The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Yes, this is a known issue. The way it's currently setup there is no way to wrap the text. If I force the TextureBrowser openGL routines to draw the text in two lines, this would screw up the click-select calculations, because the TextureBrowser expects all text in the window to take just a single line (and takes the pixel height into account).

If we want to address this problem, I'll have to rewrite a considerable amount of that code. This is not a bad thing given the current solution, but I don't know if it's really worth it.

edit: I could think of a workaround, if I let a tooltip appear when the mouse is positioned over a texture, displaying the full name. Would this help in this matter?

I don't think that's worth it. After all, mapper select textures based on the image, not on the name. And if somebody needs to know the name, then you show it in the browser anyway, right? If not, you could simply add an additional field where the info is displayed in full whenever a texture is clicked on.

Gerhard

No, don't waste too much on this but if a tooltip can be done fairly easily then that would be a good fix IMO. There's another way to see the name by dragging a temp brush, clicking the texture and hitting s for the surface inspector.

The texture window is actually a rather poor design in my opinion, using OpenGL to render what is really a user interface component. Ideally this would be done some other way, perhaps using Gtk/Gdk GUI elements, but I don't know enough about the drawing-related widgets to implement this.

Just tried to implement the tooltips, but as it seems the OpenGL widget doesn't react to such things.

I could add a status bar to the texture browser to display the shader on mouseover, but this would decrease the visible widget height even more. I'm a bit uncertain what to do here.

What is that white text input line at the top for?

Can the status bar go at the side of the buttons at the top?

I'm assuming there is no easy way to reduce the vertical space between rows of textures? It seems generous especially if one is stuck for room for one line for a status bar. If a status bar were included it might just or as well show the name of the selected instead of/or as well as hover.

The text input is to filter textures. I never used it very much nor did I test it extensively. If you find that this is not functional, I'll be happy to ditch it, but it should work.

I can look into the vertical spacing and see if it can be easily reduced.

I have plenty of room since I only open the texture browser occasionally, so certainly wouldn't mind an extra line for the name.

You can also slightly increase the texture thumbnail pixel size in the preferences, up to 150 or something, which gives a little more room for the text above.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Yes, increasing the size does allow the whole text to show - though it only works in the 'non-constant size' mode.

In the preferences there is an option to remove the filter line. The filter line is very iffy. If I enter 'v' then it just shows visportal but if I enter c then it shows caulk, collision, clouds but it also shows others like shadow, rough_brick_grey. (maybe c is in the full path?)

I removed the scroll bar and will probably just use the mouse wheel to save a bit of space.

I've never seen that text input box on the Textures tab work correctly, or at all (I think I mentioned this somewhere long ago, but maybe not). In fact, if I toggle buttons above it, it disappears. :laugh:

It seems like it might be an appropriate place to put the selected shader name.

Anyway is there a specific reason why clicks in the Texture browser don't put the selected into the clipboard? Shouldn't the Texture browser and Media browser be linked, in that a click in one sorts to the same in the other? There might be an obvious reason not to do this, but it's escaping me right now. You can single click in Textures to select one, but to what end, what does this accomplish if you have no brush selected? Nothing - it doesn't go to clipboard, it doesn't get remembered, it's of no real help.

Again though, there might be a very important workflow reason for this though which I'm forgetting... proceed with caution! :)

Generally I wouldn't vote for putting stuff on the clipboard until an explicit "Copy to clipboard" operation is performed. You wouldn't expect your clipboard to be overwritten in Word every time you clicked on a different part of the document, for example.

Both Texture scrollbar and Texture filter re-appeared this morning even though still disabled in the texture browser preferences. But the scrollbar, although it had the back panel did not have the slider. I have re-enabled for now as if it is going to be there I may as well use it.

Just tried to implement the tooltips, but as it seems the OpenGL widget doesn't react to such things.

I could add a status bar to the texture browser to display the shader on mouseover, but this would decrease the visible widget height even more. I'm a bit uncertain what to do here.

What about setting it on the window name? You can't copy it in this case, but at least you can see it. Also I wonder why you have problems. The dialog is not THAT big, so there should be room to increase, right?

Gerhard

greebo: They work but fail later. It's saved because they were still checked. I'll put it on bug tracker when I've looked again at exactly what happens.

sparhawk: Every inch saved is good for me as my screen is absolutely crammed and I like to get the max useful space and min wasted space. At least with DR one can maximize orthoview and especially camera view as needed just by double clicking the title. But wish I had a 30 inch screen so I didn't have to. It's miles better than Dromed anyway.

The title bar name sounds a possible solution. The name 'Texture Browser' could just be the default when nothing selected.

Generally I wouldn't vote for putting stuff on the clipboard until an explicit "Copy to clipboard" operation is performed. You wouldn't expect your clipboard to be overwritten in Word every time you clicked on a different part of the document, for example.

In general I'd agree, but it already is copied (and to good use) by a click in the media tab; I was just wondering if we should make the two tabs (media and textures) consistent in behavior, or if not, why.

I've made a suggestion for a manual function (so it doesn't interfere with current behavior) here:

http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=324

Edit: about the filter box, is that being fixed? I was suggesting that be used for the texture name, but if it's fixed, even better. I guess it needs an entry, I'll check if one exists.

Edit: tracked. http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=325

I'm beginning to think my first guess was right. If you enter a single letter in the texture filter then it displays all textures where that letter appears anywhere in the full path and name! So it seems anyway. Entering V just showed visportal. Entering q just displayed 'square_pattern01_lit' and entering b displayed everything with b in the name including 'textures/darkmod/nature/skybox/starry1/clouds' where the b is in skyBox. :)

[EDIT] Yes, definite. I just entered 'moo' and as well as 'moon' I got 'textures/darkmod/stone/flat/sMOOth/ceramic_tile_tan03'

[EDIT2] and it's case sensitive so cer and not CER for ceramic. Makes more sense when entering a short distinctive string when you have a rough idea what you want but not a lot of use to show say everything beginning with P.

The latest snapshot includes the following:

t814644_texturebrowsercontextmenu.jpg

The name is ellipsized if its length exceeds the preference setting and the context menu can be used to seek the texture in the MediaBrowser (this also triggers a ShaderClipboard update).

Nice! Thanks for those. :) But.. did the upload succeed? I just downloaded it and the newest files in the package are from 6/20, and the new functionality doesn't seem to be in.

Also, I updated #325 -- didn't realize it does actually work, but must be enabled in Prefs. So the bug is not that the filter doesn't work, but that sometimes it shows (but doesn't function) even when it's not enabled.