to see them beyond low settings. Also hoping I'll be able to record some nice beta level footage to release publicly on the rare occasion. ;)

Holy crap! If you're going from a 5200 you're going to see a MONSTROUS improvement!!! I almost envy you!

...but I think the XTs (and the GTs, which I have) already have the full 16 pipelines open, it's only the vanilla 6800's that are running 12 and you can possibly open the other 4.

I previously had a 6800 and tried to open the 4, but I got tons of artifacts, lines, and junk on the screen no matter what I did, so I closed them back and it worked back to normal and I breathed a sigh of relief!

...EDIT - wait a minute, the site says it only has 8 pipelines, what the...?

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

That's the same video card I bought over a year ago, only I got the PCIE16x version.

One thing that has occured is that after mildly overclocking (380/1070) it for a year it started to destabilize, the screen kept distorting, shrinking and expanding. I don't know if it was just a weak card I got or XFX poor overclocking capability.

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

Yup, for all the gaming I do...it should work out nicely. I can open up the 4 extra pipelines and additional shader on this version too. I've had the FX 5200 for around 2 or 3 years now....I'll likely get two years out of this one. I don't demand a whole lot as a gamer...I'll only be playing Dark Mod levels anyway....well, perhaps Far Cry and Fear as well. I was never able to see them beyond low settings. Also hoping I'll be able to record some nice beta level footage to release publicly on the rare occasion. ;)

There's a reason that they repackage these cards as only having 8/12 pipes; there's something wrong with the others that is preventing them from selling it for more money with all pipes enabled. So unlocking the pipes is iffy for most cards. Sometimes you get a card where the pipes are completely not working so you really have no choice. But if you are lucky, you might get a good one.

Nice find there though, that is an amazing upgrade from the shit (sorry, it's true) 5200.

That's about the same price as I paid for my X850 XT a few months ago, except that we get ripped off by a ridiculous 1 GBP = 1 USD conversion (when in fact 1 GBP is about 2 USD).

Yeah pretty close: 1 British pound = 1.9594 U.S. dollars