The Dark Mod Forums

Randomransom's Application Thread [closed]

New Horizon

Well, as I said in my other post, I don't know if I have anything really great to show you. I'd also want to see if I'm going to be getting broadband (finally) out here. Then I'd be able to upload what little I have done in Character Studio (no skins or bones to them). I may be able to show you my animated stapler that I did in one of my really early animation classes.

It's nice and short (hence lower in size). I don't know how much it will apply to what I can do in the Doom 3 engine or what I'm capable of outside of anthropomorphizing inanimate objects.

I'm in the midst of finals for this term at school, presently, but I'll have a week and a half off that I can mostly dedicate to working on stuff for you guys. I'll also spend more of my free time working on stuff for you as well. I'd rather do that than waste my time rotting in front of the TV.

I've never done attachments so we'll see how this works... Ok. Never mind. I can't upload MOV files. You don't get to see my crappy stapler animation. :D

I guess I'll try and get my feet wet sometime during this week and definitely next week to show you what I'm capable of in the technical department. I'd enjoy knowing what file types I can upload, though. Is that in the FAQ or something?

I'm a very quick study when it comes to computer programs, and I've got a huge passion to create (and that means anything in general). I've got an affinity for abstract thought and creativity. That's what I offer outside of a basic knowledge of animation in 3D. I've mostly done graphic design stuff, thus far (Photoshop and Illustrator), but I've been told that I have good instincts in animation and 3D in general (Poser, 3DS Max, and Bryce not sure how much that helps, though). I keep getting complimented on my drawing skills, though I work best when I have something to look at (and I'm a slow artist). I have a general knowledge of game design with at least two classes I've taken. I wrote a basic Game Design Document that was almost 40 pages long (and didn't include nearly everything that I have planned for the game). That was, however, my first GDD... oh, and if you haven't noticed yet... I have a propensity for verbosity. :)

I've contributed once to an online game. It was many years ago when Action Quake was popular. I created a skin called "Dark Being" (Messiah model) under the pseudonym Vengence which got published in one of the Skin/Model Packs. I tried my hand at one or two other skins, but I lost interest due to other things in my life.

Outside of that, I have an affinity for dark, creepy, and sneaky things. I've been into stealth games since Thief: the Dark Project. I agree that true stealth games are first person... it draws you in more. I remember sticking to the shadows, listening for people coming, and planning my movements ahead of time after playing Thief for hours on end. Every game I've come across that has a stealth aspect, I've tried out. I can think of no place better to start my mod experience than here with the Dark Mod. I'm in this for the long haul because I want to make games for a living.

Again, that's all the stuff I offer that I can't just show you (and just the tip of the iceberg as to who I am and my interests). We'll have to see what I can show you as time goes on. Getting broadband (and if it works out here), experience with how you do animation, and the amount of time I can dedicate to the work will determine what I'll have to show and how much I can contribute at any given time. I'd love to show you that shoringin ryu catta I animated in Character Studio (at the very least). I'm sure I can work around the no broadband thing, but I just thought I'd mention it anyway.

Again, I wanted to say that I don't know if I’m skilled or experienced enough to be a member here, but I'd be honored to contribute. If I don't end up being good for your animation team, then I could try other things too. I'm versatile. Oh, and don't expect me to just stick to doing animation if you have a need elsewhere.

Ah, and the last thing I'd like to mention is that I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I've been busy with school and finals are this week... though, I already mentioned that, in part. I just felt the need to apologize.

Attrectare formositatem atque venustatem egeo.

~V

"I have your thumb tack! If you ever want to see it again, you'll do as I say." -- Random Ransom :ph34r:

p.s. I went out and bought Doom 3 the other day. I'm all set, as far as I know, to start sticking my feet in.

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention that I wanted to. If you need any focal actors, I can do a pretty convincing Irish and Brittish accent. Then I'm decent at a French accent too. Making my voice sound like different people is another tallent I have. I've also been told I'm a good actor (both on stage and in Table-top RPG games).

Just as something else I can offer. :blush:

I'm not sure exactly what task would be appropriate. One thing we could use help with is getting some of our non-ai models animated. We have a grandfather clock that is supposed to have a swinging pendulum, but I can't get it to animate in game. There are also a couple of other models that are supposed to have moving parts. Do you think you might be able to look into that? You'd need to be able to create/modify the animations and then figure out how to write the def file for D3.

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention that I wanted to. If you need any focal actors, I can do a pretty convincing Irish and Brittish accent. Then I'm decent at a French accent too. Making my voice sound like different people is another tallent I have. I've also been told I'm a good actor (both on stage and in Table-top RPG games).

Just as something else I can offer. :blush:

Vocal sets are all being done in-house, for quality control purposes. Thanks for the offer though. :)

Hey guys,

Knee deep in finals at the moment, but I'll be done by Sunday. Then I'll have a week and a half to almost completely dedicate to becoming accustomed to the working environment for you guys. Keep in mind that the closest I've come to Moding a game was creating those skins for Action Quake in a really cheesy paint program. Editing definition files and/or transferring animations from one program into D3 will be completely new to me. I'm willing to do my very best to learn though.

So the clock is already animated but it needs to be put into a def file that will work properly in the game?

Animating objects will definitely be my forte. I can do that in Max pretty easily. It's getting them from there into D3 that will be the learning experience for me. Unless there's a way to model and animate directly inside D3. I could probably learn that pretty quickly, as well.

Yeah, my fingers are twitching and itching to get my hands working on anything that contributes to the creation of games. A dream come true at my finger tips. :)

That did come to mind. I only have a pretty crappy eighth inch mic and probably a lot of noise coming from my computer and surround sound speakers. Though I'm sans CRT monitor so the flat panel wouldn't add to the noise, but I'm sure that's too much for quality control anyway. I just figured that I'd offer. Oh, did I mention I have a little experience with sound as well (Associate of Arts Degree in Multimedia Tech). I don't, however, have a mixing board or any good equipment for sound... so that probably doesn't help. I can be good for quality control though. :)

If I haven't explained my way out of looking helpful to you guys, then I'll be here. Well, now that I know about you guys, you'll probably have trouble getting rid of me. ^_^

Attrectare formositatem atque venustatem egeo.

~V

"I have your shoelace! If you ever want to see it again, you'll do as I say." -- Random Ransom :ph34r:

You know what? In getting the grandfather clock files ready for you, I actually stumbled onto what was causing the problem, and was able to fix it. :)

I have another task for you, however. We have a completed generator model that needs to be animated. I'll try to get you the files tomorrow.

You know, it looks like there might be a problem with animated objects right now, so before we animate any new props we want to check a few things out.

In the meantime, I have another task that won't even require any TDM assets. We're currently using two Doom3 monsters in TDM--zombies and the Vagary(sp?) (the giant spider-woman). Both of them currently have walk animations that are too fast. We're using them for running, but we need slower versions. We'd like to have a walking animation for both of them. It might be a simple matter of slowing the animation down, but I don't know--that can sometimes make it look like the character is gliding.

Why don't you have a go at one or both of those? The zombie (boney version) needs to have a walk speed of about half its current speed. The vagary needs to have a walk speed about a quarter as fast as its current speed (which is called 'walk', but will be used as 'run' for TDM).

I'll definitely look into that, but I'll have to get the editor up and running and such. I'll have to become accustomed to the inner workings and such. I've got all week to do that, though. I'll definitely give it a go.

I know what you're talking about with the gliding, but if it's done right, all that will be needed is a slowdown of the legs and maybe the upper body a bit too. I'm sure this will be interesting for me to figure out. I'm sure it's going to be fun, though.

~V

In the meantime here's a drawing of Lestat that I did from the cover of the movie.

Or not since 87KB is apparently "greater than your per post or global limit" for file size attachments. I guess that means I can't show you guys much of my work then?

"I have your drive space! If you ever want to see it again, you'll do as I say." -- Random Ransom :ph34r:

May I suggest you point him to some tutes that will give him the knowledge necessary to do what he wants to do? Particularly in adding his anims into D3.

V

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 3 weeks later...

Since there has been no activity here for a month I've reassigned those tasks.