The Dark Mod Forums

Itches, Glitches & Anything Else...

Just wanted to ask this again, am I the only one seeing these dimensions all wacked like this?:

xyzmeasure2.jpg

Back in April I think I was on 0.9.7pre1, now I'm using 0.9.7pre10

Sorry, I must have missed that completely. So the problem is that there is a missing space before "y:"? I can fix that easily, I reckon.

That too, but more importantly it's too many numbers. It used to be very simple which I liked, like this from Fidcal's tutorial:

AZblock.jpg

You can see this shows only the width on the bottom, only the height on the side, and on the top is only the origin location.

In my above pic the width is on the bottom, but on the side is the width AND height, and on the top is the width AND height AND origin location.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

@OrbWeaver: I've been looking at the roadmap to 0.9.7 and it seems we're pretty close already. Do you mind if I look into this issue: Cannot use 'Choose model' for existing to change skin?

I can also help with the Objectives Editor, now that the Namespace is in beta stage.

Should a prefab load directly into the selected layer(s)? I prepared an alcove layer and loaded the alcove prefab but it disappeared into the default.

I could easily move it but I don't know what the pros and cons of this are or if it has been discussed before but thought it worth mentioning.

Maybe when loading a prefab you could right then pick the layer it goes to?

Sorry, I don't understand? Do you mean you could load it and then let the user select the target layer?

Yes, it's not too bad at the moment. When a prefab loads it is automatically already selected and one can just select 'move to layer' or 'add to layer'. Problem is, the prefab disappears into the default (if default hidden.) As I recall, I thought 'where's it gone?' because sometimes prefabs have an offset so you need to find them.

I only brought this up to load them straight into the currently selected layers would be consistent with creating new things and that was my instinctive reaction to create a layer to receive the incoming prefab.

I can live with any solution, be it adding the prefab to the topmost active layer or to all currently visible ones. If you guys can agree on a reasonable default, please add it to the tracker. :)

The layersystem is not yet mature, so it needs a good revisit some time anyway.

Ah is there compatibility with Vista then? Just loaded up DR on my new PC and it's a bit buggered: the XY shows nothing, the camera shows the grid.

When I open a map it runs awfully, and the camera flicks between the grid and the view.

Even menus are buggered, when I open one the title goes completely white.

Ah is there compatibility with Vista then? Just loaded up DR on my new PC and it's a bit buggered: the XY shows nothing, the camera shows the grid.

When I open a map it runs awfully, and the camera flicks between the grid and the view.

Even menus are buggered, when I open one the title goes completely white.

You should set your vista theme to windows classic, it looks like hell (winxp classic) but it will restore the functionality of DR. BTW Vista, for me, furns DarkRadiant way faster than XP for some reason.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I just got back to darkmod mapping and finally switched completely over to DarkRadiant. And I have to say wow! It's really gone a long way and apart from the lack of shadows in the 3d preview it's far superior in pretty much all areas. I'm especially in love with the texture tool dialog, I can't believe I've been able to work without something like this before.

So yeah, just chiming in with my support. :)

I just got back to darkmod mapping and finally switched completely over to DarkRadiant. And I have to say wow! It's really gone a long way and apart from the lack of shadows in the 3d preview it's far superior in pretty much all areas. I'm especially in love with the texture tool dialog, I can't believe I've been able to work without something like this before.

So yeah, just chiming in with my support. :)

Thanks, something like that is always nice to read! :)

Hmm, I dont think I like the idea of having it add to ALL visible layers. I dunno, I think having it add only to the default layer makes the most sense, although I can see where Fidcal is coming from. So if Default layer is visible, it should add to that, but if it's not, but more than one other layer is visible, should it really add to all of them? Which one is the "top" one, the one at the top of the list?

So basically I'm saying that if I have ALL my layers visible, I want it only to add to the default layer. Maybe it could be an option, you can set it so prefabs add only to Default layer (whether visible or not), to topmost visible layer, or to all visible layers (and maybe even an option for all layers, visible or not).

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I'm wrong - I was sure the other day I created an entity or brush or model or something and it went into all the selected layers. But I was wrong I think. It seems to go in the highest one on the list that is selected. But if you insert a prefab it goes in default even if not selected.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting a strange bug where all of a sudden, my layers disappear. The brushes and objects, etc, are still present in the map but in the Layers window only Default is there.

After the layers vanish, if I try to create another brush, all of my brushes/objects that used to be attached to other layers suddenly disappear themselves and I'm left only with the Default layer and its assigned stuff. Unchecking and checking off the Default layer will also cause everything else to disappear. Not yet sure under what circumstances the layers are disappearing in the first place, but it's happened three times already with 0.9.7........

I got around it by selecting everything and adding it back to the Default layer, after the layers disappeared but before all my work disappeared... then I'm fine until it happens again.

Hm, the layer handling definitely needs stabilising, there is also the bug which causes DarkRadiant to crash when the layer file is borked. I'm sorry that I can't do too much against this right now - I have too much going on at the moment to look at anything DarkRadiant-related.

Ever since I got 0.9.7, DR seems to get bugged up. I'll start working on something and I can't hit ESC to deselect anything. So I save it, exit out and I get that don't send error box.

Anyone else experience this?

It didn't start doing this until after I updated.

my specs:

Q6600

4 gig ram

WinXP SP3

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Yes, I have also experienced this, but prior to going to 0.9.7 release. I haven't found reliable repro. Last time I saw it, I believe I was cycling groups on a func_static or similar entity. Then, when I went to select another entity, I couldn't. At that point, ESC wasn't clearing the selection anymore.

0.9.7. Load saint_lucia.map and save with a new name. It always crashes DR (well 3 times I tried) and no save. Saving with a new name always seems to hang for a really long time processing. Don't know what is different to saving with the same name - maybe I should just copy the file and rename it in Explorer first for now.

[EDIT] don't know if it's a filename problem - I was renaming as objectives_editor_test.map so kinda long name, maybe?