The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

I guess this doesn't deserve it's own thread, so here it goes:

Segmentation fault on right click in 3d view (clean svn co + scons BUILD="release"):

(darkradiant:20276): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_focus: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
bash: [17832: 5] tcsetattr: Interrupted system call
Segmentation fault

Nope, I can't reproduce that in Linux either (I checked both debug and release mode). However, I get a segfault on shutdown (after the exit() call), but the right-clicking is working as it should.

edit: Can you provide a stacktrace perhaps?

That's the backtrace (recompiled with BUILD="debug"):

(darkradiant:5233): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_focus: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread -1232226608 (LWP 5233)]
0x083066ca in FreezePointer::freeze_pointer (this=0x990fd84, window=0x0, 
function=0x83d4526 <Camera_motionDelta(int, int, unsigned int, void*)>, data=0x990fb6c) at libs/gtkutil/cursor.h:168
168		 gdk_pointer_grab(GTK_WIDGET(window)->window, TRUE, mask, 0, cursor, GDK_CURRENT_TIME);
(gdb) bt
#0  0x083066ca in FreezePointer::freeze_pointer (this=0x990fd84, window=0x0, 
function=0x83d4526 <Camera_motionDelta(int, int, unsigned int, void*)>, data=0x990fb6c) at libs/gtkutil/cursor.h:168
#1  0x083d5c2a in CamWnd::enableFreeMove (this=0x990f800) at radiant/camera/CamWnd.cpp:343
#2  0x083d5c9f in enable_freelook_button_press (widget=0x990dae0, event=0x9922378, camwnd=0x990f800)
at radiant/camera/CamWnd.cpp:195
#3  0xb7bdc490 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#4  0x0990dae0 in ?? ()
#5  0x09922378 in ?? ()
#6  0x0990f800 in ?? ()
#7  0xb79196e8 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
#8  0xb7bdc430 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
#9  0xffffffff in ?? ()
#10 0xbfdde388 in ?? ()
#11 0xb78e9ec9 in g_closure_invoke () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
Backtrace stopped: frame did not save the PC

Oh yeah, more bugs! Would you care to post them into the bugtracker? Or do you have time to look into the missing images?

I can probably fix the splitpane/regular view quite fast, it's just that I must not forget. :)

Oh yeah, more bugs! Would you care to post them into the bugtracker? Or do you have time to look into the missing images?

I can probably fix the splitpane/regular view quite fast, it's just that I must not forget. :)

I was also looking into making this dialog a splitplane dialog, but it isn't just setting a flag, you have to rewrite portions of the code to do that and I am not familiar with GTK2 at all, so Iwas browing their doc today and spent quite a while getting up to speed - but haven't been able to change that yet (I was first getting DR to run, then "wasted" time mapping :)

I don't mind if you fix the dialog, if not, I have a go at it maybe tomorrow.

The crash I can confirm, I also have floating layout. I just subscribed to the bug tracker page, but email hasn't arrived yet. Probably hold hostage by spam checker :)

(God, it takes ages to setup everything, I hope by the end of the week I am done :D

All the best,

Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I just enabled your account: I assigned you developer privileges for DarkRadiant and reporter privileges for The Dark Mod project. Let me know if it works. :)

Many thanx, it seems to work. (I didn't know you have to do that manually)

All the best,

Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Well, I started my studies (BA, for those who know it) last thursday, so I'm quite busy right now (moved out a week ago and working from 6:30 to 18:00), additionally I have to check with my company whether it is ok that I work on DarkRadiant. So in fact I'd like to get those things settled before starting anything new...

If I understood right, Tels wants to do it, so that should be fine.

(BA, for those who know it)

BA? Is that short for Bachelor of Arts?

additionally I have to check with my company whether it is ok that I work on DarkRadiant.

I assume you mean working on DarkRadiant during your work time? :)

BA? Is that short for Bachelor of Arts?

It means "Berufs Akademie" (german), it's offers sort of dual studies, you study and work in a company in rotation, it's meant to get you the practise of job live and you don't have to apply for a job afterwards, you normally just stay in that company. Even though I'm still pondering whether this is the best step to take...

I assume you mean working on DarkRadiant during your work time? :)
I'm afraid not, I have to get an authorization for every work I do not related to the company, but I guess it shouldn't be a problem with DarkRadiant. We'll see.

I'm afraid not, I have to get an authorization for every work I do not related to the company, but I guess it shouldn't be a problem with DarkRadiant. We'll see.

Wow, there must be some really fascist laws in your part of the world. In the UK the company can only make IP-related claims over private works if they are related to your job in some way (my company has such a clause, but since my job involves writing Java web applications and has nothing to do with games or 3D graphics in any way, I have no intention of asking for any kind of permission).

It means "Berufs Akademie" (german), it's offers sort of dual studies, you study and work in a company in rotation, it's meant to get you the practise of job live and you don't have to apply for a job afterwards, you normally just stay in that company. Even though I'm still pondering whether this is the best step to take...

Ah, I see. Well it all has pros and cons, I guess. So far I didn't regret it attending the technical university, but everyone is different, of course.

WTF? They can't be serious about that. Are you a slave or something? Everything I do in my free-time (especially working on an open-source project for free) is my own business, except for the cases OrbWeaver mentioned, like giving away company code or something like that. What comes next? Do you need permission for going to concerts, because they don't want you to be tired the next day? :huh: Be careful which contracts you sign, and even then some contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on (some clauses won't hold when brought before a labour court).

Are you sure? As far as I know this is a standard clause in the cotnracts, but it only applies when you do competing work. I know because I opened a shop (kind of) at some time, which I run from home, and asked if I have to get permission for this from my employer and the answer was no, because it was completely unrelated to my normal work.

Even if you have a more strict clause in your contract, it's questionable if it can hold you, because law overrides contracts if they conflict, and in this case, it might be a restriction that can not apply as it would put you in a quite restricted position and it may be "sittenwidrig".

Gerhard

WTF? They can't be serious about that. Are you a slave or something? Everything I do in my free-time (especially working on an open-source project for free) is my own business, except for the cases OrbWeaver mentioned, like giving away company code or something like that.

Not neccessarily. If you work on some (not neccessarilly) private software that is in direct competition with your companies work, they can indeed request that you stop it or cancel your contract because it could be interpreted as a conflict in interests.

Gerhard

Not neccessarily. If you work on some (not neccessarilly) private software that is in direct competition with your companies work, they can indeed request that you stop it or cancel your contract because it could be interpreted as a conflict in interests.

This all only applies if you do business on the side. What you do as your non-profit hobby is entirely yours - otherwise your company could also forbid you to read certain books, or write your diary about a certain topic, or go to your favourite pub and discuss stuff with people there.

And I am sure we can all agree that expressing your opinion in the form of an three-dimensional map including an interactive story and then giving it away to people is just...an art form :D

Tels

Can't get 'Look through selected' to work. Never used this before but I assume it is to place the camera at the origin and orientation of a selection? I mostly just move the camera with Ctrl+MMB but this generally needs repeating in a side view.

I don't know what this option is for either, I'll have to look in the code.

edit: I don't think it's working. It relies on Instances deriving from CameraModel, but no Instance in the current codebase is doing that, so this function never does anything. It's probably a candidate for removal. :)

It's more a candidate for proper implementation. :) Especially if it is tied to the model, so that you can move the model around and the cameraview is updated. :)

Well, my major problem with the camera view is that the jumpwidth is so high. Can one adjust the stepping so that the camera moves smoother?

Gerhard